I really don't know much about Linux, except that it is a pretty cool system, AND i'd probably install it as my OS for my next computer build...
At the moment the only experience i have is with my host accounts. One think i notice is the host is great at taking my money but does not offer any bug support or troubleshooting support for my website build. But that's understandable as life is like that.
My problem is this:
I am building a Drupal installation at my host server.
The server is this: Debian GNU/Linux ... i looked at the Debian website and it looks great.
For my Drupal install, i have chosen to symlink some folders.
The theory behind this is to softlink the folders, and the target folder will have all the files while the 'linked' folder will be empty. I thought the linked folder would automatically open the files within the 'target' folder no problem at all (once i open the index page in the browser).
But so far it looks like the softlinks i have created for the folders are not working like that at all.
I don't know why the empty 'linked' folder is not calling all the files within the 'target' folder.
I have done a search for a post here, and other forums and a problem like this is virtually non existent.
I'm a noob to symlinks in Linux, but i thought (in theory) this must be able to work as i had set out. I can't understand why it doesn't work.
The command line call i made to create the link looked like this:
ln -s /home/www/folder_a/folder_name_1/symlink_named_this /home/www/folder_b/folder_name_1
As i understand it, it is like this:
- ln is to create a symlink
- -s is a softlink (for folders)
- /folder_a ...path a, to target folder
- /folder_b ...path b, linked folder
- /folder_name_1 ...the folder(s) that are linked: ie, /folder_a/folder_name_1 is the target, and /folder_b/folder_name_1 is the linked folder
- 'symlink_named_this' ...this is the name of the symlink that i have created, it is about 4 Kb in size and visible in the /folder_b/folder_name_1 folder after i have created the link to the target folder. In other words, i can see it in the folder.
As is said, it all looks fine to me. I don't know why it is not working.
Can anyone help?