LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
choppervon
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
Switched to Linux server, Flash site not playing


I switched to a Linux from a Windows server in order to install a shopping cart, and now the site won't show. What code do I need to change/add? Here's the existing, the site is doghouselords.com. Thanks in advance:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>DoghouseLords.com</title>
<style type="text/css">
<!--
body {
background-color: #000000;
}
#apDiv1 {
position:absolute;
left:102px;
top:0px;
width:213px;
height:223px;
z-index:1;
}
-->
</style>
<script src="Scripts/AC_RunActiveContent.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
</head>

<body>
<div id="apDiv1">
<script type="text/javascript">
AC_FL_RunContent( 'codebase','http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,28,0','width','770','height','650','src','Doghouse Lords website 1','quality','high','pluginspage','http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash','movie','Doghouse Lords website 1' ); //end AC code
</script><noscript><object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,28,0" width="770" height="650">
<param name="movie" value="Doghouse Lords website 1.swf" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<embed src="Doghouse Lords website 1.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="770" height="650"></embed>
</object>

</noscript></div>
</body>
</html>
 
Old 09-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
jstephens84
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: Nashville
Distribution: Manjaro, RHEL, CentOS
Posts: 2,098

Rep: Reputation: 102Reputation: 102
EDIT I am a not functioning correctly today. So I looked over the script again and I was wrong.
However can you post the location of your site is Like /var/www and where is the location of Doghouse Lords website 1.swf like /flash

Also just as a recommendation I would change the filename and remove the spaces or fill them in with _underscores.

Last edited by jstephens84; 09-08-2009 at 01:03 PM.
 
Old 09-08-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,063

Rep: Reputation: 381Reputation: 381Reputation: 381Reputation: 381
The usual problems are about case sensitivity. In Linux (or any other unix-alike) the case matters. So, check all the paths and file names.
 
Old 09-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
29t88
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Distribution: CentOS 5.3
Posts: 62

Rep: Reputation: 17
Is it a swf or is it a flv /fla file?
(as in the flash one)
Because as far as i know shockwave files are not supported in Linux, Flash However Are If You Download This
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer
 
Old 09-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
jstephens84
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: Nashville
Distribution: Manjaro, RHEL, CentOS
Posts: 2,098

Rep: Reputation: 102Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29t88 View Post
Is it a swf or is it a flv /fla file?
(as in the flash one)
Because as far as i know shockwave files are not supported in Linux, Flash However Are If You Download This
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer
I don't think that matters as apache is just serving up the html file. Your client is what determines whether flash or shockwave will play. Both of those are client based players. The server only needs to know where the flash / shockwave files are and anyother task that it must preform such as cgi / php scripting.
 
Old 09-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,063

Rep: Reputation: 381Reputation: 381Reputation: 381Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens84 View Post
I don't think that matters as apache is just serving up the html file. Your client is what determines whether flash or shockwave will play. Both of those are client based players. The server only needs to know where the flash / shockwave files are and anyother task that it must preform such as cgi / php scripting.
Right. The server side here is irrelevant. All the server does is to send the html file to your browser.

If flash was a server side technology, in first place, you wouldn't need to install a flash plugin on the client side.
 
Old 09-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
29t88
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Distribution: CentOS 5.3
Posts: 62

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens84 View Post
I don't think that matters as apache is just serving up the html file. Your client is what determines whether flash or shockwave will play. Both of those are client based players. The server only needs to know where the flash / shockwave files are and anyother task that it must preform such as cgi / php scripting.
True, but he said he tried to view it, that means he is using his computer as a client and server to it, so in order for him to view it, he needs flash or shockwave, but then again ive got flash and couldnt view it when i went to the site.
 
Old 09-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,063

Rep: Reputation: 381Reputation: 381Reputation: 381Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29t88 View Post
True, but he said he tried to view it, that means he is using his computer as a client and server to it
I don't see the part where he says that the client is Linux based (or that the client and the server are the same machine). That's either an assumption you made or something that my eyes didn't detect.

But if that's truly the case then that would explain the problem. There's no shockwave client for Linux as you say. Maybe it will work on IE under wine, no idea.

PS. I've just tried doghouselords.com on firefox here (Gentoo Linux) and I can see the page perfectly, or at least so it seems.

Last edited by i92guboj; 09-08-2009 at 05:57 PM.
 
Old 09-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #9
choppervon
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thanks for the replies, the site is one swf (made in Flash 8), in Dreamweaver cs3, I'm amazed i92guboj can see it and we can't. I double checked the paths, renamed the swf and underscored the spaces. The site was running until we switched, love to figure it out, don't think I want to be running a shopping cart in Windows hosting.
 
Old 09-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #10
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,063

Rep: Reputation: 381Reputation: 381Reputation: 381Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppervon View Post
Thanks for the replies, the site is one swf (made in Flash 8), in Dreamweaver cs3, I'm amazed i92guboj can see it and we can't. I double checked the paths, renamed the swf and underscored the spaces. The site was running until we switched, love to figure it out, don't think I want to be running a shopping cart in Windows hosting.
This is what I see when using seamonkey 2, take a look and tell me if it's right or there's something missing.

http://jesgue.homelinux.org/screensh...elords.com.jpg

However, out of couriosity, I've done some checks, and the site doesn't show up when using firefox, konqueror or arora. Which leads me to believe that there's something broken in that site.

In fact, the w3m validators fails, so, before anything else, fix the code, then you can worry if it continue failing.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...Inline&group=0

Ps. This is one of the reasons why I don't like the Adobe suite, it always produces broken code.
 
Old 09-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
choppervon
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
This is what I see when using seamonkey 2, take a look and tell me if it's right or there's something missing.

http://jesgue.homelinux.org/screensh...elords.com.jpg

However, out of couriosity, I've done some checks, and the site doesn't show up when using firefox, konqueror or arora. Which leads me to believe that there's something broken in that site.

In fact, the w3m validators fails, so, before anything else, fix the code, then you can worry if it continue failing.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...Inline&group=0

Ps. This is one of the reasons why I don't like the Adobe suite, it always produces broken code.

Yes, the upper left of your screenshot is page one of the site, are you able to navagite thru it? Thanks for the mark up, I've changed the case, it's already in CSS, not sure what else to do.
 
Old 09-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #12
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,063

Rep: Reputation: 381Reputation: 381Reputation: 381Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppervon View Post
Yes, the upper left of your screenshot is page one of the site, are you able to navagite thru it?
Yes. I can't be sure that everything is correct because I am not familiar with the site, but I can navigate it without any problem.

Quote:
Thanks for the mark up, I've changed the case, it's already in CSS, not sure what else to do.
Well, the DTD for your web site is "XHTML 1.0 Transitional", however, the code is not valid "XHTML 1.0 Transitional". That means that, if any browser (in my case only seamonkey2) parses it correctly it will be by pure coincidence, and you are lucky for that. No other language is as relaxed as html is, in C your program would just refuse to work if you put a comma in the wrong place.

Yet again, Adobe products writing incorrect code. Nothing new.

It's very important to validate all your code using the w3c validators. That ensures that any browser complying with the standards will display it without any problem. Your main concert now should be that: there are seven different errors in the code, if you look at the validation link I gave you, you will see that and ALL OF THEM are around the line that embeds the flash thing. I think that we all can deduct what that means, where the problem is, buggy code.

I don't think there's a problem in the server (otherwise, I couldn't have posted the screenshot).

You should try to fix some of these errors, and I doubt that Adobe can help you here. You will have to get your hands dirty. Note that the errors of the validator provide you with a link to a relevant FAQ, you should really start there and see what's what you are doing wrong.

Last edited by i92guboj; 09-08-2009 at 09:01 PM.
 
Old 09-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #13
choppervon
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
Yes. I can't be sure that everything is correct because I am not familiar with the site, but I can navigate it without any problem.



Well, the DTD for your web site is "XHTML 1.0 Transitional", however, the code is not valid "XHTML 1.0 Transitional". That means that, if any browser (in my case only seamonkey2) parses it correctly it will be by pure coincidence, and you are lucky for that. No other language is as relaxed as html is, in C your program would just refuse to work if you put a comma in the wrong place.

Yet again, Adobe products writing incorrect code. Nothing new.

It's very important to validate all your code using the w3c validators. That ensures that any browser complying with the standards will display it without any problem. Your main concert now should be that: there are seven different errors in the code, if you look at the validation link I gave you, you will see that and ALL OF THEM are around the line that embeds the flash thing. I think that we all can deduct what that means, where the problem is, buggy code.

I don't think there's a problem in the server (otherwise, I couldn't have posted the screenshot).

You should try to fix some of these errors, and I doubt that Adobe can help you here. You will have to get your hands dirty. Note that the errors of the validator provide you with a link to a relevant FAQ, you should really start there and see what's what you are doing wrong.
Thanks, I'll get on it, coulda been worse.
 
Old 09-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #14
choppervon
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
Yes. I can't be sure that everything is correct because I am not familiar with the site, but I can navigate it without any problem.



Well, the DTD for your web site is "XHTML 1.0 Transitional", however, the code is not valid "XHTML 1.0 Transitional". That means that, if any browser (in my case only seamonkey2) parses it correctly it will be by pure coincidence, and you are lucky for that. No other language is as relaxed as html is, in C your program would just refuse to work if you put a comma in the wrong place.

Yet again, Adobe products writing incorrect code. Nothing new.

It's very important to validate all your code using the w3c validators. That ensures that any browser complying with the standards will display it without any problem. Your main concert now should be that: there are seven different errors in the code, if you look at the validation link I gave you, you will see that and ALL OF THEM are around the line that embeds the flash thing. I think that we all can deduct what that means, where the problem is, buggy code.

I don't think there's a problem in the server (otherwise, I couldn't have posted the screenshot).

You should try to fix some of these errors, and I doubt that Adobe can help you here. You will have to get your hands dirty. Note that the errors of the validator provide you with a link to a relevant FAQ, you should really start there and see what's what you are doing wrong.
Got the code cleaned up and validated, the site still won't open, might be easy for someone to see what I'm missing now, thanks in advance:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>DoghouseLords.com</title>
<style type="text/css">
<!--
body {
background-color: #000000;
}
#apDiv1 {
position:absolute;
left:102px;
top:0px;
width:213px;
height:223px;
z-index:1;
}
-->
</style>
<script src="file:///C|/Documents and Settings/chopper.CHOPPER1/Desktop/Doghouse Lords graphics/Website/Scripts/AC_RunActiveContent.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
</head>

<body>
<div id="apDiv1">
<script type="text/javascript">
AC_FL_RunContent( 'codebase','http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,28,0','width','770','height','650','src','file:///C|/Documents and Settings/chopper.CHOPPER1/Desktop/Doghouse Lords graphics/Website/doghouse_lords_website_1','quality','high','pluginspage','http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash','movie','file:///C|/Documents and Settings/chopper.CHOPPER1/Desktop/Doghouse Lords graphics/Website/doghouse_lords_website_1' ); //end AC code
</script><noscript><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
data="c.swf?path=movie.swf"
width="770" height="650">
<param name="movie"
value="doghouse_lords_website_1.swf" />

</object>

</noscript></div>
</body>
</html>
 
Old 09-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #15
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,063

Rep: Reputation: 381Reputation: 381Reputation: 381Reputation: 381
I just checked and the document is viewable using firefox, seamonkey and arora. I also see that it validates as xhtml 1.1 so congratulations. Is also working for you?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XP playing server for Linux CyberInfantry Linux - Networking 7 02-03-2007 04:02 AM
connectiing two/three site to a linux server shamz Linux - Networking 1 10-16-2005 08:09 AM
Problems with sound, when playing flash files. Flash plug-in installed. Mistreated Linux - Software 2 09-02-2004 03:13 PM
TV teasers on web site - playing WMV, RM, QT timelord726 Linux - Software 3 08-15-2004 01:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration