alright, that got me into my normal boot so I could fix initramfs and enable resume
I need to document this well because I couldn't find a clear fix and had to muddle through it for the last 2 hours.
So I resized /dev/sdb2 which was ext3 so I would have enough swap to do suspend to disk and in the proccess the UUID changed for my swap partition. At first this just caused a long pause during the boot up which I tried to fix by reinstalling kubuntu-desktop from adept (this causes initramfs to update) while this got rid of the pause I believe it lead to my start up breaking after I trying to suspend to disk.
Here is what I used to fix the UUID problem:
to find the new UUID of my resized swap I used: (where sdb1 is the swap partition)
sudo blkid /dev/sdb1
then I updated the UUID in the following files for sdb1:
I updated intramfs using:
sudo update-initramfs -u
after I rebooted my problem was fixed.
now I did some messing around that got myself into a bind which I was able to work out. Here are some things I found out can break your system pretty bad:
DO NOT: run update-initramfs after chrooting from a liveCD
It fusses a ton about not being able to create /dev/null because the /dev/ folder isn't the real devices folder after the chroot. I tried to rename the /dev folder and symbolic link from the real one, but I got a different error saying that it couldn't creat /dev/null because of too many symbolic links. I was able to repair the damage I had done and restore the backed up initramfs image in the /boot/ folder. Then after using surfer2k3's idea to disable resume in the menu.lst file I was able to get around the sticking point at my boot where it said: "waiting for resume disk..."
Once it booted normally I was able to run update-initramfs as shown above and remove the noresume line from menu.lst. This fixed the startup hang time and my broken hibernate.
Last edited by vertago1; 07-17-2008 at 08:51 PM.