Originally Posted by donnied
Which distro are you looking at using? Frequent and safe backup - rsync, bacula. Are you looking at Skole Linux? Edubuntu? k12linux? What sort of school setting are you looking at (high school, jr. high, combined)? (I'm a teacher who's very interested in promoting FOSS in Education; I'd be interested to know how this progresses.)
We're actually 2 public charter schools. 1 = K-8, 2 = 9-12. However we only go as far as 9th grade right now. The LTSP setup that I'm working on will depend on how the testing goes. It will either be Fedora 10 with LTSP or the latest Edubuntu.
1. I don't want to use the old ltsp so K12LTSP is out. (for the most part)
2. Never really used Skole, but I gues I'm open to it, although it's kind of a third place type deal.
3. I would like to test out K12Linux, but wanna make sure it's fully functional and has all the repos that Fedora has.
4. I want Fedora 10 with LTSP, it's supposed to be already built in, but Fedora has always some suprise up their sleeve (i feel). So it depends how much it doesn't make me pull my hair out.
That and it does have Kiosk and it's favored since I've used Fedora before.
5. Edubuntu 8.10 supposedly has it already built. I've found X-buntu usually has things pretty well setup, but I have no experience with it and I don't really like Gnome, even though most things work in it better.
I guess I'll see. I'll probably post my progress later on for this project once I get going on it. In the mean time I have to find more about how to setup the file server for the teachers.