LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
benjam1nrk
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Distribution: CentOS
Posts: 24

Rep: Reputation: 1
Question Sudo Password Incorrect


I have set up a new account, with a user name of Benjamin. I have added the following line using 'visudo': Benjamin ALL=(ALL) ALL, giving the new user name sudo ability.

However, when running a sudo command, while logged in with the user name 'Benjamin', I receive an incorrect password error. All works as expected when utilizing the line: Benjamin ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL, as no password is required.

Yes, I am entering the password for user name 'Benjamin' and not that of the root account.

What am I missing? Thank you!
 
Old 04-20-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
Carl Filby
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: Deep East Texas
Distribution: Debian,Ubuntu
Posts: 36

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjam1nrk View Post
I have set up a new account, with a user name of Benjamin. I have added the following line using 'visudo': Benjamin ALL=(ALL) ALL, giving the new user name sudo ability.

However, when running a sudo command, while logged in with the user name 'Benjamin', I receive an incorrect password error. All works as expected when utilizing the line: Benjamin ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL, as no password is required.

Yes, I am entering the password for user name 'Benjamin' and not that of the root account.

What am I missing? Thank you!
Don't mean to sound smug but you did set a password for that account correct?
 
Old 04-20-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
cola
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Location: Dhaka,Bangladesh
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 1,031

Rep: Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjam1nrk View Post
I have set up a new account, with a user name of Benjamin. I have added the following line using 'visudo': Benjamin ALL=(ALL) ALL, giving the new user name sudo ability.

However, when running a sudo command, while logged in with the user name 'Benjamin', I receive an incorrect password error. All works as expected when utilizing the line: Benjamin ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL, as no password is required.

Yes, I am entering the password for user name 'Benjamin' and not that of the root account.

What am I missing? Thank you!
Reset your password if you can't remember it.
Code:
sudo passwd Benjamin
 
Old 04-20-2010, 01:51 AM   #4
PMP
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: ~
Distribution: RHEL, Fedora
Posts: 381

Rep: Reputation: 58
I am a bit confused !!
You are specifying NOPASSWD:ALL, Why is this asking for a passwd?
AFAIK, NOPASSWD provides access without prompting for your password.
 
Old 04-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
benjam1nrk
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Distribution: CentOS
Posts: 24

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Filby View Post
Don't mean to sound smug but you did set a password for that account correct?
Yes, I set a password for the account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cola View Post
Reset your password if you can't remember it.
Code:
sudo passwd Benjamin
I already tried resetting the password for the account, still will not accept the new password.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMP View Post
I am a bit confused !!
You are specifying NOPASSWD:ALL, Why is this asking for a passwd?
AFAIK, NOPASSWD provides access without prompting for your password.
Exactly, I was making the point that the user has ability to SUDO when no password is required, but when a password is required the password itself is not accepted.
 
Old 04-21-2010, 12:50 AM   #6
Carl Filby
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: Deep East Texas
Distribution: Debian,Ubuntu
Posts: 36

Rep: Reputation: 15
Talking

A wise monkey once told that caps are bad for your hair. Create another account with all lowercases, mirror group memberships. Also if there is another account with same name only no caps set each password the same and try it again.
 
Old 04-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
benjam1nrk
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Distribution: CentOS
Posts: 24

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Filby View Post
A wise monkey once told that caps are bad for your hair. Create another account with all lowercases, mirror group memberships. Also if there is another account with same name only no caps set each password the same and try it again.
Was really hoping this was my problem, no luck.

Aside from simple user error on my part, are there any known software conflicts, shadow password conflicts, etc.. that may be causing my problems?
 
Old 04-22-2010, 01:48 AM   #8
Carl Filby
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: Deep East Texas
Distribution: Debian,Ubuntu
Posts: 36

Rep: Reputation: 15
Run "faillog --help" for proper syntax
GOAL: check the user account and see if account is password failure locked. If it is, reset counter for that account to "0".
 
Old 04-22-2010, 02:31 AM   #9
jschiwal
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2001
Location: Fargo, ND
Distribution: SuSE AMD64
Posts: 15,733

Rep: Reputation: 670Reputation: 670Reputation: 670Reputation: 670Reputation: 670Reputation: 670
After changing groups or editing sudoers, you may need to reboot for the changes to take effect.
IIRC, there is a command to reload groups but I don't remember it.
 
Old 04-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #10
AlucardZero
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: USA
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 4,808

Rep: Reputation: 604Reputation: 604Reputation: 604Reputation: 604Reputation: 604Reputation: 604
Quote:
After changing groups or editing sudoers, you may need to reboot for the changes to take effect.
No you don't. Worst he has to do is log out and back in to get the new groups. Also see "newgrp".

"targetpw" is not set in your sudoers file, is it?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
su: incorrect password psuresh Linux - Security 17 11-20-2009 03:27 AM
su: incorrect password MrHyde77 Linux - Software 5 01-06-2009 11:41 AM
su: incorrect password MarioT Red Hat 1 05-28-2007 08:17 AM
kdesu gives incorrect password error with correct password. dasy2k1 SUSE / openSUSE 1 04-16-2007 11:34 AM
Sudo authorizes me with incorrect password? jhermans Linux - Security 4 08-29-2004 10:15 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration