LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Strange phenomena with Blank Discs; device won't mount (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/strange-phenomena-with-blank-discs%3B-device-wont-mount-779525/)

lupusarcanus 01-03-2010 03:33 AM

Strange phenomena with Blank Discs; device won't mount
 
Hello LQ.

I am running Ubuntu Karmic and am using Brasero Disc Burner. I am attempting (shouldn't this be easy? It was before I re-installed.) to burn a Sabayon disc image to a DVD-RW that I blanked with Brasero.

When I put in a disc with content, there seems to be no problem; business as usual. But after I blank the DVD-RW, the device doesn't mount (I think) and doesn't show up in Brasero or nautilus or anywahere, for that matter.

I have attached 3 Screenshots detailing and depicting my problem.
The far left screenshot displays what happens when I try to do something with the said blank disc, the middle one displays what happens when a disc with content is inserted into the disc drive, and the far right shows the output of the commands "dmesg | tail," and "mount," with the left Terminal showing the output when a disc WITH content is inserted, and the right Terminal shows the output of those two when a BLANK disk is put in.

If you want me to post any additional information, or would rather me explain in text what those screenshots show, don't hesitate.

It appears I may need to (format?) the disc but how would I do that when It won't recognize the presence of one at all?!

This seems like a stupid, trivial question, but I can't figure it out!

Thank you all so very much, your good friend,

~leopard

lupusarcanus 01-03-2010 03:34 AM

Silly me, I forgot the pictures! :rolleyes:

onebuck 01-03-2010 07:19 AM

Hi,

When you blanked the media the filesystem is no longer on the disk. You will need to treat it as virgin media. You don't mount a blank media do you? :)

Quote:

excerpt from 'man mount';

NAME
mount, umount - mount and unmount filesystems

lupusarcanus 01-03-2010 07:20 AM

How would I do that if it isn't recognized to format in the first place?
Thanks for your help.

lupusarcanus 01-03-2010 07:42 AM

It's like the device doesn't exist. I have no options.

onebuck 01-03-2010 07:46 AM

Hi,

Depending on your Media application you should have the option to format or erase a CDRW/DVDRW media. For 'K3B' it is under tools.

You would select the option to perform and the application will prompt for the media. :)

lupusarcanus 01-03-2010 07:49 AM

Here's an interesting screenshot in Disk Utility. Like, WTF?
How is "No Media Detected" possible when Media is detected?!
Yeah I have an invisible friend, can't you see? (intended sarcasm)
Now I am confused.

Sorry for the triple-post, my apologies. Couldn't add an attachment in the last one.

lupusarcanus 01-03-2010 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onebuck (Post 3812413)
Hi,

Depending on your Media application you should have the option to format or erase a CDRW/DVDRW media. For 'K3B' it is under tools.

You would select the option to perform and the application will prompt for the media. :)

Brasero shows no such option. Only "Blank Disc" and others. No "Format."
I will try K3B real quick.

lupusarcanus 01-03-2010 08:24 AM

Well, I got it formatted. I feel pretty stupid for not being able to figure out that I needed a better disc burning program.

But now I suffer from essentially the same problem. I still can't actually write anything to the disc. See Screenshot

malekmustaq 01-03-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Well, I got it formatted. I feel pretty stupid for not being able to figure out that I needed a better disc burning program.
But now I suffer from essentially the same problem. I still can't actually write anything to the disc. See Screenshot

- Re-writable media? Under what format the dvd-rw was lately formatted? This could affect the readability of a dvd.

- RW media (dvd or cd) have limits at how many times they are re-written, check if you have not already expired its usability.

- Your last image posted tells that something is wrong with either the media or the file system it was formatted into.

Hope it helps.

Good luck.

lupusarcanus 01-03-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malekmustaq (Post 3812658)
- Re-writable media? Under what format the dvd-rw was lately formatted? This could affect the readability of a dvd.

- RW media (dvd or cd) have limits at how many times they are re-written, check if you have not already expired its usability.

- Your last image posted tells that something is wrong with either the media or the file system it was formatted into.

Hope it helps.

Good luck.

The last format of these DVDs was done under Nero for Windows XP.
Perhaps Nero is the culprit?

I have only used these DVDs twice (re-format and burn) so I don't know what to make of that.

I used K3B to format it so something is wrong with the media. It looks like it has some restricted barrier blocking me from what I want to do.

Is there a possibility of saving these discs?

smeezekitty 01-03-2010 01:25 PM

Try gently cleaning the disk with a damp soft rag.
BTW I see you are in the hands of the evil monster - i see google chrome in the bottom.

GrapefruiTgirl 01-03-2010 01:45 PM

Something's missing in this thread..

The only time you "format" a CD or DVD is when you plan on doing some UDF packet-writing to it, i.e. using it kinda like a floppy disk that you can read and write to.

The rest of the time, you don't actually "format" it; you (or your software) may BLANK the disk, before burning something to it (such as a ISO image of a Linux OS) but then you just go ahead and burn the ISO to it; there's no formatting involved prior to burning.

I use the command-line when burning or formatting discs, so I cannot speak to how well (or not) your burning application is working or how well (or not) it is detecting blank media, but whether it automatically detects a freshly inserted blank media or not, should hopefully not affect whether or not it will burn an image to said blank media.

Once you set up the burning program and click GO, it should ask you to insert a blank media, at which point it should hopefully proceed to burn something to it (or tell you the media is not blank, maybe).

Hope this helps a bit..

:) Sasha

lupusarcanus 01-03-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrapefruiTgirl (Post 3812766)
Something's missing in this thread..

The only time you "format" a CD or DVD is when you plan on doing some UDF packet-writing to it, i.e. using it kinda like a floppy disk that you can read and write to.

The rest of the time, you don't actually "format" it; you (or your software) may BLANK the disk, before burning something to it (such as a ISO image of a Linux OS) but then you just go ahead and burn the ISO to it; there's no formatting involved prior to burning.

I use the command-line when burning or formatting discs, so I cannot speak to how well (or not) your burning application is working or how well (or not) it is detecting blank media, but whether it automatically detects a freshly inserted blank media or not, should hopefully not affect whether or not it will burn an image to said blank media.

Once you set up the burning program and click GO, it should ask you to insert a blank media, at which point it should hopefully proceed to burn something to it (or tell you the media is not blank, maybe).

Hope this helps a bit..

:) Sasha

Thanks!

Brasero Disc Burner doesn't recognize the disc; and K3B gets an error when I try to burn something. The CLI seemed to get the job done, with one user error (see below).

Although I have never used the command line for burning CD/DVD's, I searched on Googe a bit and found a nice article on using the command line towards the bottom of the page.
I used this command:
Code:

andrew@mylinuxbox:~$ growisofs -Z /dev/sr0 -R -J /home/andrew/qBT_dir/Sabayon_Linux_5.1-r1_x86_K.iso
Anyways, I got it to burn with only one small problem. It burned the .iso to the disc! So when I put the disc in the disc has the .iso file shows up instead of whatever files should be there.

So how do I So I guess my question is how to make it burn the .iso image to the disc rather than just moving to the disc?

Thanks GrapefruiTgirl!

GrapefruiTgirl 01-03-2010 08:28 PM

From my little FAQ here at home, here are what I use at the CLI to burn CDs and DVDs:
Code:

BURNING an ISO image to CD:
(root)# cdrecord dev=/dev/hdd speed=4 padsize=63s -pad -dao -v -eject /absolute/path/to/image.iso

Code:

Burning a (bootable) DVD image .ISO to disc:

root# growisofs -speed=2 -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr0=imagefile.iso

Sasha


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 AM.