LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
skoda
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2013
Posts: 111

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Strang Yum error


Hai folks

#su root yum install vlc

/usr/bin/yum: line 2: import: command not found
/usr/bin/yum: line 3: try:: command not found
/usr/bin/yum: line 4: import: command not found
/usr/bin/yum: line 5: except: command not found
/usr/bin/yum: yum: line 23: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/usr/bin/yum: yum: line 23: `""" % (sys.exc_value, sys.version)'

what is the issue?
 
Old 06-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
potato_farmer
Member
 
Registered: May 2014
Posts: 55

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Seems to me you are already root, at least according to the shell prompt -> #

Try running:
Code:
yum install vlc
If you are not root and the shell prompt is a $ sign, then try...
Code:
sudo yum install vlc
or go to root..
Code:
su - root
and as root run:
Code:
yum install vlc
 
Old 06-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
skoda
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2013
Posts: 111

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by potato_farmer View Post
Seems to me you are already root, at least according to the shell prompt -> #

Try running:
Code:
yum install vlc
If you are not root and the shell prompt is a $ sign, then try...
Code:
sudo yum install vlc
Quote:
or go to root..
Code:
su - root
and as root run:
Code:
yum install vlc
works charm!!!

* but yum repos seems to have some issue.
Code:
yum install vlc
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: centosc6.centos.org
 * extras: centosc6.centos.org
 * updates: centosi3.centos.org
Setting up Install Process
No package vlc available.
Error: Nothing to do
 
Old 06-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 17,933

Rep: Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoda View Post
works charm!!!
* but yum repos seems to have some issue.
Code:
yum install vlc
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: centosc6.centos.org
 * extras: centosc6.centos.org
 * updates: centosi3.centos.org
Setting up Install Process
No package vlc available.
Error: Nothing to do
Kind of odd, since you asked not long ago how to REMOVE VLC:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...os-4175498089/

...after saying you had just installed it. If you installed it before, why can't you install it again? And a quick look at Google for "how to install vlc on centos" leads you to:
http://www.sysads.co.uk/2014/02/inst...entosrhel-6-5/

...step by step directions, with pictures.
 
Old 06-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
skoda
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2013
Posts: 111

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Kind of odd, since you asked not long ago how to REMOVE VLC:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...os-4175498089/

...after saying you had just installed it. If you installed it before, why can't you install it again? And a quick look at Google for "how to install vlc on centos" leads you to:
http://www.sysads.co.uk/2014/02/inst...entosrhel-6-5/

...step by step directions, with pictures.
Hai TB

this is another fresh centos 6.5 install
 
Old 06-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
skoda
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2013
Posts: 111

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Kind of odd, since you asked not long ago how to REMOVE VLC:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...os-4175498089/

...after saying you had just installed it. If you installed it before, why can't you install it again? And a quick look at Google for "how to install vlc on centos" leads you to:
http://www.sysads.co.uk/2014/02/inst...entosrhel-6-5/

...step by step directions, with pictures.
works charm!!! book marked that link for furture referrence too!!!
Thanks for your time
 
Old 06-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #7
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 17,933

Rep: Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoda View Post
Hai TB
this is another fresh centos 6.5 install
...and what's your point?? If you had previously installed VLC, then you obviously already know how to install it again. Do the same thing as before...not sure why you're confused, or what you're confused about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoda
works charm!!! book marked that link for furture referrence too!!!
Bookmark http://www.google.com instead
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
strang gtk-vnc behavior in -current zakame Slackware 2 04-29-2013 12:07 PM
[SOLVED] YUM Error - "CRITICAL:yum.cli:Config Error" vikas027 Linux - Server 4 05-03-2012 09:17 AM
CRITICAL:yum.cli Config Error yum.conf in RHEL 6.0 chunrima Linux - Software 2 12-09-2010 07:19 PM
Yum not working at all due to /usr/bin/yum syntax error aheusdens Linux - General 1 04-09-2010 05:15 PM
yum config error parsing file failed - yum won't run emuub Linux - Software 9 11-04-2008 06:48 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration