LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
tulicloure
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2012
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
SSH: Asks for password: Permission denied (keyboard-interactive,password).


Hello people, I was trying to make an ssh connection from my Ubuntu 11.10, but after asking a few times for my password, it gave me a "permission denied" message. This is what happened:

Code:
$ ssh (user)@(server)
Password:
Password:
Password:
loures.tc@login.dcc.ufmg.br's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
loures.tc@login.dcc.ufmg.br's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
loures.tc@login.dcc.ufmg.br's password:
Permission denied (keyboard-interactive,password).
Please, tell me if I should give some more information (new to the forums) and try to explain things the best you can (new to Linux).

Thanks, Túlio
 
Old 02-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
T3RM1NVT0R
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2010
Location: Internet
Distribution: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, SLES, CentOS
Posts: 1,790

Rep: Reputation: 324Reputation: 324Reputation: 324Reputation: 324
@ Reply

Hi tulicloure,

Welcome to LQ!!!

As I can understand from your Ubuntu machine you are trying to ssh another linux machine. Is that correct? If yes, are you using the correct user account. I mean is the user account you are using to ssh exists on the destination machine? Are you entering the correct password for that user?

Who manages the destination linux machine?
 
Old 02-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
tulicloure
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2012
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3RM1NVT0R View Post
Hi tulicloure,

Welcome to LQ!!!

As I can understand from your Ubuntu machine you are trying to ssh another linux machine. Is that correct? If yes, are you using the correct user account. I mean is the user account you are using to ssh exists on the destination machine? Are you entering the correct password for that user?

Who manages the destination linux machine?
Yes, I'm trying to ssh another linux machine and the user and password are both correct. The destination machine is from the my university.
 
Old 02-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
chrism01
Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Centos 6.5, Centos 5.10
Posts: 16,311

Rep: Reputation: 2040Reputation: 2040Reputation: 2040Reputation: 2040Reputation: 2040Reputation: 2040Reputation: 2040Reputation: 2040Reputation: 2040Reputation: 2040Reputation: 2040
Check with the admins there; there may be some restrictions on where/when you can login from. There are many options in the server's sshd_config file to restrict users by name/location/... etc etc
Other possibilities inc case-sensitivity, keybd mappings sending wrong 'value' etc.
 
Old 02-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
tulicloure
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2012
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism01 View Post
Check with the admins there; there may be some restrictions on where/when you can login from. There are many options in the server's sshd_config file to restrict users by name/location/... etc etc
Other possibilities inc case-sensitivity, keybd mappings sending wrong 'value' etc.
Thanks, I'll do that.
 
Old 02-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
T3RM1NVT0R
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2010
Location: Internet
Distribution: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, SLES, CentOS
Posts: 1,790

Rep: Reputation: 324Reputation: 324Reputation: 324Reputation: 324
@ Reply

Quote:
$ ssh (user)@(server)
Password:
Password:
Password:
loures.tc@login.dcc.ufmg.br's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
loures.tc@login.dcc.ufmg.br's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
loures.tc@login.dcc.ufmg.br's password:
Permission denied (keyboard-interactive,password).
Well I tried to duplicate the issue and was able to get the same response as you got. However, I am able to get in once I am putting the correct password. I would suggest you to check if you are authorized to ssh the machine with the person who manages this server. If yes, then get your password resetted from him and then give it a try.
 
Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
tulicloure
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2012
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3RM1NVT0R View Post
Well I tried to duplicate the issue and was able to get the same response as you got. However, I am able to get in once I am putting the correct password. I would suggest you to check if you are authorized to ssh the machine with the person who manages this server. If yes, then get your password resetted from him and then give it a try.
Yeah, it seems that i'll need to talk to the manager. Thanks for helping.
 
Old 02-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
tulicloure
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2012
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
For some reason, ssh worked fine today.
Thanks for the help.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ssh -- Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive). davidkline Linux - Networking 11 08-20-2014 03:19 PM
[SOLVED] SSH - Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive) sarves Linux - Newbie 3 05-12-2010 01:55 AM
Getting permission denied when reading in password for use with Net::SSH::Perl exceed1 Programming 0 01-30-2009 05:25 PM
Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive) cccc Linux - General 3 05-31-2007 06:32 PM
Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive). rockymaxsource Linux - Networking 3 04-27-2007 09:32 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration