LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2009, 02:27 AM   #1
rambca
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
Squid to configure with these, two isp through two router and each has pri & sec DNS


I am having one HP ML350 server with 4 nic's and Fedora Linux 9.0 with squid 3.0 stable 2.6. we got two internet leased line connectivity. Both they have given gateways and thier own dns. So there are 2 gateway IP's, and 4 DNS IP's. I want to configure the squid server can access the internet through both ISP's simultaneously. and also , if one get failed, all the traffic send to other ISP. Normally the traffic should be shared on both ISP's. How can i Configure?
 
Old 05-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
acid_kewpie
Moderator
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Location: UK
Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos
Posts: 43,345

Rep: Reputation: 1945Reputation: 1945Reputation: 1945Reputation: 1945Reputation: 1945Reputation: 1945Reputation: 1945Reputation: 1945Reputation: 1945Reputation: 1945Reputation: 1945
Please check lartc.org chapter 4. Note that this doesn't need to relate to squid at all, just base level IP routing.
 
Old 05-11-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
rambca
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
multiple isp connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_kewpie View Post
Please check lartc.org chapter 4. Note that this doesn't need to relate to squid at all, just base level IP routing.
where i have to configure DNS IP numbers. In dns tab, I can configure only one isp provider(pri & Alternative). there is no other option. In windoes each adopter has separate configuration. so we can configure each isp's gateway and dns.
 
Old 05-12-2009, 04:12 AM   #4
acid_kewpie
Moderator
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Location: UK
Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos
Posts: 43,345

Rep: Reputation: 1945Reputation: 1945Reputation: 1945Reputation: 1945Reputation: 1945Reputation: 1945Reputation: 1945Reputation: 1945Reputation: 1945Reputation: 1945Reputation: 1945
what "tab" would this be? DNS entries at system level just go in /etc/resolv.conf, as many as you want.
 
Old 05-13-2009, 03:24 AM   #5
rambca
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_kewpie View Post
what "tab" would this be? DNS entries at system level just go in /etc/resolv.conf, as many as you want.
These settings i have to configure in fedora core 9.0 and squid proxy 3.0with stable 2.6.

etho -LAN
IP - 192.168.1.125/255.255.255.0

eth1 -WAN 1
IP - 192.168.1.124/255.255.255.0
Gateway(router1) - 192.168.1.1
DNS1(isp1) - 218.248.240.180
DNS2(isp1) - 218.248.240.79

eth2 - WAN2
IP - 192.168.1.123/255.255.255.0
Gateway(router2) - 192.168.1.2
DNS1(isp2) - 203.124.20.100
DNS2(isp2) - 203.124.16.100

Wan1 and WAN2 are having 2MBPS dedicated(Leased Line) bandwith. Currently i confgured wan1 only through squid proxy. eth2 has been disabled. Otherwise it wont work (through gui mode i can configure only two dns ip only -primary and alternate dns server)and there is no problem and working fine. when wan1 is failed, I have to change the dns (isp1) to (isp2) and enable the eth2 and disable the eth1 and restart the network service. then it will work fine(through isp2).

Normally two types of problem will occure in the internet line.
1. Line failed or disconnected.
2. DNS server failed (assume both(Primary and alternative dns server) will get failed).

now my questions are,
1.How can i configure fail over ( wan1(isp1) fails the traffic are automatically sent through WAN2(isp2) without manual operation)

2.if both isp are active, the traffic should be shared on both isp.

In Microsft windows XP professional each interface having separate dns entry and gateway entry. In linux each interface having separate gateway entry but dns entry is comman for all interface(i am talking about gui mode interface configuration).

I have to control the browsing and restricting adult websites. so that i have choosed linux with squid proxy server. I didnt configure or enable dns service. if required i will do it.

waiting for your valuable suggestion.

Last edited by rambca; 05-13-2009 at 09:45 PM.
 
Old 09-02-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
mandlikvivek
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Use Ipcop firewall instead of fedora
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambca View Post
These settings i have to configure in fedora core 9.0 and squid proxy 3.0with stable 2.6.

etho -LAN
IP - 192.168.1.125/255.255.255.0

eth1 -WAN 1
IP - 192.168.1.124/255.255.255.0
Gateway(router1) - 192.168.1.1
DNS1(isp1) - 218.248.240.180
DNS2(isp1) - 218.248.240.79

eth2 - WAN2
IP - 192.168.1.123/255.255.255.0
Gateway(router2) - 192.168.1.2
DNS1(isp2) - 203.124.20.100
DNS2(isp2) - 203.124.16.100

Wan1 and WAN2 are having 2MBPS dedicated(Leased Line) bandwith. Currently i confgured wan1 only through squid proxy. eth2 has been disabled. Otherwise it wont work (through gui mode i can configure only two dns ip only -primary and alternate dns server)and there is no problem and working fine. when wan1 is failed, I have to change the dns (isp1) to (isp2) and enable the eth2 and disable the eth1 and restart the network service. then it will work fine(through isp2).

Normally two types of problem will occure in the internet line.
1. Line failed or disconnected.
2. DNS server failed (assume both(Primary and alternative dns server) will get failed).

now my questions are,
1.How can i configure fail over ( wan1(isp1) fails the traffic are automatically sent through WAN2(isp2) without manual operation)

2.if both isp are active, the traffic should be shared on both isp.

In Microsft windows XP professional each interface having separate dns entry and gateway entry. In linux each interface having separate gateway entry but dns entry is comman for all interface(i am talking about gui mode interface configuration).

I have to control the browsing and restricting adult websites. so that i have choosed linux with squid proxy server. I didnt configure or enable dns service. if required i will do it.

waiting for your valuable suggestion.
 
Old 09-04-2010, 03:55 AM   #7
sachin151080
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Posts: 12

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question two different ISP's DNS in one squid

hi,

i have two internet connection both have different dns
i want to configure both the isp's in squid like way if any
one of fail another will work without doing any mannual setting

i tried in linux putting both isp's dns at a time but squid not reconiging it, i have to put only one isp's dns at a time.
 
  


Reply

Tags
connection, internet, isp, squid, two


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to Configure Squid with two ISP Gateways farrukhndm Linux - Server 2 06-28-2008 11:51 PM
how to configure multi ISP in one squid for sharing bandwidth kmuralidharan Linux - Newbie 1 12-12-2007 09:24 AM
Dns & Isp jarod_123 Linux - Newbie 3 01-16-2006 03:24 PM
How do I open ports on my generic conexant PRI PAE CE84 router scarymary Linux - Newbie 1 04-29-2005 12:14 PM
Pri and Secondary DNS on One box matt_hannay Linux - Networking 3 03-03-2005 03:55 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration