LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
Gallifrey
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04 - Lucid Lynx, Fedora 13, OpenSUSE 11.2
Posts: 46

Rep: Reputation: 16
Specific Linux for USB Flash Drive


Hi all,
probably ground that has been covered before, but I have been experimenting with Distros to boot from a Flash drive, but can't seem to find one that fits my requirements.

So far, I have tried Puppy, Slax and Xubuntu. Xubuntu was probably the best from a functional point of view, for me, but it was very slow booting from the drive. Puppy was fast, but lacked what I am looking for.

Basically, I want a distro that I can install to my USB drive, with the ability to update the software and packages on it reguarly with good repositories. In addition, I need to be able to use it in pretty much anything you can stick a USB drive into.

Any recommendations?? Or am I being too fussy?
 
Old 03-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 11,013
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1364Reputation: 1364Reputation: 1364Reputation: 1364Reputation: 1364Reputation: 1364Reputation: 1364Reputation: 1364Reputation: 1364Reputation: 1364
Hi,

Your mixing things. Flash or USB drive? Which one?

BTW, look at the bottom of this thread for 'similar threads/posts'.

 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Gallifrey
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04 - Lucid Lynx, Fedora 13, OpenSUSE 11.2
Posts: 46

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
Hi,

Your mixing things. Flash or USB drive? Which one?

BTW, look at the bottom of this thread for 'similar threads/posts'.

A usb pen drive. Sandisk Cruzer Micro, 8GB. I thought they were commonly called Flash drives???

BTW, thanks for the links.
 
Old 03-25-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 11,013
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1364Reputation: 1364Reputation: 1364Reputation: 1364Reputation: 1364Reputation: 1364Reputation: 1364Reputation: 1364Reputation: 1364Reputation: 1364
Hi,

Quote:
Basically, I want a distro that I can install to my USB drive, with the ability to update the software and packages on it reguarly with good repositories. In addition, I need to be able to use it in pretty much anything you can stick a USB drive into.
You opened the thread with a 'Flash' then stated the above. USB Drive is a physical hard drive that is connected externally via the USB. If you are going to state a 'Flash Drive' then continue with that or 'Flash'.

Now to address a 'Flash Drive' or 'Pen Drive' (notice name pen or sub a stick), look at 'Live USB' to get a understanding plus additional links.

 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
cola
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Location: Dhaka,Bangladesh
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 1,019

Rep: Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallifrey View Post
Hi all,
probably ground that has been covered before, but I have been experimenting with Distros to boot from a Flash drive, but can't seem to find one that fits my requirements.

So far, I have tried Puppy, Slax and Xubuntu. Xubuntu was probably the best from a functional point of view, for me, but it was very slow booting from the drive. Puppy was fast, but lacked what I am looking for.

Basically, I want a distro that I can install to my USB drive, with the ability to update the software and packages on it reguarly with good repositories. In addition, I need to be able to use it in pretty much anything you can stick a USB drive into.

Any recommendations?? Or am I being too fussy?
You can have live ubuntu on pen drive using unetbootin.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
jefro
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,991

Rep: Reputation: 1355Reputation: 1355Reputation: 1355Reputation: 1355Reputation: 1355Reputation: 1355Reputation: 1355Reputation: 1355Reputation: 1355Reputation: 1355
Take a peek at pendrivelinux.com for how to's and distrowatch.com for package details and top rated distro's.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Way to make autofs mount to specific USB flash drive to specific folder? utahnix Linux - Software 2 11-24-2010 05:27 PM
Automaticly mounting a USB flash drive to a specific directory n0wiq Linux - General 2 09-17-2009 12:26 PM
Linux On Flash USB Drive eng_muhammad Linux - Distributions 7 10-03-2007 11:26 PM
How do I use my USB flash drive on Linux Drague Linux - Hardware 7 01-23-2006 10:27 PM
Using a USB flash drive with Linux membrax Linux - Hardware 76 11-03-2005 11:25 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration