I run Slackware with a realtek ALC887 audio card. I had my sound working perfectly just two days ago but some time either yesterday or today it stopped. I have no idea why and I've made sure it's not program specific. I checked the wires to make sure they're not loose or anything but nothing seems to be wrong hardware wise. I have been installing and removing packages a lot lately so that might have something to do with it.
Edit: I ran the configuration procedures here: http://linuxcritic.wordpress.com/200...-in-slackware/
and found that my card was recognized, configures and the master volume is fine but it still doesn't work.