LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
jstephens84
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: Nashville
Distribution: Manjaro, RHEL, CentOS
Posts: 2,098

Rep: Reputation: 102Reputation: 102
So you want to use Linux? Here is a little help.


I have recently been seeing so many of these threads popping up and they all have some things in common. But the biggest thing I see is that when asking they don't really let us know what they are looking for out of there system. Well I am hoping that this will help.

For starters here is a really great place to start. http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/in...lect_lang=true
This simple quiz really does give you a good base line. Please start there.
Also this will give you some help on choosing a laptop that will work really well with linux
http://www.linux-laptop.net/. I use this all the time before choosing a distro for
a friends laptop or even purchasing a laptop.

Now that you got your baseline lets go a step further. I want something that is really comparable to windows. Then I would say start with PcLinuxOS or Xandros or Linspire.
http://www.pclinuxos.com/
http://www.linspire.com/
http://www.xandros.com/

Well that is all fine but I really don't want something that looks too much like windows but I still want it to be pretty newbie friendly.
Then my friend here are some great distros.
http://www.ubuntu.com/ or any of its offspring like Xubuntu, Edubuntu and so on.
http://www.opensuse.org/en/
http://fedoraproject.org/
http://www.mandriva.com/

Hey what about me. I want to be a uber linux geek and know the ins and out of my system and don't forget about the server. Well here is some great choices for you.
http://www.debian.org/
http://www.slackware.com/
http://www.gentoo.org/
http://www.centos.org/
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org

"Hey no one will help me. Where can I find info in the mean time". Well first off that could be because you might have not given enough information or you just seem flat out lazy. But never fear friends, We have done some searching for you. (Google What a wonderfull but mysterious thing you are.)

Rute Linux Tutorial
http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

The Linux Documentation project
http://tldp.org/

Linux man pages on the web
http://www.linuxmanpages.com/

Printer Support and Driver information
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Op.../DatabaseIntro

Wireless cards with FREE Drivers (no ndiswrapper needed)
http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/net/wireless/cards.html

Linux Hardware Review Site (good place to check for support of a particular motherboard)
http://www.phoronix.com/

Linux Questions Search (Good place to see if someone has already asked)
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/search.php

http://www.yolinux.com/
http://www.linuxdocs.org/
http://www.linux.ie/newusers/beginners-linux-guide/
http://linux.about.com/od/embedded/l/blnewbie_toc.htm

So in short for all new people looking at linux the main point is that linux is about choices. You just need to try them for your selves. One section I even left out was the live distros which can really help to see if linux is even right for you.

Last edited by jstephens84; 11-26-2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: add links.
 
Old 11-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
mostlyharmless
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Distribution: Arch/Slackware/Knoppix
Posts: 1,774
Blog Entries: 14

Rep: Reputation: 272Reputation: 272Reputation: 272
Nice post, should maybe be a Sticky?
 
Old 11-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
drakeman007
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Panama
Distribution: Debian Lenny
Posts: 33

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens84 View Post
I have recently been seeing so many of these threads popping up and they all have some things in common. But the biggest thing I see is that when asking they don't really let us know what they are looking for out of there system. Well I am hoping that this will help.

For starters here is a really great place to start. http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/in...lect_lang=true
This simple quiz really does give you a good base line. Please start there.
Also this will give you some help on choosing a laptop that will work really well with linux
http://www.linux-laptop.net/. I use this all the time before choosing a distro for
a friends laptop or even purchasing a laptop.

Now that you got your baseline lets go a step further. I want something that is really comparable to windows. Then I would say start with PcLinuxOS or Xandros or Linspire.
http://www.pclinuxos.com/
http://www.linspire.com/
http://www.xandros.com/

Well that is all fine but I really don't want something that looks too much like windows but I still want it to be pretty newbie friendly.
Then my friend here are some great distros.
http://www.ubuntu.com/ or any of its offspring like Xubuntu, Edubuntu and so on.
http://www.opensuse.org/en/
http://fedoraproject.org/
http://www.mandriva.com/

Hey what about me. I want to be a uber linux geek and know the ins and out of my system and don't forget about the server. Well here is some great choices for you.
http://www.debian.org/
http://www.slackware.com/
http://www.gentoo.org/

So in short for all new people looking at linux the main point is that linux is about choices. You just need to try them for your selves. One section I even left out was the live distros which can really help to see if linux is even right for you.

You miss CentOS for servers.
 
Old 11-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
ErV
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: Russia
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 1,202
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens84 View Post
Hey what about me. I want to be a uber linux geek and know the ins and out of my system and don't forget about the server. Well here is some great choices for you.
http://www.debian.org/
http://www.slackware.com/
http://www.gentoo.org/
You forgot "linux from scratch". www.linuxfromscratch.org
 
Old 11-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
jstephens84
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: Nashville
Distribution: Manjaro, RHEL, CentOS
Posts: 2,098

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 102Reputation: 102
Thanks guys. I have added the other links into the write up. Keep links and feedback coming, if I missed anything else that could help new people out then let me know.
 
Old 11-26-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
tredegar
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: May 2003
Location: London, UK
Distribution: Debian "Jessie"
Posts: 6,085

Rep: Reputation: 398Reputation: 398Reputation: 398Reputation: 398
Quote:
if I missed anything else that could help new people out then let me know.
Before asking here, post error messages (suitably edited) to: http://www.google.com/linux

And then read the links
 
Old 11-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
farslayer
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Willoughby, Ohio
Distribution: linuxdebian
Posts: 7,232
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 190Reputation: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by tredegar View Post
And then read the links
Surely you are asking too much !!

WE are supposed to use our psychic abilities to find the proper links, distill down the information, and compile it into step-by-step instructions with illustrations and screenshots. at least that is how it feels sometimes...

I rather got a kick out of the link posted yesterday..
http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/





A couple links to add would be to Linux documentation and man page sites.

Rute Linux Tutorial
http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

The Linux Documentation project
http://tldp.org/

Linux man pages on the web
http://www.linuxmanpages.com/


Printer Support and Driver information
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Op.../DatabaseIntro


Wireless cards with FREE Drivers (no ndiswrapper needed)
http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/net/wireless/cards.html


Linux Hardware Review Site (good place to check for support of a particular motherboard)
http://www.phoronix.com/
 
Old 11-26-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
phantom_cyph
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: My HDD...
Distribution: WinXP for designing, Linux for life.
Posts: 2,329
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 47
Link the stickys in the other forums on here, that might help them out, bring everything into one thread. I.e. the "post your sources.list" in the Debian forum, etc.

Link to the "Linux is NOT Windows" page: http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
 
Old 11-26-2008, 03:50 PM   #9
farslayer
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Willoughby, Ohio
Distribution: linuxdebian
Posts: 7,232
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 190Reputation: 190
Might be a good updates to the LQWiki http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Main_Page I wonder how many people have looked at that page..

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Linux_Newbie_FAQ
looks somewhat familiar no?

Last edited by farslayer; 11-26-2008 at 03:51 PM.
 
Old 11-26-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
jstephens84
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: Nashville
Distribution: Manjaro, RHEL, CentOS
Posts: 2,098

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 102Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by farslayer View Post
Surely you are asking too much !!

WE are supposed to use our psychic abilities to find the proper links, distill down the information, and compile it into step-by-step instructions with illustrations and screenshots. at least that is how it feels sometimes...

I rather got a kick out of the link posted yesterday..
http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/





A couple links to add would be to Linux documentation and man page sites.

Rute Linux Tutorial
http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

The Linux Documentation project
http://tldp.org/

Linux man pages on the web
http://www.linuxmanpages.com/


Printer Support and Driver information
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Op.../DatabaseIntro


Wireless cards with FREE Drivers (no ndiswrapper needed)
http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/net/wireless/cards.html


Linux Hardware Review Site (good place to check for support of a particular motherboard)
http://www.phoronix.com/
Thanks farslayer. Post has been updated to include those new links.
 
Old 11-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #11
chrism01
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Centos 6.9, Centos 7.3
Posts: 17,356

Rep: Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367
Actually, the Linux SW equiv to MS here at LQ would be a good addition: http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/...ndows_software, but as always, persuading people to read first then post qns is the hardest part
 
Old 11-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #12
jay73
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing
Posts: 5,019

Rep: Reputation: 130Reputation: 130
And some more:

http://www.yolinux.com/
http://www.linuxdocs.org/
http://www.linux.ie/newusers/beginners-linux-guide/
http://linux.about.com/od/embedded/l/blnewbie_toc.htm
 
Old 11-26-2008, 06:50 PM   #13
jstephens84
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: Nashville
Distribution: Manjaro, RHEL, CentOS
Posts: 2,098

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 102Reputation: 102
Thanks jay73. Url's have been added.
 
Old 11-26-2008, 07:13 PM   #14
ErV
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: Russia
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 1,202
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 62
If you want to make "recommended newbie reading" article, then you should probably include these links:
http://www.google.com/support/bin/st...tml&ctx=basics
http://www.google.com/help/operators.html
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

While some people sometimes find "smart questions" a bit offensive, I think that reading google search help and "advanced operators" is necessary, because it saves a lot of time, and many people don't know about simple things, like searching for phrase with quotes.

It would be nice to include advanced search example like this one:
Code:
-inurl:htm -inurl:html intitle:"index of" +("/books"|"/book") +(txt|htm|chm|pdf|zip) +"linux"
Just to show what you can do.

Last edited by ErV; 11-26-2008 at 07:14 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration