LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Cantremember
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 0
Slackware single cd install 12.2


Hi. Haven't used Slackware since back in the day when it was released on just 1cd (what happened!!).

Slack 7 if I recall.
I'm getting back into it and downloading slack 12.2 cd1 now.

Can I get a slack machine up and running with just cd1 or do I need to download the others also?

Kind regards
 
Old 03-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
62chevy
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: West (By God) Virginia
Distribution: Debian Squeeze - Sid
Posts: 281

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantremember View Post
Hi. Haven't used Slackware since back in the day when it was released on just 1cd (what happened!!).

Slack 7 if I recall.
I'm getting back into it and downloading slack 12.2 cd1 now.

Can I get a slack machine up and running with just cd1 or do I need to download the others also?

Kind regards
If you want Kde and all get 1, 2 and 3. The first CD is not bootable from the down load. you will have to make it bootable.

Try this site for ideas on Slackware.

http://humanreadable.nfshost.com/main/index.htm

You can also mount the first CD and read the Slackbook.

Enjoy.
 
Old 03-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
Hendronicus
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Oldsmar, Fl. USA
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu
Posts: 175

Rep: Reputation: 38
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
If you want Kde and all get 1, 2 and 3. The first CD is not bootable from the down load. you will have to make it bootable.

Try this site for ideas on Slackware.

http://humanreadable.nfshost.com/main/index.htm

You can also mount the first CD and read the Slackbook.

Enjoy.
I'm pretty sure that Slackware cd1 IS bootable.
 
Old 03-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #4
Cantremember
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendronicus View Post
I'm pretty sure that Slackware cd1 IS bootable.
Im sure it is too, what I'm not sure is if I can do just a base install with only CD1. Dont mind using cli for a short while.
 
Old 03-14-2009, 06:19 AM   #5
Nylex
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: London, UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantremember View Post
Im sure it is too, what I'm not sure is if I can do just a base install with only CD1. Dont mind using cli for a short while.
You can. CD 1 contains the most important things, namely the a, ap and l series and kernels.
 
Old 03-14-2009, 06:46 AM   #6
Cantremember
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylex View Post
You can. CD 1 contains the most important things, namely the a, ap and l series and kernels.
Thank you.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Install of Linux and xp on a single,new 160 GB HD... DAVE666 Linux - Newbie 16 02-03-2008 03:54 PM
Slackware book in single-page format? halo14 Slackware 4 06-05-2005 05:52 PM
How to install two distributins on a single drive ? villie Linux - General 4 06-11-2004 08:37 AM
How to boot in single-user mode in Slackware 9.1 rsamurti Slackware - Installation 8 05-13-2004 05:03 PM
Can't install single SATA HD ON mandrake 9.2!!! CruelEssence Linux - General 1 03-05-2004 12:39 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration