LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2009, 04:17 AM   #16
Nylex
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: London, UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Still, what does iwconfig say? If it works, I wouldn't worry about the model.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:18 AM   #17
lupusarcanus
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,022
Blog Entries: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 146Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylex View Post
Still, what does iwconfig say? If it works, I wouldn't worry about the model.
It doesn't work. That is the problem :/
EDIT: Should I go back on Slackware and get that output for you? Will it help?
 
Old 12-23-2009, 04:19 AM   #18
Nylex
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: London, UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Ok, but can you post output from the two commands please?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:21 AM   #19
lupusarcanus
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,022
Blog Entries: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 146Reputation: 146
That's what I asked about. no problem; give me a second though I have to boot into Slackware ang mount - transfer again.
 
Old 12-23-2009, 04:21 AM   #20
Nylex
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: London, UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard View Post
That's what I asked about. no problem; give me a second though I have to boot into Slackware ang mount - transfer again.
Sorry, I didn't see it. Your edit must have come after I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard View Post
It doesn't work. That is the problem :/
EDIT: Should I go back on Slackware and get that output for you? Will it help?
Yes please.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:29 AM   #21
Nylex
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: London, UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
The XML error is a KDE bug: http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=163578#c18.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:35 AM   #22
lupusarcanus
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,022
Blog Entries: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 146Reputation: 146
iwconfig:
Code:
bash-3.1# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

wmaster0  no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:""  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated   
          Tx-Power=0 dBm   
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B   
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
ifconfig:
Code:
bash-3.1# ifconfig
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Two pictures of what my network settings look like when i try to configure them:

Last edited by lupusarcanus; 03-07-2010 at 03:20 AM.
 
Old 12-23-2009, 04:37 AM   #23
Nylex
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: London, UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
If you didn't see my post above, the fact that no network interfaces appear in the KDE thing is a KDE bug. You do have a wireless device, wlan0, that you should be able to configure. Can you run "iwlist wlan0 scan" and see if it picks up your wireless network? About your wired connection - I'm not sure why the adapter doesn't show up in lspci, but can you just run "ifconfig -a" and see if there's an eth0 device?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:40 AM   #24
lupusarcanus
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,022
Blog Entries: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 146Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylex View Post
If you didn't see my post above, the fact that no network interfaces appear in the KDE thing is a KDE bug. You do have a wireless device, wlan0, that you should be able to configure. Can you run "iwlist wlan0 scan" and see if it picks up your wireless network? About your wired connection - I'm not sure why the adapter doesn't show up in lspci, but can you just run "ifconfig -a" and see if there's an eth0 device?
Sorry for missing that post; I didn't see it. Apologies.
I'll boot back into Slackware. One minutes, guys, and Thank You Very Much.
 
Old 12-23-2009, 04:41 AM   #25
Nylex
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: London, UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I don't suppose you have another machine handy (from which you can use the Internet)?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:58 AM   #26
lupusarcanus
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,022
Blog Entries: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 146Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylex View Post
I don't suppose you have another machine handy (from which you can use the Internet)?
Boy, it would be very nice Unfortunately for me, I don't

iwlist wlan0 scan:


Code:
bash-3.1# iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0     Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down

bash-3.1# ifconfig wlan0 up
bash-3.1# iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0     Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: 00:23:69:FF:44:DD
                    ESSID:""
                    Mode:Master
                    Channel:6
                    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
                    Quality=100/100  Signal level:-30 dBm  Noise level=-86 dBm
                    Encryption key:on
                    IE: Unknown: 000D00000000000000000000000000
                    IE: Unknown: 010882848B962430486C
                    IE: Unknown: 030106
                    IE: Unknown: 050400010000
                    IE: Unknown: 2A0104
                    IE: Unknown: 2F0104
                    IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
                        Group Cipher : TKIP
                        Pairwise Ciphers (2) : CCMP TKIP
                        Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
                    IE: Unknown: 32040C121860
                    IE: Unknown: DD0E0050F204104A0001101044000102
                    IE: Unknown: DD090010180200F4000000
                    IE: WPA Version 1
                        Group Cipher : TKIP
                        Pairwise Ciphers (2) : CCMP TKIP
                        Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
                    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
                              24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
                              12 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s
                    Extra:tsf=0000022cc57a5183
                    Extra: Last beacon: 518ms ago
          Cell 02 - Address: 00:1A:70:7A:2D:7A
                    ESSID:"linksys"
                    Mode:Master
                    Channel:6
                    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
                    Quality=14/100  Signal level:-81 dBm  Noise level=-86 dBm
                    Encryption key:on
                    IE: Unknown: 00076C696E6B737973
                    IE: Unknown: 010882848B962430486C
                    IE: Unknown: 030106
                    IE: Unknown: 2A0104
                    IE: Unknown: 2F0104
                    IE: Unknown: 32040C121860
                    IE: Unknown: DD09001018020014000000
                    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
                              24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
                              12 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s
                    Extra:tsf=0000022cc751074d
                    Extra: Last beacon: 539ms ago
          Cell 03 - Address: 00:D0:9E:FA:56:E1
                    ESSID:"2WIRE936"
                    Mode:Master
                    Channel:11
                    Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
                    Quality=17/100  Signal level:-81 dBm  Noise level=-87 dBm
                    Encryption key:on
                    IE: Unknown: 00083257495245393336
                    IE: Unknown: 010582840B162C
                    IE: Unknown: 03010B
                    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 22 Mb/s
                    Extra:tsf=000000db0b5dc121
                    Extra: Last beacon: 90ms ago
ifconfig -a:
Code:
bash-3.1# ifconfig -a
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:25:56:12:1b:2e  
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

wmaster0  Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-25-56-12-1B-2E-6C-6F-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00  
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Looks like the Wireless is up. Very Nice.
How Do I connect to a hidden network with WPA2 encrption using the Command Line? I tried man ifconfig and man iwlist, but didn't see anything.


What is this?...
Quote:
wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet
Thanks, Nylex, you will see your Thanked Tally significantly increase
 
Old 12-23-2009, 05:05 AM   #27
Nylex
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: London, UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard View Post
What is this?...
It's just telling you that you have a wireless interface called wlan0.

Ok, now you want to connect to your WPA2 network. Do you have wpa_supplicant installed? You might also want to check if you have wicd installed. wicd will make things nice and easy for you. To check whether these are installed, just do, e.g.

ls /var/log/packages | grep wpa_suppicant

for wpa_supplicant and replace "wpa_supplicant" with "wicd" for wicd. For your information, /var/log/packages just has files containing the description of each installed package.

If you have both of those installed, good. Check that /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd is executable: ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd (I assume you know about permissions? If not, just ask). If it is, start the service with /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd and an icon should appear in the tray for wicd. You should then be able to use that to configure your network.

Also, you have created a regular user account for yourself, right (i.e. not the root account)?

Edit: unfortunately, I have no idea what to do about your Ethernet adapter . If you need it, yeah, you might want to use the Ubuntu live CD to check which driver it's using. Perhaps said driver is not part of the stock kernel, but I can't say for sure.

Last edited by Nylex; 12-23-2009 at 05:07 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:10 AM   #28
lupusarcanus
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,022
Blog Entries: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 146Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylex View Post
It's just telling you that you have a wireless interface called wlan0.

Ok, now you want to connect to your WPA2 network. Do you have wpa_supplicant installed? You might also want to check if you have wicd installed. wicd will make things nice and easy for you. To check whether these are installed, just do, e.g.

ls /var/log/packages | grep wpa_suppicant

for wpa_supplicant and replace "wpa_supplicant" with "wicd" for wicd. For your information, /var/log/packages just has files containing the description of each installed package.

If you have both of those installed, good. Check that /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd is executable: ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd (I assume you know about permissions? If not, just ask). If it is, start the service with /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd and an icon should appear in the tray for wicd. You should then be able to use that to configure your network.

Also, you have created a regular user account for yourself, right (i.e. not the root account)?
I did a default, recommended install from the DVD, so I don't know if I have this packages installed; I will check.

As for permissions; my only experience with those in the CLI is chmod -x "" (EDIT: I think those are permissions...anyway) when I was installing wine and winetricks from source. So I guess I'll ask.

I don't have a regular user account for myself, I did look that one up on Google when I was prepping for installing Slack, I think I have to do "adduser"?

Thanks

Last edited by lupusarcanus; 12-23-2009 at 05:12 AM.
 
Old 12-23-2009, 05:14 AM   #29
Nylex
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: London, UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard View Post
As for permissions; my only experience with those in the CLI is chmod -x "" (EDIT: I think those are permissions...anyway) when I was installing wine and winetricks from source. So I guess I'll ask.
Read this

Quote:
I don't have a regular user account for myself, I did look that one up on Google when I was prepping for installing Slack, I think I have to do "adduser"?
Yes. Make a regular user account to use for every day use and only use the root account when you need to (like performing system tasks). In case you don't know how to "become" root, you can use "su".

Edit: you probably have the package installed, but check just to make sure.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:15 AM   #30
lupusarcanus
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,022
Blog Entries: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 146Reputation: 146
If I remember correctly it used the atl1c driver.
EDIT: I just reread your post. i do have a live cd with me.

Sorry for the for the misreading. Apologies.

Last edited by lupusarcanus; 12-23-2009 at 05:16 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
File system errors when booting up galapogos Mandriva 5 03-06-2009 01:38 AM
Can i know the Linux os which can be installed on system with any errors ?? nomisvic Linux - Hardware 10 05-28-2008 10:45 AM
File System with errors nardz Linux - General 4 11-29-2007 06:57 AM
Installed Slackware 10.2 cannot get internet access davscott666 Linux - Networking 3 04-05-2006 11:59 AM
File system with errors naski666 Linux - Newbie 18 06-25-2003 07:30 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration