Greetings from South Africa.
I'm trying to get an old P1 to run Linux ... the other 5 boxes on my LAN are happily Windows, but I want to be free
Scanned the forum messages, but nothing quite matches.
How-to's and other doc is kinda sketchy too, so here goes ...
Stand-alone P1-120 with 64Mb RAM. Slackware 9.0
1. Could not boot CDRom until I used SBOOTMGR floppy disk. (My home-made Win98 boot disk is fine, BTW)
2. Turned off BIOS plug-n-play.
3. BARE.I boots from CD now.
4. Multiple partition attempts before finally 1st as swap, 2nd as linux (now on new 20Gb Seagate drive)
4. Now following SETUP steps ...
4.1 ADDSWAP seems okay
4.2 TARGET filesys troubles, Ext2 with or without sector check fails with segfault
4.3 Got past that by using "reigerfs" - not as fussy ?
4.4 Selected full source (defaults) and tried install.
. Got somewhere past lilo package before segfault again.
. Alt-F4 console had messages about SuZe etc, related ?
Suspect more shyte with hardware, but ... DASD or RAM ?
Disk too big for BIOS, 64Mb RAM too low, motherboard ??
I'm not quite sure what else to try fiddling with.
I'm loathe to give this machine back to Windows.
Anyone with any bright ideas ??
TIA ... Owl.