Slackware 12.1 problem: raw mode telnet client ( xterm )
So, here's my problem:
I'm actually messing with HTTP requests and all that stuff ( I'm coding some C program about it, that's why ) and, when something doesn't work, I use the telnet client to test my HTTP requests, server responses, etc.
Anyway, the problem is telnet won't let me edit my input should I make any mistake ( backspace is interpreted as '^H' rather than erasing characters ) and I know this can be changed since I used Kubuntu before switching to Slackware and, on the former, telnet actually behave 'as in cooked mode'.
So, I searched the web and the telnet(1) manpage where I found that I could create a .telnetrc file in my home directory in which to write commands ( such as 'mode line' command ). I am using the same /home partition as my former Kubuntu system and there are no .telnetrc file anywhere to be seen ( I even searched the whole Kubuntu / partition via 'find /media/disk -iname "*telnet*rc*"' ). Therefore, I created a simple .telnetrc file (based on the manpage) which looks like this:
Still, my problem is not fixed. Also, I recently found out another program I just forgot the name behaves exactly like telnet ( that is in a 'raw mode' like way ) making me think this issue might be system-wide rather than telnet specific.
Long story short, I would like to be able to edit my telnet input lines just like the xterm prompt actually behaves.
P.S.: If you don't understand something in this post, feel free to ask, I'll do my best to reformulate ( English is not my main language ).
Thank you for your attention.
I didnt read through your complete post, but of what I read you could simply try executing bash after you connect to the server.
An example of one of my telnet session would be:
$ telnet www.linuxquestions.org 80
Connected to www.linuxquestions.org
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /index.html HTTP/1.1<CR><LF>
[where <CR><LF> should be replaced by pressing the 'ENTER' key]
[Below is a snippet of what the server responded:]
HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 05:59:08 GMT
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Up, thank you
Just remembered I created this one thread quite some time ago from now.
In case someone runs into the same problem, here's a link that helped me fix my problem:
Having just reinstalled xterm on my system, it seems my previous reply was incorrect (I'm posting here for my own good).
The following site is more helpful:
In my case, adding the line "XTerm.*.backarrowKey: false" (without the quotes) to /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm did it. Read the aforementioned page for more infos.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.|