LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-22-2008, 02:58 AM   #1
shvnsen
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Location: india
Distribution: redhat
Posts: 47

Rep: Reputation: 15
Shutdown Problem


Hi,

Actually I am facing problem during the shut down phase.
when I give the command shutdown -f now

it gives the following output
INIT:Switching to runlevel:
INIT:Sending process the Term signal
INIT:Sending process the Kill signal
INIT: no more process left in this runlevel


I googled this problem and according to search result I modified menulist and added acpi=force apm =on and acpi=off apm=on and pci=noacpi

nothing happened

Then I modified modprobe.conf(modules) and added line apm power_off=1. nothing happened.

Then I modified /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc and added in X:-*Core TerminateServer=true in kdrmc.

Then also nothing Happened.
Kindly help me
 
Old 09-22-2008, 04:40 AM   #2
salasi
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Directly above centre of the earth, UK
Distribution: SuSE, plus some hopping
Posts: 4,061

Rep: Reputation: 893Reputation: 893Reputation: 893Reputation: 893Reputation: 893Reputation: 893Reputation: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by shvnsen View Post
Hi,

Actually I am facing problem during the shut down phase.
when I give the command shutdown -f now
...
Then also nothing Happened.
Is it correct to say that the problem part of this description is the 'nothing happened' part?

I note that you are using '-f'. 'man shutdown', on this box gives no sign of a '-f' switch (I think one of -r -h -H and -P are more likely to be what you want, but I'm guessing). Perhaps you want to say more about what distro you have and why you think that -f is what you want and what you wanted to happen (halt, re-boot, power off, send messsage without shutdown).
 
Old 09-22-2008, 04:55 AM   #3
shvnsen
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Location: india
Distribution: redhat
Posts: 47

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by salasi View Post
Is it correct to say that the problem part of this description is the 'nothing happened' part?

I note that you are using '-f'. 'man shutdown', on this box gives no sign of a '-f' switch (I think one of -r -h -H and -P are more likely to be what you want, but I'm guessing). Perhaps you want to say more about what distro you have and why you think that -f is what you want and what you wanted to happen (halt, re-boot, power off, send messsage without shutdown).

I want to shutdown the linux withour halting. it halts , I mean cursor goes on blinking until and unless i switched it off from cpu
Usage: shutdown [-akrhfnc] [-t secs] time [warning message]
-a: use /etc/shutdown.allow
-k: don't really shutdown, only warn.
-r: reboot after shutdown.
-h: halt after shutdown.
--------------> -f: do a 'fast' reboot (skip fsck).
-F: Force fsck on reboot.
-n: do not go through "init" but go down real fast.
-c: cancel a running shutdown.
-t secs: delay between warning and kill signal.
** the "time" argument is mandatory! (try "now") **


Kindly help me out.
 
Old 09-23-2008, 04:32 AM   #4
salasi
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Directly above centre of the earth, UK
Distribution: SuSE, plus some hopping
Posts: 4,061

Rep: Reputation: 893Reputation: 893Reputation: 893Reputation: 893Reputation: 893Reputation: 893Reputation: 893
You still will not say which distro you have; based on an observation of two boxes (SuSE and Ubuntu), Ubuntu does not have the -f switch and on SuSE it does not work, or at least not how you you would expect, although it may also depend on version.

On SuSE, with kde, giving the command in a konsole virtual terminal shuts down the GUI and lands you at the command line. This seems unlikely to be what you want (although you haven't said what you actually want).

The more conventional use of the shutdown command ('-h now', for example) on SuSE does actually shutdown the box, even when given from within the GUI, which seems more likely to be what you want; this behaviour is more likely to be consistent across distros.

Note that even if the -f switch did do what you want, whatever that is, it could be slightly dangerous. There is a reason for doing an fsck occasionally on, e.g., ext2 partitions, and consistent use of -f would get around that.
 
Old 09-23-2008, 04:52 AM   #5
shvnsen
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Location: india
Distribution: redhat
Posts: 47

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by salasi View Post
You still will not say which distro you have; based on an observation of two boxes (SuSE and Ubuntu), Ubuntu does not have the -f switch and on SuSE it does not work, or at least not how you you would expect, although it may also depend on version.

On SuSE, with kde, giving the command in a konsole virtual terminal shuts down the GUI and lands you at the command line. This seems unlikely to be what you want (although you haven't said what you actually want).

The more conventional use of the shutdown command ('-h now', for example) on SuSE does actually shutdown the box, even when given from within the GUI, which seems more likely to be what you want; this behaviour is more likely to be consistent across distros.

Note that even if the -f switch did do what you want, whatever that is, it could be slightly dangerous. There is a reason for doing an fsck occasionally on, e.g., ext2 partitions, and consistent use of -f would get around that.

I am sorry for that
I am using RedHat
now plz tell me and -f option is there in redhat and plz do reply asap.
Its very urgent.

Thanks a lot
 
Old 09-23-2008, 04:55 AM   #6
shvnsen
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Location: india
Distribution: redhat
Posts: 47

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shvnsen View Post
I am sorry for that
I am using RedHat
now plz tell me and -f option is there in redhat and plz do reply asap.
Its very urgent.

Thanks a lot
To be more precise
I installed redhat using USB bootable.
I am able to do everything its just that it does shutdown properly and hangs with commands I posted earlier. I hope my problem will be more clear now.
 
Old 09-23-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
ehawk
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,257

Rep: Reputation: 48
I think if you want to shutdown the system without halting (just power down), you use

shutdown -P

or

poweroff
 
Old 09-23-2008, 11:06 PM   #8
shvnsen
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Location: india
Distribution: redhat
Posts: 47

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehawk View Post
I think if you want to shutdown the system without halting (just power down), you use

shutdown -P

or

poweroff

Since I am using red hat as my distro so there is no option of -P the option that it provides are been displayed in my previous reply.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
shutdown problem ahmed gamal Slackware 7 02-02-2008 02:02 PM
Help...Shutdown problem backroger Red Hat 1 12-11-2004 09:53 PM
shutdown problem siku Slackware 4 10-29-2004 02:28 PM
Shutdown Problem Jmcatch742 Linux - General 2 08-16-2004 03:09 AM
Shutdown problem tsitras Debian 6 10-21-2003 08:31 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration