Setup a Linux network with 1 server, 4pcs wired & wireless, wireless router, & hub
This is my situation:
I am extremely new to Linux, but I really want to get away from Microsoft Windows so I am willing to do about anything to get onto Linux and off of Windows.
At my house I have the following:
1 - pc with 2 gigabit network cards (would like it to act as a server)
2 - other desktop pcs (would like them to act as clients)
2 - notebook pcs with both wired & wireless capability (would like them to act as clients)
1 - netgear wireless router (with a secured connection)
1 - 8 port switch or hub
1 - 6MB(DL) / 1MB(UL) broadband connection to the Internet coming into the house
- Internet connection sharing is being used (it is just not working the way that it should)
- All pc's have Windows XP installed as the only OS
Current setup is through Windows XP and I hate!!!!!!!
Current setup is like this:
- I have the Broadband source coming into my house and plugging into 1 of the Gigabit network cards on the server (supplying the internet to my LAN)
- I have a network cable connecting the 2nd network card on the server to the WAN port on the back of my wireless router
- I have a network cable connecting 1 of my desktop pc's to port 1 on the back of the router
- I have another network cable going from port 2 on the router to port 1 on the switch/hub
- I have another network cable connecting my other desktop pc to the switch/hub
- I have both wireless laptops connecting directly to the wireless router
This is what I would like...my goal:
- The server and all client pc's to form an actual Local Area Network (preferably with Static I.P. Addresses...not DHCP)
- My 1st pc to be setup as a server and do everything that a server does
- The server gives or denies access to other pcs
- The server track and monitor all websites that my kids are visiting
- The server to block access to certain websites that I don't want my kids going to
- All of my other pc's be setup as Linux clients (whether it be wired or wireless
- I would also like their to be file sharing across the LAN
- and there to be a print server and a network printer on the LAN
- and there also be an external HDD (kind of like a Network Attached Storage Device).
- And finally, I would like it so that when you are on any client pc and you visit a webpage...it actually goes to the webpage and allow the webpage to open correctly.***** I am not getting this on my current setup. Currently, When I am on any pc and I go to any webpage there is a problem...I get a "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". After I get this error I have to press the F5 Refresh key from approx 2 to 3 times and the webpage magically appears but it is not in the correct format...it looks jacked up (i.e. the fonts are wrong, the pictures, if they show up, are in the wrong place, etc). After I press the F5 key usually about 1 to 2 more times the website will come up and look absolutely perfect.****** Again let me say that this is currently happening on every website and it also affects me connecting to my ISP’s mail server…so it is hard to even check e-mail.
Please help me get away from Windows and get onto Linux.
What do I need to do to get started?
Which version of Linux should I use?