LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
ahoysailor
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Setting up additional serial ports on LynxOS


I'm completely new when it comes to this so bear with me!

I'm using a real time operating system, LynxOS, and I need to install extra serial ports. Com1 and Com2 already exist and work, but I'd like to get Com3, 4 and maybe even 5 and 6...

Problem being that I don't know how to do it, and I'm basically here to ask for any insight on the topic at all.

The hardware I have are both StarTech ISA2S550, 2 port 16550 UART rs232 serial cards.
So far I've entered address and IRQ information into sys/devices/ttyinfo.c, which I think was correct, but please let me know if I'm wrong/where to go from there!

Many thanks in advance
 
Old 08-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,205

Rep: Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoysailor View Post
I'm completely new when it comes to this so bear with me!
I'm using a real time operating system, LynxOS, and I need to install extra serial ports. Com1 and Com2 already exist and work, but I'd like to get Com3, 4 and maybe even 5 and 6...

Problem being that I don't know how to do it, and I'm basically here to ask for any insight on the topic at all.

The hardware I have are both StarTech ISA2S550, 2 port 16550 UART rs232 serial cards.
So far I've entered address and IRQ information into sys/devices/ttyinfo.c, which I think was correct, but please let me know if I'm wrong/where to go from there!
Many thanks in advance
Shouldn't have to go that route, from what I read. From Startech's website, they have a driver, and an installation document that addresses how to make it work with Linux. Have you checked that driver/document out??
http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapte...ISA2S550#dnlds

It's one .zip file, with Windows/Linux drivers/docs in it. And for what it's worth...if you have the option, I'd strongly suggest using USB to Serial devices. They're cheap, easy to install (can plug a bunch into a USB hub or two), and essentially set themselves up. You'll see /dev/ttyUSBx (0, 1, etc) just appear. They behave like serial ports.
 
Old 08-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
ahoysailor
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Shouldn't have to go that route, from what I read. From Startech's website, they have a driver, and an installation document that addresses how to make it work with Linux. Have you checked that driver/document out??
http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapte...ISA2S550#dnlds

It's one .zip file, with Windows/Linux drivers/docs in it. And for what it's worth...if you have the option, I'd strongly suggest using USB to Serial devices. They're cheap, easy to install (can plug a bunch into a USB hub or two), and essentially set themselves up. You'll see /dev/ttyUSBx (0, 1, etc) just appear. They behave like serial ports.
Hi,

Thanks, I had a look at the document you pointed out, but it's for Linux, not LynxOS, so the instructions there aren't too helpful.

Any other ideas/suggestions?
 
Old 08-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,205

Rep: Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoysailor View Post
Hi,
Thanks, I had a look at the document you pointed out, but it's for Linux, not LynxOS, so the instructions there aren't too helpful.
Have you tried the commands listed in the PDF document (setserial, modprobe, etc.)? Do you have the parport_pc module on your system, as is noted in the doc??
Quote:
Any other ideas/suggestions?
Yes...gave it to you in my first reply, which is to use a USB to serial device, which will give you more flexibility and easier installation.
 
Old 08-17-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
ahoysailor
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unfortunately, those commands aren't compatible with lynxos.
Sorry, I should have said in my last reply that I can't use USB as this is for a system at work and specs are for serial ports only.

Looks like I'll have to keep going down the trial and error route, but thanks for your help.
 
Old 08-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,205

Rep: Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoysailor View Post
Unfortunately, those commands aren't compatible with lynxos.
Sorry, I should have said in my last reply that I can't use USB as this is for a system at work and specs are for serial ports only.

Looks like I'll have to keep going down the trial and error route, but thanks for your help.
A USB to serial adapter looks and acts EXACTLY like a serial port. If you've got a USB port on your system now, that's all you need.
 
Old 08-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
jefro
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 11,105

Rep: Reputation: 1362Reputation: 1362Reputation: 1362Reputation: 1362Reputation: 1362Reputation: 1362Reputation: 1362Reputation: 1362Reputation: 1362Reputation: 1362
As I recall there are actually 2 comm ports in a normal comm port. They are supposed to be there and supposed to work but no one I have seen has ever tried to get it to work.

We have use breakout boxes for decades. The Digi seem to be pretty good. We have use isa to usb on qnx and windows but digi may have the code for that OS. Might email a few of the big adapter box companies and see if you could get code even.
 
  


Reply

Tags
compile, rtp, serial port


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ports aren't opened on additional interfaces earlfox Linux - General 3 07-26-2012 08:17 AM
Serial ports, USB-Serial adapters, and Linux Daravon Linux - Newbie 3 09-09-2010 06:53 AM
Fedora 5 Main os vmware 5 guest os winxp, Help setting up serial ports o lizard_king825 Linux - Hardware 1 08-06-2008 05:01 AM
adding additional serial ports Lorne Martin Linux - Hardware 0 02-23-2006 06:04 PM
why won't Apache accept and additional Listen ports? mikeghet Linux - Networking 22 11-08-2005 10:06 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration