LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Setting up additional serial ports on LynxOS (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/setting-up-additional-serial-ports-on-lynxos-4175421021/)

ahoysailor 08-08-2012 09:59 AM

Setting up additional serial ports on LynxOS
 
I'm completely new when it comes to this so bear with me!

I'm using a real time operating system, LynxOS, and I need to install extra serial ports. Com1 and Com2 already exist and work, but I'd like to get Com3, 4 and maybe even 5 and 6...

Problem being that I don't know how to do it, and I'm basically here to ask for any insight on the topic at all.

The hardware I have are both StarTech ISA2S550, 2 port 16550 UART rs232 serial cards.
So far I've entered address and IRQ information into sys/devices/ttyinfo.c, which I think was correct, but please let me know if I'm wrong/where to go from there!

Many thanks in advance :)

TB0ne 08-09-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahoysailor (Post 4749015)
I'm completely new when it comes to this so bear with me!
I'm using a real time operating system, LynxOS, and I need to install extra serial ports. Com1 and Com2 already exist and work, but I'd like to get Com3, 4 and maybe even 5 and 6...

Problem being that I don't know how to do it, and I'm basically here to ask for any insight on the topic at all.

The hardware I have are both StarTech ISA2S550, 2 port 16550 UART rs232 serial cards.
So far I've entered address and IRQ information into sys/devices/ttyinfo.c, which I think was correct, but please let me know if I'm wrong/where to go from there!
Many thanks in advance :)

Shouldn't have to go that route, from what I read. From Startech's website, they have a driver, and an installation document that addresses how to make it work with Linux. Have you checked that driver/document out??
http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapte...ISA2S550#dnlds

It's one .zip file, with Windows/Linux drivers/docs in it. And for what it's worth...if you have the option, I'd strongly suggest using USB to Serial devices. They're cheap, easy to install (can plug a bunch into a USB hub or two), and essentially set themselves up. You'll see /dev/ttyUSBx (0, 1, etc) just appear. They behave like serial ports.

ahoysailor 08-14-2012 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TB0ne (Post 4749944)
Shouldn't have to go that route, from what I read. From Startech's website, they have a driver, and an installation document that addresses how to make it work with Linux. Have you checked that driver/document out??
http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapte...ISA2S550#dnlds

It's one .zip file, with Windows/Linux drivers/docs in it. And for what it's worth...if you have the option, I'd strongly suggest using USB to Serial devices. They're cheap, easy to install (can plug a bunch into a USB hub or two), and essentially set themselves up. You'll see /dev/ttyUSBx (0, 1, etc) just appear. They behave like serial ports.

Hi,

Thanks, I had a look at the document you pointed out, but it's for Linux, not LynxOS, so the instructions there aren't too helpful.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

TB0ne 08-14-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahoysailor (Post 4753813)
Hi,
Thanks, I had a look at the document you pointed out, but it's for Linux, not LynxOS, so the instructions there aren't too helpful.

Have you tried the commands listed in the PDF document (setserial, modprobe, etc.)? Do you have the parport_pc module on your system, as is noted in the doc??
Quote:

Any other ideas/suggestions?
Yes...gave it to you in my first reply, which is to use a USB to serial device, which will give you more flexibility and easier installation.

ahoysailor 08-17-2012 05:00 AM

Unfortunately, those commands aren't compatible with lynxos.
Sorry, I should have said in my last reply that I can't use USB as this is for a system at work and specs are for serial ports only.

Looks like I'll have to keep going down the trial and error route, but thanks for your help.

TB0ne 08-17-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahoysailor (Post 4756518)
Unfortunately, those commands aren't compatible with lynxos.
Sorry, I should have said in my last reply that I can't use USB as this is for a system at work and specs are for serial ports only.

Looks like I'll have to keep going down the trial and error route, but thanks for your help.

A USB to serial adapter looks and acts EXACTLY like a serial port. If you've got a USB port on your system now, that's all you need.

jefro 08-17-2012 03:44 PM

As I recall there are actually 2 comm ports in a normal comm port. They are supposed to be there and supposed to work but no one I have seen has ever tried to get it to work.

We have use breakout boxes for decades. The Digi seem to be pretty good. We have use isa to usb on qnx and windows but digi may have the code for that OS. Might email a few of the big adapter box companies and see if you could get code even.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.