Thanks! Checking back in to say it worked!
Well, the real story is that it worked eventually. Like the newbie that I am, I accidentally was exploring yast and apparently blew away my symbolic links to my cd and dvd drives
before finding the DMA setting. Of course, nothing worked when I tried to run xine, and I got many mysterious errors as my dvd failed to work in xine (could not find dev/dvd, driver errors, stuff like that).
I thought I'd killed my machine.
Well, many hours of googling and konsole experimenting later, I got my symbolic links established again (yikes, don't want to go thru that ever again)
Finally, I carefully
paid attention while I was in Yast, set the DMA to on, and everything works perfectly now.
Sheesh. Takes me back to the days of config.sys and autoexec.bat tweaking. Linux is a lot like my fiance, wonderful and amazing, but just don't screw up or you'll have many late nights alone