Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
1. I'm an administrator at a small company that is currently developing a network-based application. The programmers have come to me and asked to setup syslogd so that it will monitor the application. Note - I have set aside local6 as the facility.
a) What file will I modify to get syslogd to pay attention to the applications log requests?
b) The developers want the following to occur
debug messages go to:
· notice, info, warning messages go to /local/project23/log/message.log
· crit and alert messages go to /local/project23/log/crit.log and to the screen of bobl, nancy, and Kenya if they are logged in.
Please HELP me provide these entries below:
c) Once I configured syslogd, what do I do to have the daemon read its config file?
d) The developers want me to automate the backup and compression of the logs found in /local/project23/log/ to /local/project23/archive. So I have decided to write a shell script and use cron. Here are the requirements:
· Every Saturday morning at 1:00am the script should be run
· Archive all log files in /local/project23/log/
· Compress the archive
· Move the archive to /local/project23/archive
· zero out the current log files
· send successful or failure to yourself