LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2013, 01:40 AM   #16
Soapm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2012
Posts: 180

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled

It's not so much as the difficulty since the community here has brought me a long way down this trail. My concern is having a system that only I could understand and administer which would put too much a load on me and would leave them in a pickle if something happens to me. Looking at WordPress I think my best option is a change of address form that will email to the Church Secretary and she can update the database. As you stated, I can put a static list of addresses etc... but I can take advice and won't be connecting the database to the internet.

This creates a new dilemma... We're leaning toward quickbooks for the financial part but our financial secretary prefers working from home. How do we move the data from her house to the Church if we don't use the internet? That's why I wanted to setup VPN but it seems all the wind is blowing around my sail...

What we can do for now is get a better website cooking then piece together the rest down the road.
 
Old 10-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #17
zeebra
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Mageia 3, Debian Wheezy, Maemo, Linux Mint 14.
Posts: 200

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
It's not so much as the difficulty since the community here has brought me a long way down this trail. My concern is having a system that only I could understand and administer which would put too much a load on me and would leave them in a pickle if something happens to me. Looking at WordPress I think my best option is a change of address form that will email to the Church Secretary and she can update the database. As you stated, I can put a static list of addresses etc... but I can take advice and won't be connecting the database to the internet.

This creates a new dilemma... We're leaning toward quickbooks for the financial part but our financial secretary prefers working from home. How do we move the data from her house to the Church if we don't use the internet? That's why I wanted to setup VPN but it seems all the wind is blowing around my sail...

What we can do for now is get a better website cooking then piece together the rest down the road.
There are several financial software packages for GNU/Linux as well. Personally I really like Kmymoney. It's free and does what you need. Should work fine for the church as well, unless you have some super special needs. There are other free alternatives as well. GNUcash and Scrooge for example.

What you mention above still works in a scenario with a secure desktop and a church server. The most difficult bit is to set it up correctly, but once that is done, it should be quite easy to manage. It wouldn't be difficult for you, if you have a person of trust to give them equal of less access than you have.

Moving data from the house to the church would be easy. Kmymoney has an encryption module inbuilt. Any files can be encrypted in GNU/Linux quite easily if you want. Then she can put it on the church server. You can then find it on the church server and move it to the secure desktop with the USB memory.
 
Old 10-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #18
mostlyharmless
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Distribution: Arch/Slackware/Knoppix
Posts: 1,761
Blog Entries: 14

Rep: Reputation: 267Reputation: 267Reputation: 267
Only one other thing I'd add, non software related, but sort of on topic. Giving by credit card or PayPal also costs money, over 2% for PayPal, varys by credit card. "Electronic check" ie transfer with routing number and acct number is usually charge free. It's nice to give people the option, I guess, but I'd make sure everybody giving is aware. Just my 2€, you probably know all this already.
 
Old 10-17-2013, 01:29 AM   #19
Soapm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2012
Posts: 180

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlyharmless View Post
Only one other thing I'd add, non software related, but sort of on topic. Giving by credit card or PayPal also costs money, over 2% for PayPal, varys by credit card. "Electronic check" ie transfer with routing number and acct number is usually charge free. It's nice to give people the option, I guess, but I'd make sure everybody giving is aware. Just my 2, you probably know all this already.
No, hadn't got that far so thanks for the info. My logic was since I never carry cash it often hinders me from putting something in the plate. I thought taking cards would boost giving since who wants to give $1 or $2 with a card. There are also studies done that confirm this. It also helps when members have it automatically taken out of their checks but that a whole nother thing... thanks for the 411...
 
Old 10-17-2013, 01:32 AM   #20
Soapm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2012
Posts: 180

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebra View Post
There are several financial software packages for GNU/Linux as well. Personally I really like Kmymoney. It's free and does what you need. Should work fine for the church as well, unless you have some super special needs. There are other free alternatives as well. GNUcash and Scrooge for example.


Moving data from the house to the church would be easy. Kmymoney has an encryption module inbuilt. Any files can be encrypted in GNU/Linux quite easily if you want. Then she can put it on the church server. You can then find it on the church server and move it to the secure desktop with the USB memory.
Thanks, I will look at these programs. By put it on the church server, it can't happen automatically? This is why I was hoping we could VPN in and use a common database on the server. So it would be auto up to date. Our financial clerk is in her late 70's and not all the computer savvy so what I set up for her has to work fairly step by step.
 
Old 10-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #21
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: ...uncanny valley... infinity\1975; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US, Earth, end border$! ◣◢┌∩┐ Fe26-E,e...
Distribution: any GPL that works well on my cheapest, has been KDE or CLI but open... http://goo.gl/NqgqJx &c ;-)
Posts: 3,101
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840
Bsd jk

Last edited by jamison20000e; 10-17-2013 at 09:18 PM.
 
Old 10-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #22
zeebra
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Mageia 3, Debian Wheezy, Maemo, Linux Mint 14.
Posts: 200

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlyharmless View Post
Only one other thing I'd add, non software related, but sort of on topic. Giving by credit card or PayPal also costs money, over 2% for PayPal, varys by credit card. "Electronic check" ie transfer with routing number and acct number is usually charge free. It's nice to give people the option, I guess, but I'd make sure everybody giving is aware. Just my 2, you probably know all this already.
Paypal is THE most expensive way.. I don't get why people use it really. It must be ease of use and convenience I suppose.
 
Old 10-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #23
zeebra
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Mageia 3, Debian Wheezy, Maemo, Linux Mint 14.
Posts: 200

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Thanks, I will look at these programs. By put it on the church server, it can't happen automatically? This is why I was hoping we could VPN in and use a common database on the server. So it would be auto up to date. Our financial clerk is in her late 70's and not all the computer savvy so what I set up for her has to work fairly step by step.
Kmymoney is quite easy. I find it very easy, which is the whole reason I can do my accounting alone in the first place. Without it I would probably not do accounting and budgeting.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
setting up a Linux Server for a Church and School hewittrj Linux - Server 10 03-07-2011 11:06 AM
setting up wifi w/ repeaters for church crypted General 14 01-19-2011 02:51 PM
setting up a church server & Software dgoddard Linux - Software 3 06-14-2010 04:28 AM
Help needed convincing church to use linux ksbf Linux - General 16 01-18-2006 06:34 PM
I'm volunteering to set up a server for my church. Some questions... Mateo1041 Linux - Newbie 38 12-08-2005 02:38 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration