Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I decided to create a new post with this question since the old question is buried on the second page of another thread. Rather than explaining my whole situation so far, I will jump straight to the point.
I am currently using Internet Explorer in Windows (until I can get Linux set up to successfully get online... at this point it will connect to my ISP but not send or receive any data after it is connected). In Explorer, if I go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> Settings... -> Properties -> Networking -> TCP/IP Settings I get the screen where my nameserver IPs are set up. There is a radio button marked "Server assigned IP addresses" which is selected, and I never had to type in any specific IPs for my ISPs nameserver. On pppsetup in Linux, there is a screen that asks for this specific IP. I am wondering if there is any way to let the server dynamically assign this IP, as it is doing under Internet Explorer. I'm not 100% sure that this is the cause of my problem but, either way, it is something that needs to be fixed. I appreciate your help.
Yes, it si possible. What you need to do is edit /etc/ppp/options and add 'usepeerdns' somewhere (as a separate line). Here's a full description of what does usepeerdns do (from 'man ppp'):
Ask the peer for up to 2 DNS server addresses. The
addresses supplied by the peer (if any) are passed
to the /etc/ppp/ip-up script in the environment
variables DNS1 and DNS2. In addition, pppd will
create an /etc/ppp/resolv.conf file containing one
or two nameserver lines with the address(es) sup_
plied by the peer.
I just typed up a reply and tried to submit it but I guess it didn't go through. Let's try again...
I tried adding that line to my /etc/ppp/options file but once again, I dialed up and went into Mozilla and it sat there for about 30 seconds and then gave me an error message. I thought maybe it was the old entry that was causing the problem so I deleted the nameserver line from my /etc/resolve.conf. This time, when I went into Mozilla, it gave me an error immediately that it could not find the page. Either way, no matter what I do with those files, it lets me dial up and connect successfully to my ISP, but after that I can't send or receive any data as far as I can tell. Mozilla won't let me browse pages and gaim won't connect. What is going on here? Any ideas are appreciated.
See if you can use nslookup to resolve a name from a server you know works.
Note: nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead. Run nslookup with
the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
> server 184.108.40.206
Default server: 220.127.116.11
Thank you for your prompt response. I did exactly what you did and got the exact same output. What next?
Now do I need to put that nameserver line back in my resolve.conf file or does it not need to be there with the usepeerdns line in my options file. Now as both root and my normal user Mozilla immediately gives you the error that it could not find www.google.com as soon as it opens and gaim tells you it could not log on as soon as the program starts. Its like it sees that the nameserver isn't there and doesn't bother trying. Let me know what to try next.
same issue in 9.1 as well, and in Vector Linux 4(slack derived)
I had the same issue. It didn't happen under 8.1 but when I went to 9.0 and then 9.1 I couldn't get dynamic DNS working. I read in like a Debian devel mailing list something about kppp not using ip-up or /etc/resolv.conf to set up it's dynamic dns and that's why kppp works. For some reason ip-up doesn't set the dns in /etc/resolv.conf. At any rate, I figured a work around.
Like Mara said, you have to add usepeerdns to your /etc/ppp/options file. I added it to /etc/ppp/options.demand as well. I put it in right after ipdefault for both(don't think it matters, just giving you all details in case it doesn't work for you).
type ppp-go as root
This will get 2 DNS entries from the ISP and store them in /etc/ppp/resolv.conf - this is just setting up the file
then cd /etc
ln -s /etc/ppp/resolve.conf