Good people I need assistance rather urgently with a mail issue on one of our sites. Basically what I gather is that they have been sending out database backup logs/reports to an external mail address but using google's smtp to relay the messages. This setup has been working all along till their new network admins decided to block that relay and now want to use their local exchange server to relay all the messages.
Looking at some of the /var/log/maillog entries i can see that
lost connection with alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[126.96.36.199] while performing the HELO handshake
and somewhere along that string i have
meaning its clearly using gmail to relay, question is how or where do i change this relay string or rather whats the quickest way of resolving this. I'm fairly new to the linux admin world and just need a quick fix on this one.
for troubleshooting purposes, I ran "cat somefile.txt | mail -s "Subject" email@example.com
" which generated:
Aug 18 16:13:56 server_name postfix/smtp: E9978F30140: to=<firstname.lastname@example.org>, relay=alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[188.8.131.52]:25, delay=1930, delays=1930/0.01/0.17/0, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (lost connection with alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[184.108.40.206] while performing the HELO handshake)