Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I have a script that runs using slackware/tcl8.5/tk8.5. It creates a GUI where selections can be entered to perform certain actions. After making a selection and upon executing it I receive back on the command line the following message.
"access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
/<directory name>/<executable file>: line 4: 3111 Segmentation fault
access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect"
In repeating the process the only thing that changes is the segmentation fault number but appears to only change the last three numbers:3xxx.
This script does work; it works on other host machines. The script was copied from another host to this one but still will not execute properly.
The number (3xxx) is the process number of the process that is causing the segmentation fault. It changes each time you run the main program because the main program is spawning a new process each time it's run.
Without more details it's not possible to offer any specific help, but I'd suspect that a program that the script is starting was compiled on a different system and copied to the "new" one. If that program uses direct kernel links, it probably needs to be recompiled for the kernel being used on the "new" system.
I really do not want to give up that easy!! I do not know what specific details I can provide but what I do know is that
the person I work with (not here) created a tar file from a operating one and I believe he scp it over to this machine.
This script does work, it just does not work on my machine.
I know my machine works, so far as I can use the command line to obtain the requested results that would be obtained if
I was using the GUI.
You need to debug the script in steps. Find what works, how far it works, try to zero in on the point which causes the segmentation fault. Segmentation faults are an illegal memory access. Edit this script to add debug to find out how far you attain in the script, comment out lines to limit the parts of it which run, stuff like that. Every script basically runs from start to finish. The file or files which define the script may not look like that. For instance a bash script can have functions at the top of it, and near the bottom the actual script main is, and it's not called main, merely that you see one or more functions and after those, you next see script executable lines, which defines the main body of the script. So figure out how this script is architect, start following the flow of it, and diagnosing what works, what doesn't, and where it runs into the segmentation fault. You may find that the fault is merely because part of the script is looking for another file which wasn't copied over, but likely you'll find a program or script line which is causing this problem.
Ok, I understand what you are saying but my knowlege base is very limited but I am learning!!
I have found something that produced a fault indication when I ran an associated executable script as follows:
No protocol specified
When I ran the same executable on a known good host it worked just fine!! The GUI came up and I was able to make a
entry in a field and it worked fine.
I did a copy of the good executable to a executable test file, scp this over to my machine and ran it which produced the above faults.
The orignal script on my machine also showed the same results. So there is a problem at least at this point.
What do these faults indicate and where do I go from here?
Sounds like you're running a tcl script. If so, for instance if the script has a .tcl extension at the end of it the way I'd diagnose would be to see if Tcl were installed and able to run the most simple test script. If Tcl were not properly installed, I'd install it, or re-install it. Check the version of Tcl on the systems where it works and compare it against what you have now.
The next step would be to try and run the specific script you've copied. There may be support files which are required, which are either unique to the version and hence why you're having problems, or unique to that script and as a result you haven't copied all you're required to copy. Unfortunately it may be a very advanced script, or it may be a one file script. That's what you have to debug.
A good first step is to just run a basic hello world and see that it works properly.