LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
dimitrio
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2012
Location: UK
Distribution: RHEL - newbie
Posts: 18

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
rhel6 users/groups gui not available


Hi

I'm running an evaluation version of RHEL6.
created a few users and groups using shell but cant get the gui application working.

I have gnome desktop environment installed.
startx runs but in the applications > sys tools menu I have no users app
nor in system menu.
system-config-users is not recognised as a command.

Do I need to install something else before this works?
 
Old 06-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Kustom42
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Distribution: Red Hat
Posts: 1,604

Rep: Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414
Code:
yum install system-config-users
Alot of the additional functionality like this requires additional packages to be installed.
 
Old 06-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 17,926

Rep: Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrio View Post
Hi

I'm running an evaluation version of RHEL6. created a few users and groups using shell but cant get the gui application working.

I have gnome desktop environment installed. startx runs but in the applications > sys tools menu I have no users app nor in system menu. system-config-users is not recognised as a command.

Do I need to install something else before this works?
Since you're in your 30 day evaluation period, you can call RedHat support for help. If you're not planning on paying for RHEL, then before you go too far, remove it and load CentOS instead. Without a paid-for subscription, your server WILL NOT get bugfixes/patches/security updates/kernel patches, and you'll wind up with an unstable system that you can't patch or load new software to, without a good deal of work. Also, the yum package manager won't work, since you won't have access to the Red Hat Network.

Kustom42 gave the right answer..but it will only work during the brief eval period, or if you're paid up.
 
Old 07-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
sag47
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Distribution: Kubuntu x64, Raspbian, CentOS
Posts: 1,831
Blog Entries: 36

Rep: Reputation: 451Reputation: 451Reputation: 451Reputation: 451Reputation: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Since you're in your 30 day evaluation period, you can call RedHat support for help. If you're not planning on paying for RHEL, then before you go too far, remove it and load CentOS instead. Without a paid-for subscription, your server WILL NOT get bugfixes/patches/security updates/kernel patches, and you'll wind up with an unstable system that you can't patch or load new software to, without a good deal of work. Also, the yum package manager won't work, since you won't have access to the Red Hat Network.

Kustom42 gave the right answer..but it will only work during the brief eval period, or if you're paid up.
They don't have to stop right away. There are guides to converting RHEL to CentOS. I've done it before and I know other people who've had good experiences doing it.
 
Old 07-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 17,926

Rep: Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690
Quote:
Originally Posted by sag47 View Post
They don't have to stop right away. There are guides to converting RHEL to CentOS. I've done it before and I know other people who've had good experiences doing it.
Quite true, but unless you pay for RHEL or convert to CentOS, you're going to be out of luck with running yum commands, or pulling things from the online repositories.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RHEL6, Libraries, and Package Groups tep0583 Red Hat 1 06-11-2012 12:00 PM
Rhel6 gui harshaabba Linux - Server 5 12-16-2010 09:32 AM
Is CLI and GUI the only tools that can be used to add users and groups within Linux? sharee Linux - Newbie 7 05-01-2010 08:17 PM
System Groups from Users and Groups measekite Linux - General 3 05-05-2009 10:22 PM
GUI accesss to Users and groups DirtySanchez Linux - General 5 08-26-2005 01:59 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration