LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2016, 06:25 AM   #1
sannat
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2015
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
RHEL-7 Crontab Issue


Dear forum,

I have been facing an issue with crontab in RHEL-7. I tried to install nagios XI in RHEL-7 environment. During installation it was failed due to some crontab issue(which says "path too long".).
I have no idea about this. I just typed crontab in session, it prints "PATH TOO LONG".

If anyone came across such issue or knows how to resolve, Please help me.

Thanks,
Sangeetha.
 
Old 01-22-2016, 09:25 AM   #2
JockVSJock
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Location: SATX
Distribution: RHEL/CentOS
Posts: 1,166
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 131Reputation: 131
How did you try to install Nagois? Yum, .tgz or some other method?

What is the exact error message?

Are you trying to do the install as a user or say root?
 
Old 01-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #3
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 17,934

Rep: Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannat View Post
Dear forum,
I have been facing an issue with crontab in RHEL-7. I tried to install nagios XI in RHEL-7 environment. During installation it was failed due to some crontab issue(which says "path too long".).
I have no idea about this. I just typed crontab in session, it prints "PATH TOO LONG".

If anyone came across such issue or knows how to resolve, Please help me.
Read the "Question Guidelines" and "How to ask a smart question" links in my posting signature. All we know from what you've said is:
  • You're using RHEL7
  • You tried to install Nagios
  • You got "some crontab issue"
What, exactly, do you think we'll be able to tell you from that? Also, you're using RHEL 7...are you PAYING FOR RHEL??? as you should be? Have you contacted RHEL support? There are many how-to guides you can easily find/follow by putting "how to install nagios on rhel 7" into Google. Have you looked at any of them, and if so, which are you following?
 
Old 01-23-2016, 03:57 AM   #4
sannat
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2015
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by JockVSJock View Post
How did you try to install Nagois? Yum, .tgz or some other method?

What is the exact error message?

Are you trying to do the install as a user or say root?
-I am installing Nagios XI in an offline environment. Downloaded the tarball from https://repo.nagios.com/ for RHEL7. Pre-requisites are in place for installation.

-The Error Message is nothing but
"path too long"
This error comes when the installation script executes "crontab -u apache nagiosxi/crontab.apache" command.

-I am trying to Install nagios as a root user.

Thanks
 
Old 01-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #5
JockVSJock
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Location: SATX
Distribution: RHEL/CentOS
Posts: 1,166
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 131Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannat View Post
-I am installing Nagios XI in an offline environment. Downloaded the tarball from https://repo.nagios.com/ for RHEL7. Pre-requisites are in place for installation.

-The Error Message is nothing but
"path too long"
This error comes when the installation script executes "crontab -u apache nagiosxi/crontab.apache" command.

-I am trying to Install nagios as a root user.

Thanks
More information.


Nagios XI is a paid for version, correct? If you have paid for it, why aren't asking Nagios for support?

Also its designed for network monitoring, why are you installing this in an offline environment?

I've also found two URLs that walk thru the install process, have you worked thru either of these?

http://sharadchhetri.com/2014/08/29/...ntos-7-rhel-7/

https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...rs-on-centos-7

Do you have Apache installed? Is it running? Is it the correct version for Nagios?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #6
sannat
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2015
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by JockVSJock View Post
More information.


Nagios XI is a paid for version, correct? If you have paid for it, why aren't asking Nagios for support?

Also its designed for network monitoring, why are you installing this in an offline environment?

I've also found two URLs that walk thru the install process, have you worked thru either of these?

http://sharadchhetri.com/2014/08/29/...ntos-7-rhel-7/

https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...rs-on-centos-7

Do you have Apache installed? Is it running? Is it the correct version for Nagios?

As of now we are using a 60 day trial version. SO no support from nagios and also for offline installation, they dont support.

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/...nvironment.pdf

Steps to install nagios in offline is just to run the fullinstall script in the tar ball, which takes care of apache, crontab and all other components required. Apache server is running in the server.

In a point where it has to add the crontab entries, it fails.

Nagios Version : 5.2.0 (nagiosxi-5-2.0.el7.x86_64.tar.gz)

It seems crontab not working. In the error it clearly says- Crontab failed: Path too long

I have installed Nagios XI 5.2.0 in RHEL 6, with same steps followed. It works fine, that's also Offline environment.

Thanks.

Last edited by sannat; 01-23-2016 at 12:23 PM.
 
Old 01-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #7
JockVSJock
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Location: SATX
Distribution: RHEL/CentOS
Posts: 1,166
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 131Reputation: 131
Not sure then.

Would advise remove Nagios, and reinstall and set a terminal to

Code:
tail -f /var/log/messages
Also make sure cron and apache are running and/or starting upon boot

Code:
chkconfig --list | grep apache 
chkconfig --list | grep cron
Also check with Red Hat's website and their Community, someone might have an answer there.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #8
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 17,934

Rep: Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannat View Post
As of now we are using a 60 day trial version. SO no support from nagios and also for offline installation, they dont support.

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/...nvironment.pdf
Where, exactly, did you get that information from?? Nagios most certainly DOES support offline environment, and that document even tells you how to do it. It says that the DOCUMENTATION is in beta..nothing else. Further, you DO get support during your trial...that is because they want you to PURCHASE their software, and you won't unless it can be installed and run. So call Nagios.
Quote:
Steps to install nagios in offline is just to run the fullinstall script in the tar ball, which takes care of apache, crontab and all other components required. Apache server is running in the server.
Yes...and it will only do these things, if you are paying for RHEL, since it cannot resolve any dependencies or download packages otherwise. From the Nagios documentation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagios Docs
Modifying the yum configuration and installing prerequisite packages

...and....

Watch for error messages when running this command, as some installation scripts may fail if system requirements are missing,
Sounds familiar, doesn't it?
Quote:
In a point where it has to add the crontab entries, it fails.
Nagios Version : 5.2.0 (nagiosxi-5-2.0.el7.x86_64.tar.gz)

It seems crontab not working. In the error it clearly says- Crontab failed: Path too long I have installed Nagios XI 5.2.0 in RHEL 6, with same steps followed. It works fine, that's also Offline environment.
Ok, so again, as you've been asked before....HAVE YOU CONTACTED RED HAT SUPPORT??? You say you're using RHEL 6 and RHEL 7...both of which are commercial, pay-for distributions. They can certainly help you diagnose a problem with crontab, since that's an integral part of the system OS.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Crontab rhel 5.8 dscheyen Red Hat 2 03-27-2012 03:38 PM
confguring crontab in rhel-5 mazhar07 Linux - Newbie 4 10-11-2010 01:34 AM
Problem In Scheduling with Crontab on RHEL 4 Raghu140 Linux - Newbie 4 10-23-2009 03:34 AM
crontab issue houssamfarag Red Hat 2 06-28-2006 12:56 AM
crontab issue lappen Linux - Newbie 6 05-24-2004 06:47 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration