LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
sana jamshaid
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
restore the data


by accident i have made my ubuntu 10.04 system to factory setting and my all important data have been losted. How i can restore my data?Please help me....
 
Old 09-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 18,885

Rep: Reputation: 4258Reputation: 4258Reputation: 4258Reputation: 4258Reputation: 4258Reputation: 4258Reputation: 4258Reputation: 4258Reputation: 4258Reputation: 4258Reputation: 4258
Quote:
Originally Posted by sana jamshaid View Post
by accident i have made my ubuntu 10.04 system to factory setting and my all important data have been losted. How i can restore my data?Please help me....
You restore things from backup. You formatted the disk, so things are probably gone for good. Photorec *MAY* be able to recover some things, providing you haven't used the system much, but there are no guarantees.

And you don't say what kind of system this is, or why you're using the old 10.04 Ubuntu, when the latest is 12.xx, or what you did to reset it to 'factory setting'...
 
Old 09-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 17,093

Rep: Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474
please explain what you did ?
there is no "reset to factory settings" like there is on Microsoft Windows
 
Old 09-15-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
sana jamshaid
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unhappy restore the data

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
You restore things from backup. You formatted the disk, so things are probably gone for good. Photorec *MAY* be able to recover some things, providing you haven't used the system much, but there are no guarantees.

And you don't say what kind of system this is, or why you're using the old 10.04 Ubuntu, when the latest is 12.xx, or what you did to reset it to 'factory setting'...
my skype beta was not working well i have tried to run skype 3 or 4 times but failed so i restart the system after the logo of laptop's company there is the menu appear for recovery mode and other options also i want to recover the system but accidently i select the factory reset option there, it take 30 t0 40 mintues to give the desktop but when i check the system all softwares and my important data does not present there.And also i am using wifi internet connection when i try to download any software from software center the error of internet connection appears please help i need my that important data,.....
2ndly i have tried a lot of time to upgrade the ubuntu10.04 version into 12.00 but there still i got the error message of internet connection....
 
Old 09-15-2013, 03:06 AM   #5
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 29,353
Blog Entries: 55

Rep: Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by sana jamshaid View Post
(..) accidently i select the factory reset option (..) when i check the system all softwares and my important data does not present there.
That's quite unfortunate. Note booting into "recovery mode" wouldn't have recovered the system automagically (as far as I know) but would have allowed you access to the command line directly (runlevel 1) to perform admin tasks. In hindsight it would have been better to first read about menu options before activating them. Since you ignored the "restore things from backup" remark I'll assert you don't have backups. That's a harsh lesson to learn but then again some people need such lessons more than others...

As TB0ne said Photorec may be able to recover some files. To start with data recovery you should read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery for a general overview of the procedure, http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestD..._file_for_ext2 if you would like to first have a look around the file system and http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step for recovery regardless of where data resides. You must not change anything so you may not boot the OS or use it to download or install software: instead use a CDROM or DVD that already comes with Testdisk and Photorec (see list at http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Livecd). You also must have a physically different (external?) disk with enough free space (preferably larger than the partition holding deleted data) to recover files to. If unsure ask questions before you damage even more.
 
Old 09-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
sana jamshaid
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question restore the data

Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
That's quite unfortunate. Note booting into "recovery mode" wouldn't have recovered the system automagically (as far as I know) but would have allowed you access to the command line directly (runlevel 1) to perform admin tasks. In hindsight it would have been better to first read about menu options before activating them. Since you ignored the "restore things from backup" remark I'll assert you don't have backups. That's a harsh lesson to learn but then again some people need such lessons more than others...

As TB0ne said Photorec may be able to recover some files. To start with data recovery you should read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery for a general overview of the procedure, http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestD..._file_for_ext2 if you would like to first have a look around the file system and http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step for recovery regardless of where data resides. You must not change anything so you may not boot the OS or use it to download or install software: instead use a CDROM or DVD that already comes with Testdisk and Photorec (see list at http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Livecd). You also must have a physically different (external?) disk with enough free space (preferably larger than the partition holding deleted data) to recover files to. If unsure ask questions before you damage even more.
you mean external disk....can i connect another laptop which have window xp in it and have free space should i connect that with my ubuntu10.04 system to recover files please tell me the complete method what to do?
 
Old 09-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 29,353
Blog Entries: 55

Rep: Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by sana jamshaid View Post
you mean external disk....
Yes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sana jamshaid View Post
can i connect another laptop which have window xp in it and have free space
I understand if you're strapped for time, don't want to spend money or whatever else valid argument you might have. If you don't have (or can lend) an external disk you might be able to pry open the "victim" laptop (check its manual and hardware specs first) and with the right connector attach the disk to a casing or the other machine. But I really don't recommend you do that because you're bound to introduce more chance of errors, potentially break hardware or unintentionally overwrite stuff.
 
Old 09-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
sana jamshaid
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
restore the data

Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
Yes.



I understand if you're strapped for time, don't want to spend money or whatever else valid argument you might have. If you don't have (or can lend) an external disk you might be able to pry open the "victim" laptop (check its manual and hardware specs first) and with the right connector attach the disk to a casing or the other machine. But I really don't recommend you do that because you're bound to introduce more chance of errors, potentially break hardware or unintentionally overwrite stuff.
i have HDMI cable for connectivity of two system but what to do i really don't know please guide me in this regard...
 
Old 09-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 29,353
Blog Entries: 55

Rep: Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541
Why won't you buy an external hard disk?
Can you at least buy a casing?
Is there any computer parts shop in your area? (You'll need it.)
What are the exact brands and models of both laptops?
Could you please find me the official user manual for both?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to restore pgdumpall data bilalcochin Linux - Newbie 3 02-22-2010 10:43 AM
Restore RAID 0 and Recover data troskin Linux - Newbie 2 10-12-2007 03:50 PM
how to restore all my data anilux Linux - General 6 08-23-2004 05:30 AM
MYSQL data restore pattar Linux - Software 1 02-17-2003 08:55 PM
disk data restore zeky Linux - General 0 08-05-2002 07:08 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration