I installed XP, then RH8 on a 10gb hard drive months ago.
I upgraded XP to .Net Server, which overwrote the MBR.
I used fdisk to set the first linux partition as active, but when I boot I get the message:
and nothing happens.
Is there any way to fix this? I am not afraid of a little work. I want to know how to do this the good way rather than reinstall RH8.
Also, should I have installed linux differently the first time around, with the boot loader in hda2? Is that what I did wrong? I think I am using hda3 as ext3, hda4 as swap, hda2 as boot loader and Winblows is on hda1.
I fixed it. sorry for making people look.
1. I booted from a linux install disk but typed linux rescue
2. I wound up in a temp shell
3. I typed chroot /mnt/syslinux (my real hard drive was mounted there, this allowed the use of grub commands)
5. root (hd0,1) this means first drive, second partition, the partition I want the bootloader in
6. setup (hd0,1) after I type this and got a successful message, I rebooted and saw my dual booting configuration back exactly as is was before I installed microoverpricedforabuggyoperatingsystem.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.|