LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2010, 04:16 AM   #1
niaz_ph
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Posts: 27

Rep: Reputation: 0
regarding RHCE exam..


hi i've just appeared RHCE exam. i passed RHCT....but got only 36% in rhce part. but i configured all the servers correctly. i wrote shell script of iptables and i successfully run it. i wrote the following scripts....

allow domain--172.24.0.0/16
deny domain-172.25.0.0/16
The conditions were
1. no one from deny domain can access pop3
2. only clients within allow domain can access FTP
3.no one from deny domain can access ssh
4.only clients within allow domain can access imaps

i wrote following,..
-----------
iptables -F
service iptables save
iptables -I INPUT -s 172.25.0.0/16 -p tcp --dport 110 -j REJECT
iptables -I INPUT -s ! 172.24.0.0/16 -p tcp --dport 21 -j REJECT
iptables -I INPUT -s 172.25.0.0/16 -p tcp --dport 22 -j REJECT
iptables -I INPUT -s ! 172.24.0.0/16 -p tcp --dport 993 -j REJECT
service iptables save
service iptables restart
chkconfig iptables on

-----------
the result of shell script showed ok when i tested during exam.

i didnt know why i failed in rhce..?? is there any problem in the above scripting..?? BTW i checked all the servers and i found ok after rebooting machine...can anyone suggest me....i am in gr8 depretion....

Last edited by niaz_ph; 01-07-2010 at 04:17 AM.
 
Old 01-07-2010, 04:29 AM   #2
centosboy
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: london
Distribution: centos5
Posts: 1,137

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by niaz_ph View Post
hi i've just appeared RHCE exam. i passed RHCT....but got only 36% in rhce part. but i configured all the servers correctly. i wrote shell script of iptables and i successfully run it. i wrote the following scripts....

allow domain--172.24.0.0/16
deny domain-172.25.0.0/16
The conditions were
1. no one from deny domain can access pop3
2. only clients within allow domain can access FTP
3.no one from deny domain can access ssh
4.only clients within allow domain can access imaps

i wrote following,..
-----------
iptables -F
service iptables save
iptables -I INPUT -s 172.25.0.0/16 -p tcp --dport 110 -j REJECT
iptables -I INPUT -s ! 172.24.0.0/16 -p tcp --dport 21 -j REJECT
iptables -I INPUT -s 172.25.0.0/16 -p tcp --dport 22 -j REJECT
iptables -I INPUT -s ! 172.24.0.0/16 -p tcp --dport 993 -j REJECT
service iptables save
service iptables restart
chkconfig iptables on

-----------
the result of shell script showed ok when i tested during exam.

i didnt know why i failed in rhce..?? is there any problem in the above scripting..?? BTW i checked all the servers and i found ok after rebooting machine...can anyone suggest me....i am in gr8 depretion....

it is more then likely you failed on other areas. there is much much more to the RHCE then just configuring iptables for imap, http ftp and pop3..!
 
Old 01-07-2010, 04:35 AM   #3
niaz_ph
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Posts: 27

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
hi,

i checked web server...it showd ok
proxy it's ok
lvm and quota ...ok

imaps ....ok
pop3 ...ok
ntpd ...ok
samba...ok

if the iptables is ok then where was the mistake.....??
 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by niaz_ph View Post
if the iptables is ok then where was the mistake.....??
You don't appear to be responding the what @centosboy posted....

Regardless, don't they tell you why you failed the exam?
 
Old 01-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
niaz_ph
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Posts: 27

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
the matter is RHCE authority didn't provide me detail of my error in xm. so i am in dark.....So far i did everything alright...i don't know why rhce dont provide the details so that the errors can be identified and fixed while appearing the next time .... it's silly.....!! i am suffering....A lot....
 
Old 01-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 17,948

Rep: Reputation: 3693Reputation: 3693Reputation: 3693Reputation: 3693Reputation: 3693Reputation: 3693Reputation: 3693Reputation: 3693Reputation: 3693Reputation: 3693Reputation: 3693
Quote:
Originally Posted by niaz_ph View Post
the matter is RHCE authority didn't provide me detail of my error in xm. so i am in dark.....So far i did everything alright...i don't know why rhce dont provide the details so that the errors can be identified and fixed while appearing the next time .... it's silly.....!! i am suffering....A lot....
Are you not paying attention to what is getting told to you??

Again...there is LOTS more to the RHCE than the things you've posted. You could have failed in many other areas, so fixating on iptables and a VERY basic shell script, is pointless.

If you're not listening to what folks are telling you here, you probably did the same thing with the exam.
 
Old 01-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
centosboy
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: london
Distribution: centos5
Posts: 1,137

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by niaz_ph View Post
the matter is RHCE authority didn't provide me detail of my error in xm. so i am in dark.....So far i did everything alright...i don't know why rhce dont provide the details so that the errors can be identified and fixed while appearing the next time .... it's silly.....!! i am suffering....A lot....
i have sat and passed this exam and can tell you - there is still a lot more to the exam then what you listed.
no they wont tell you...but then i think that is a good thing...it ensures you learn every area in detail.
 
Old 01-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by niaz_ph View Post
the matter is RHCE authority didn't provide me detail of my error in xm. so i am in dark.....So far i did everything alright...i don't know why rhce dont provide the details so that the errors can be identified and fixed while appearing the next time .... it's silly.....!! i am suffering....A lot....
Normally, when completing an exam, I would expect someone to know where they did not understand something. If I understand the RHCE testing correctly, I would not expect them to give you detailed feedback. Thus---in this situation---you are really the only person who can speculate as to why you did not pass.
 
Old 01-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
anomie
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: Texas
Distribution: RHEL, Scientific Linux, Debian, Fedora
Posts: 3,935
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixellany
If I understand the RHCE testing correctly, I would not expect them to give you detailed feedback.
Right, you get a score and that is all.

The OP might want to consider the NDA he signed before dumping more info into this thread.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RHCE Exam jsypolt Linux - Certification 9 06-28-2009 10:28 AM
RHCE Exam adekoya_sola Linux - Enterprise 29 12-11-2008 01:05 PM
Rhce Exam mrahultiwari Linux - Newbie 2 06-04-2008 12:37 AM
How to get the RHCE Exam, online exam or at college. hocheetiong Linux - Certification 2 08-20-2007 06:24 PM
RHCE Exam!!! pk21 Linux - General 7 08-02-2002 07:15 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration