LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2007, 10:14 AM   #16
Peacedog
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Danville, VA
Distribution: Slackware, Windows, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Mac OS X
Posts: 5,296

Rep: Reputation: 168Reputation: 168

Since the modprobe was successful try a mixer and see if you have sound. If not check permissions on /dev/dsp or see if you have sound as su or root user.

What version of Redhat and what kernel version are you running?
Good luck. ;-)
 
Old 10-03-2007, 10:27 AM   #17
ranjeeva
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi Peacedog,

You're absolutely GREAT!!

This is a miracle.

When I executed cat <MP3 file> > /dev/audio I can here some sound.....

Volume Control is also working......

Thank you very much...

Now I'll trouble you to find a media player

Ranjeeva
 
Old 10-03-2007, 10:44 AM   #18
ranjeeva
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi Peacedog,

Now my volume control is working and as I told you I could here a random sound when I cat [mp3 file] > /dev/audio.

However I cannot listen to music from none of the media players available.

When I played a CD the time goes on but cannot here the song. When I mute from the volume control the hhhhhssss sound of the speaker goes off and when I unmute it comes back.

Please help me to listen to a song.

Thanks & Regards,
Ranjeeva
 
Old 10-03-2007, 10:48 AM   #19
ranjeeva
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacedog View Post
Since the modprobe was successful try a mixer and see if you have sound. If not check permissions on /dev/dsp or see if you have sound as su or root user.

What version of Redhat and what kernel version are you running?
Good luck. ;-)
Hi Peacedog,

I'm running Redhat Linux 9. Kernel 2.4.

Please help me to listen to a song.

Thanks & Regards,
Ranjeeva
 
Old 10-03-2007, 10:53 AM   #20
ranjeeva
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacedog View Post
Since the modprobe was successful try a mixer and see if you have sound. If not check permissions on /dev/dsp or see if you have sound as su or root user.

What version of Redhat and what kernel version are you running?
Good luck. ;-)
Permission for /dev/dsp is crwxrwxrwx. It's ownerd by root:audio

Thanks,
Ranjeeva
 
Old 10-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #21
ranjeeva
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi Peacedog,

Sorry for sending too many messages.

When I tried system sounds (click sound etc) I can hear them in very low volume.

I increased all in the volume cnotrol.

But still cannot listen to music.

Please help.

Thanks,
Ranjeeva
 
Old 10-03-2007, 11:10 AM   #22
Peacedog
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Danville, VA
Distribution: Slackware, Windows, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Mac OS X
Posts: 5,296

Rep: Reputation: 168Reputation: 168
Quote:
When I played a CD the time goes on but cannot here the song. When I mute from the volume control the hhhhhssss sound of the speaker goes off and when I unmute it comes back.
Is this as root or user? If root, you may need a cable from your cdrom to your sound card, if user you need to add your user to the audio group, and you still may need a cable from your cdrom to your sound card. Check to see if you have xmms installed, if so it should have an option to use "digital audio extraction" which means you should be able to listen to a cd from the drive with no cable.

Once you get that sorted, you'll need to edit /etc/modules.conf or /etc/modprobe.conf to add the sound card, so that the proper modules will load again upon reboot.
Good luck. ;-)
 
Old 10-03-2007, 12:22 PM   #23
ranjeeva
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacedog View Post
Is this as root or user? If root, you may need a cable from your cdrom to your sound card, if user you need to add your user to the audio group, and you still may need a cable from your cdrom to your sound card. Check to see if you have xmms installed, if so it should have an option to use "digital audio extraction" which means you should be able to listen to a cd from the drive with no cable.

Once you get that sorted, you'll need to edit /etc/modules.conf or /etc/modprobe.conf to add the sound card, so that the proper modules will load again upon reboot.
Good luck. ;-)
Hello Sir,

I plugged the cable and now I can listen to CD music.

I had to modprobe in the command line and please tell me the command to add in /etc/modules.conf. Can I add the command to the bash_profile ?

How can I listen to MP3 music and do I have to install something to watch video?

Thanks so much,
Ranjeeva
 
Old 10-03-2007, 12:56 PM   #24
Peacedog
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Danville, VA
Distribution: Slackware, Windows, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Mac OS X
Posts: 5,296

Rep: Reputation: 168Reputation: 168
For modules.conf you can try.
Code:
alias sound-slot-0 opl3
There may already be an entry, check that first. It's been a long time since I had to actually write line in /etc/modules.conf, so that may or may not work. You may need to add something else.

For mp3's you'll have to install the pluggin for your player. For video you'll want to install mplayer, xine, or any host of others.
Good luck. ;-)
 
Old 10-04-2007, 02:02 PM   #25
ranjeeva
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacedog View Post
For modules.conf you can try.
Code:
alias sound-slot-0 opl3
There may already be an entry, check that first. It's been a long time since I had to actually write line in /etc/modules.conf, so that may or may not work. You may need to add something else.

For mp3's you'll have to install the pluggin for your player. For video you'll want to install mplayer, xine, or any host of others.
Good luck. ;-)
Hi Peacedog,

Can listen to MP3 now. Thank you!!

I installed MPlayer to watch a video. But it complains that

###########################
It seems there is no Xvideo support for your video card available.
Run 'xvinfo' to verify its Xv support and read DOCS/en/video.html#xv!
See 'mplayer -vo help' for other (non-xv) video out drivers. Try -vo x11
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.
###########################

when I run this command

gmplayer <file_name.mpg>

Please help.

Ranjeeva
 
Old 10-04-2007, 02:45 PM   #26
Peacedog
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Danville, VA
Distribution: Slackware, Windows, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Mac OS X
Posts: 5,296

Rep: Reputation: 168Reputation: 168
You'll need the mplayer codecs if you haven't already installed them, also did you try what was suggested?
Code:
Try -vo x11
Try this and see if it works.
Code:
gmplayer -vo x11 <file_name.mpg>
Good luck. ;-)
 
Old 10-05-2007, 12:53 AM   #27
ranjeeva
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacedog View Post
You'll need the mplayer codecs if you haven't already installed them, also did you try what was suggested?
Code:
Try -vo x11
Try this and see if it works.
Code:
gmplayer -vo x11 <file_name.mpg>
Good luck. ;-)

Hi Sir,

I didn't installed codecs. and When I tried the command gmplayer -vo x11 following error occured.

############################
FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver

FATAL: Could not initialize video filters (-vf) or video output (-vo)
############################

How can I proceed ?

Many Thanks,
Ranjeeva
 
Old 10-05-2007, 08:32 AM   #28
ranjeeva
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi Sir,

After installing codecs for the MPlayer I manage to play vidoes. I copied codecs to /usr/local/lib/win32.

Thank you very much for all your help.

Please tell me how to create a short cut in the Linux main menu under "Sound and Video" category? I managed to create one on the desktop with the Launcher.

Ranjeeva
 
Old 10-05-2007, 08:47 AM   #29
Peacedog
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Danville, VA
Distribution: Slackware, Windows, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Mac OS X
Posts: 5,296

Rep: Reputation: 168Reputation: 168
Start > System settings > Menu updater, or Start > Control Center, one of those should get you there. Glad you've got everything working.
Good luck. ;-)
 
Old 10-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #30
ranjeeva
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Boss,

Now I'm trying to install yahoo messenger.

I saw in this site that I can login to yahoo from GAIM.

I tried it and failed.

Then saw in the site that I have to install GAIM latest version.

And I got to know that GAIM is now coming as Pidgin.

Therefore now I'm trying to install Pidgin.

Please advice me:

1. Should I install Pidigin?
2. Is there a latest vesion of Gaim?
3. Should I install Yahoo Messenger latest version?

Thanks,
Ranjeeva
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
gnome-volume-control "Sorry, no mixer elements and/or devices found" [KIA]aze Linux - Newbie 1 06-24-2010 04:14 PM
Error message when launching volume control - no volume rm_-rf_windows Mandriva 9 06-26-2007 01:17 PM
mplayer error alsa-control /dev/mixer chestnut Linux - Software 2 07-23-2004 05:43 PM
No sound until I mixer/volume control jimdaworm Linux - Software 5 09-04-2003 05:26 PM
Volume control is unable to run correctly. Unable to open audio device '/dev/mixer'. sevenreams Slackware 1 05-16-2003 08:29 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration