LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2004, 02:20 AM   #1
ferrar360355
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
Red hat Sendmail Problem


Mail Content
The original message was received at Fri, 24 Sep 2004 01:01:28 +0800 from [211.162.59.193]

----- Transcript of session follows -----
procmail: Error while writing to "/var/spool/mail/backup"
backup... Deferred: local mailer (/usr/bin/procmail) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL
Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours Will keep trying until message is 5 days old

Attached Txt File

Reporting-MTA: dns; localhost.localdomain
Arrival-Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 01:01:28 +0800

Final-Recipient: RFC822; JOJO@CERTOSA.COM
X-Actual-Recipient: RFC822; backup@localhost.localdomain
Action: delayed
Status: 4.2.0
Diagnostic-Code: X-Unix; 75
Last-Attempt-Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 05:32:55 +0800
Will-Retry-Until: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 01:01:28 +0800


how can i fix it ??/

thx for help
 
Old 09-24-2004, 02:34 AM   #2
kees-jan
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, BeatrIX, OpenWRT
Posts: 273

Rep: Reputation: 30
Uh... Does /var/spool/mail exist? If so, what permissions are set for it?
Does /var/spool/mail/backup exist? With what permissons?

To answer these, open a terminal window, and type
ls -ld /var/spool/mail
ls -l /var/spool/mail/backup
and post the result.

Groetjes,

Kees-Jan
 
Old 09-24-2004, 05:40 AM   #3
ferrar360355
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
ls -ld /var/spool/mail

drwxrwxr-x 2 root mail 4096 ?? 24 17:38 /var/spool/mail

ls -l /var/spool/mail/backup

-rw------- 1 backup mail 2147483369 9月 24 17:40 /var/spool/mail/backup



Sometime this problem will issue ,but something haven't this problem
 
Old 09-24-2004, 07:39 AM   #4
kees-jan
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, BeatrIX, OpenWRT
Posts: 273

Rep: Reputation: 30
I would guess that procmail refuses to write mail to /var/spool/mail/backup, because it has insufficient permissions.

Try typing (as root)
chmod g+rw /var/spool/mail/backup
and see if that improves things.

Groetjes,

Kees-Jan
 
Old 09-24-2004, 11:17 AM   #5
ferrar360355
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by kees-jan
I would guess that procmail refuses to write mail to /var/spool/mail/backup, because it has insufficient permissions.

Try typing (as root)
chmod g+rw /var/spool/mail/backup
and see if that improves things.

Groetjes,

Kees-Jan

thank you very much


but this problem just happen in sometime
 
Old 09-24-2004, 12:17 PM   #6
kees-jan
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, BeatrIX, OpenWRT
Posts: 273

Rep: Reputation: 30
I understand.
That means I can't much help you, unless you know exactly when this happens.

Is there an /etc/procmailrc? What is in it?
Is there an ~backup/.procmailrc? What is in it?

(Try typing
cat /etc/procmailrc
cat ~backup/.procmailrc
)

Groetjes,

Kees-Jan
 
Old 09-24-2004, 09:50 PM   #7
ferrar360355
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by kees-jan
I understand.
That means I can't much help you, unless you know exactly when this happens.

Is there an /etc/procmailrc? What is in it?
Is there an ~backup/.procmailrc? What is in it?

(Try typing
cat /etc/procmailrc
cat ~backup/.procmailrc
)

Groetjes,

Kees-Jan
both no such file or directory


anyway, very thx for your help
 
Old 09-25-2004, 03:42 AM   #8
kees-jan
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, BeatrIX, OpenWRT
Posts: 273

Rep: Reputation: 30
Very well. Log in as user backup, and create a file ~/.procmailrc with the following content:

Code:
LOGFILE=${HOME}/procmail.log
VERBOSE=yes
LOGABSTRACT=all
Make sure it is readable only by user backup by typing
Code:
chmod 600 ~/.procmailrc
Now, if this problem happens again, the file ~backup/procmail.log should contain an additional errormessage.

Groetjes,

Kees-Jan
 
Old 09-25-2004, 05:37 AM   #9
ferrar360355
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
From patrick@preford.com.hk Sat Sep 25 17:34:57 2004
Subject: Mail Delivery (failure stephen@certosa.com)
Folder: **Requeued** 42025
procmail: [10633] Sat Sep 25 17:34:57 2004
procmail: Assigning "LOGABSTRACT=all"
procmail: Locking "/var/spool/mail/backup.lock"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/var/spool/mail/backup"
procmail: Opening "/var/spool/mail/backup"
procmail: Acquiring kernel-lock
procmail: Error while writing to "/var/spool/mail/backup"
procmail: Truncated file to former size
procmail: Unlocking "/var/spool/mail/backup.lock"
procmail: Notified comsat: "backup@:**Requeued**"
 
Old 09-25-2004, 06:06 AM   #10
kees-jan
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, BeatrIX, OpenWRT
Posts: 273

Rep: Reputation: 30
Ok, that doesn't help much. Procmail still complains that it can't write, without much extra information.

Maybe your harddisk is full? try
Code:
df /var/spool/mail
If you have diskspace left, you could try to write to /var/spool/mail/backup yourself, and see what happens, like so (as root)
Code:
cd /var/spool/mail
cp -p backup backup.bak
ls / >> backup
cat backup
This should display the content of the mailbox of user "backup", with the content of your root directory (/) appended.

don't forget to restore the backup of your mailbox, like so:
Code:
rm backup
mv backup.bak backup
If this succeeds as root, you could try this procedure as user backup and as user mail.

Groetjes,

Kees-Jan
 
Old 09-25-2004, 09:53 AM   #11
ferrar360355
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by kees-jan
Ok, that doesn't help much. Procmail still complains that it can't write, without much extra information.

Maybe your harddisk is full? try
Code:
df /var/spool/mail
If you have diskspace left, you could try to write to /var/spool/mail/backup yourself, and see what happens, like so (as root)
Code:
cd /var/spool/mail
cp -p backup backup.bak
ls / >> backup
cat backup
This should display the content of the mailbox of user "backup", with the content of your root directory (/) appended.

don't forget to restore the backup of your mailbox, like so:
Code:
rm backup
mv backup.bak backup
If this succeeds as root, you could try this procedure as user backup and as user mail.

Groetjes,

Kees-Jan
my harddisk have enough space , and i try write , also no proble
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sendmail and Red Hat 9 angelohl Linux - Networking 2 05-09-2005 01:00 PM
Red Hat 9.0 Sendmail Authentication harish_neo Linux - Networking 2 09-30-2004 01:34 AM
Red Hat 8 or 9 sendmail clintonm9 Linux - Software 4 06-24-2003 02:33 PM
sendmail problem on Red Hat 7.3 RAMILLY Linux - Networking 2 09-02-2002 07:42 PM
Removing Sendmail in Red Hat 7.1 THX113'8 Linux - Newbie 5 08-25-2001 10:12 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration