LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
Pichito9
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2014
Posts: 12

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Recover Forgotten Administrative Password


Hello everyone. My issue is the following. My school gave me this Dell inspiron mini 2 years ago, and I actually never used it. Now that I want to use it I want to install some programs (It is currently running ubuntu). The problem is that it asks for a password that I don't know. Could anyone please tell me there is a way to recover or change the password? I'll really appreciate the help. Thank you!
 
Old 11-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
nbritton
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2013
Location: Dubuque, IA
Distribution: Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Mac OS X, Ubuntu, Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 87

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
http://askubuntu.com/questions/24006...ative-password
 
Old 11-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
Fred Caro
Member
 
Registered: May 2007
Posts: 999

Rep: Reputation: 166Reputation: 166
The previous entry depends on wether you are asked for former password, if that is the case you will have to chroot into that installation from a live cd/dvd.

Fred.
 
Old 11-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
dkwolf
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2014
Location: U.S.A missouri
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
hi there is a program call ophcrack i work on computers part time now and sometimes i get one that the person who it belongs to does not know the password for admin rights so that i can fix it i use ophcrack to find the password then have the person change it after i done
just google it

hope this will help
but be warn but only use on you own computer unless you got permission otherwise
 
Old 11-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #5
Soapm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2012
Posts: 180

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Caro View Post
The previous entry depends on wether you are asked for former password, if that is the case you will have to chroot into that installation from a live cd/dvd.

Fred.
Is this something the OP would know how to do?

I would sure be lost and googling something like this would find all kinds of answers, one might be right, some destructive, and some so outdated they'd have you in tears trying to make them work.
 
Old 11-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
dkwolf
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2014
Location: U.S.A missouri
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
here is the link to the page
http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/down...hp?type=livecd
and it is safe to use

burn to a usb stick /use unetbootin for this/ then reboot with usb stick in usb port
it is a .iso file
 
Old 11-21-2014, 01:55 AM   #7
nbritton
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2013
Location: Dubuque, IA
Distribution: Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Mac OS X, Ubuntu, Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 87

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Is this something the OP would know how to do?

I would sure be lost and googling something like this would find all kinds of answers, one might be right, some destructive, and some so outdated they'd have you in tears trying to make them work.
Furthermore, why bother with cracking the password when you can just reset it? Just set init=/bin/bash and then you have the keys to the castle...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lo...#The_Other_Way
 
Old 11-21-2014, 05:20 AM   #8
chrism01
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Centos 6.9, Centos 7.3
Posts: 17,362

Rep: Reputation: 2377Reputation: 2377Reputation: 2377Reputation: 2377Reputation: 2377Reputation: 2377Reputation: 2377Reputation: 2377Reputation: 2377Reputation: 2377Reputation: 2377
If its over 2 years old and never used over that time, then its in need of an update.
Not only that, but I'd imagine there's nothing on there that you can't live without.
Why not just install a brand new up to date distro?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
Pichito9
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2014
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbritton View Post
Furthermore, why bother with cracking the password when you can just reset it? Just set init=/bin/bash and then you have the keys to the castle...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lo...#The_Other_Way
Thanks for the replies! Inbritton I already tried your first suggestion but it didn't work.
Also for your seconds suggestion, out of the options it gives me after I press the shift key, none of them contain the word "kernel".
 
Old 11-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
Pichito9
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2014
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwolf View Post
here is the link to the page
http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/down...hp?type=livecd
and it is safe to use

burn to a usb stick /use unetbootin for this/ then reboot with usb stick in usb port
it is a .iso file
Thank you dkwolf for the answers. I am willing to try this, but since I am not very good with computers, I think I'll need a little help.
I have a USB with nothing in it. I downloaded UNebottin and saved it into the USB (I downloaded it from a mac computer, opened the zip document, and dragged the application to the USB). Also, when downloading the ophcrack, does it matter if it is XP, Vista?
 
Old 11-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #11
nbritton
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2013
Location: Dubuque, IA
Distribution: Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Mac OS X, Ubuntu, Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 87

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichito9 View Post
Thanks for the replies! Inbritton I already tried your first suggestion but it didn't work.
Also for your seconds suggestion, out of the options it gives me after I press the shift key, none of them contain the word "kernel".
You're probably using grub version 2 then, follow these instructions instead...

http://www.tejasbarot.com/2012/09/16...#axzz3Jj5qnSIG

Last edited by nbritton; 11-21-2014 at 11:47 AM.
 
Old 11-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #12
dkwolf
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2014
Location: U.S.A missouri
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Pichito9
you will need the ver that is the sane as your OS /you will have to run unetbootin from you desktop with the usb stick in usb port then you can use the usb stick to bootup the computer to find the password remember the computer has to be abale to boot from usb
hope this will help
right now i runing pud 4.8.5 off a live cd on a old windows xp a hp pavilion a316n

dk
 
Old 11-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #13
Pichito9
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2014
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwolf View Post
Pichito9
you will need the ver that is the sane as your OS /you will have to run unetbootin from you desktop with the usb stick in usb port then you can use the usb stick to bootup the computer to find the password remember the computer has to be abale to boot from usb
hope this will help
right now i runing pud 4.8.5 off a live cd on a old windows xp a hp pavilion a316n

dk
dkwolf, I am sorry for my lack of understanding but I don't really know where to start from. How I said it before, I am not good with computers. I would really appreciate it if you help me all the way through.
First of all, what do you mean by the version similar to the OS? Also, the Unetbootin has to be installed in the computer I'm trying to get the password from?
 
Old 11-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #14
EDDY1
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Oakland,Ca
Distribution: wins7, Debian wheezy
Posts: 6,838

Rep: Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwolf View Post
hi there is a program call ophcrack i work on computers part time now and sometimes i get one that the person who it belongs to does not know the password for admin rights so that i can fix it i use ophcrack to find the password then have the person change it after i done
just google it

hope this will help
but be warn but only use on you own computer unless you got permission otherwise
Ophcrack is for windows os not linux
Quote:
Thanks for the replies! Inbritton I already tried your first suggestion but it didn't work.
Also for your seconds suggestion, out of the options it gives me after I press the shift key, none of them contain the word "kernel".
Are you holding the shift key at boot?
 
Old 11-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #15
Pichito9
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2014
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDY1 View Post
Ophcrack is for windows os not linux
Are you holding the shift key at boot?
Hi EDDY1. Yes, when booting I hold down the shift key, but how I mentioned it, the only four options that appear are the following:

Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-15-lpia
Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-15-lpia (recovery mode)
Memory test (memtest86+)
Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recover Forgotten Administrative Password (Authentication token manipulation error) Pichito9 Linux - Newbie 4 06-23-2014 12:15 PM
how to get my administrative password (ubuntu) swapmax Linux - Newbie 4 12-19-2012 08:05 AM
Need to reset administrative password ronnie699 Linux - Newbie 4 11-21-2011 05:17 PM
simpler GUI password for Administrative tasks while retaining complex user password? workforfood Ubuntu 1 08-29-2009 06:48 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration