1) I'm a Linux Newbie, but want to understand some more of this world.
2) I got a little, but simple, issue. I need your help to solve it.
a) I got a linux ubuntu workstation with a Intel Nic driver.
b) I got a server I want Vmware esxi 4.0 installed on (no OS yet and uses realtek nic drivers)
c) I downloaded drivers; LINUX driver for kernel 2.6.x and 2.4.x (Support x86 and x64) 8.013.00 2009/7/30
Issue that needs to be solved:
I need to get something called r8168.o-file or r8168.ko although I don't know much about such files nor where they are located. It's not in the driver package. Issue is the .o/.ko file and how to create/download/extract, etc.
Above driver contains files:
No r8168.o/r8168.ko file to be found in there.
What I have tried so far:
1) Downloaded missing kbuild, gcc, make for ubuntu.
2) Tried to reuse the ubuntu Workstation modules, but it doesn't provide the r8168.o file as it uses intel drivers instead.
3) Tried to compile the driverpackage according to readme, but the package itself needs the .o file to run, which is kinda weird. Why publish a driver that is only 50% complete?
4) Hunted the Internet Linux sites for a fresh clue to approach this issue. Found Linuxquestions.org as one possible station.
I don't belive this is a difficult issue.
I just want the driver file, so I can burn a esxi-CD to use on my server.
What takes a normal Linux user 1 minute to complete, takes 5 days or more days for a Linux-newbie like me.