LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2010, 02:32 AM   #1
johnh10000
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Distribution: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx
Posts: 541

Rep: Reputation: 33
re-installing postgresql-8.4


After yesterdays problems
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...0&goto=newpost

which one of you guys helped me with, i now have another related problem, its differant, so a new thread.

Before yesterdays problems, I followed this
http://blog.markfeeney.com/2009/10/i...on-ubuntu.html

and it installed fine. Now however
Code:
root@tux:~# sudo apt-get install postgresql-8.4
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package postgresql-8.4 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package postgresql-8.4 has no installation candidate
root@tux:~#
I have made sure it's in the sources list, and i've reloaded it several times

i'm running ubuntu jaunty
 
Old 01-20-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
lupusarcanus
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,022
Blog Entries: 19

Rep: Reputation: 146Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh10000 View Post
After yesterdays problems
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...0&goto=newpost

which one of you guys helped me with, i now have another related problem, its differant, so a new thread.

Before yesterdays problems, I followed this
http://blog.markfeeney.com/2009/10/i...on-ubuntu.html

and it installed fine. Now however
Code:
root@tux:~# sudo apt-get install postgresql-8.4
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package postgresql-8.4 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package postgresql-8.4 has no installation candidate
root@tux:~#
I have made sure it's in the sources list, and i've reloaded it several times

i'm running ubuntu jaunty
Hi. Have you tried the Synaptic graphical package manager with integrated search feature? I just did and found multiple entries for "postgremysql." It is located in System -> Administartion -> Synaptic package manager.

I believe you do not have to define the version number.
Code:
sudo apt-get install postgremysql
Hope this helps.
 
Old 01-20-2010, 03:23 AM   #3
johnh10000
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Distribution: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx
Posts: 541

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard View Post
Hi. Have you tried the Synaptic graphical package manager with integrated search feature? I just did and found multiple entries for "postgremysql." It is located in System -> Administartion -> Synaptic package manager.

I believe you do not have to define the version number.
Code:
sudo apt-get install postgremysql
Hope this helps.
good plan but, will see if it will install, watch this space!
not in the package list

Code:
root@tux:~/etc# sudo apt-get install postgremysql
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package postgremysql
root@tux:~/etc#
 
Old 01-20-2010, 03:26 AM   #4
lupusarcanus
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,022
Blog Entries: 19

Rep: Reputation: 146Reputation: 146
Oh, excuse me sir, I accidentally posted the "my" in the code because I always associate it with sql.

Try this instead...
Quote:
sudo apt-get install postgresql
i apologize.
 
Old 01-20-2010, 03:34 AM   #5
johnh10000
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Distribution: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx
Posts: 541

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard View Post
Oh, excuse me sir, I accidentally posted the "my" in the code because I always associate it with sql.

Try this instead...


i apologize.
I know that feeling!! I am trying to use some new (to me) radio playout stuff. And just about all of them use postgresql me and it DO NOT have a good track record. This time, seems no differant

right!
Code:
oot@tux:~/etc# sudo apt-get install postgresql 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed
  postgresql
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 248kB of archives.
After this operation, 287kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get: 1 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty-updates/main postgresql 8.3.9-0ubuntu9.04 [248kB]
Fetched 248kB in 0s (410kB/s)  
Selecting previously deselected package postgresql.
(Reading database ... 222471 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking postgresql (from .../postgresql_8.3.9-0ubuntu9.04_all.deb) ...
Setting up postgresql (8.3.9-0ubuntu9.04) ...
root@tux:~/etc#
but still only 8.3.

the only reason why I want 8.4 is it provides /etc/postgres/8.4 where I can fiddle with access rights.
 
Old 01-20-2010, 03:38 AM   #6
lupusarcanus
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,022
Blog Entries: 19

Rep: Reputation: 146Reputation: 146
Quote:
the only reason why I want 8.4 is it provides /etc/postgres/8.4 where I can fiddle with access rights.
Ah, I see.

Perhap this is what you are looking for?
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/i3...l-8.4/download
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing postgresql-8.3 ipfreely28 Fedora 8 07-31-2008 11:15 PM
Problem installing PostgreSQL on RH9 Hawkin Linux - Software 7 07-30-2008 07:56 AM
Installing PostgreSQL DBMS Hady Linux - Software 1 04-28-2004 06:44 AM
installing and running postgresql or MySql Whatshisface Linux - Software 3 02-23-2004 12:29 AM
can't installing Postgresql importboy03 Linux - Software 6 02-13-2003 03:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration