LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
MagicMaxi
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Posts: 16

Rep: Reputation: 0
questions about packages


Hi!

I've got a few questions baout packages. I'm using Suse 10.0 OSS. If I install a package from binary-rpm it will be detected as installed if I search for it with e.g. Yast.
I mean, when I start Yast-software and search for that package yast will show me that I have installed that package.
When I make e.g. libraries from source, meaning ./configure make make install then Yast does not show me that I have installed that package. So if I want to install a package from rpm that depends on the package i built with make I cant install the rpm. How can I tell Yast that I have installed that package from source?

another question: Where can I find a good tutorial about the files config.in, config.am, configure, make, make.in, make.am and so on. I mean the files, that are used to build the sources.

And a third question: In which directories does pkg-config look for the *.pc files? Where can I get *.pc files, wenn I did not install the package from rpm but from source? fltk2 e.g. does not have such a *.pc-file

I hope you can help me
 
Old 11-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738
I would suggest asking one question at a time---makes it easier (and more likely) to get responses.

Quote:
I've got a few questions baout packages. I'm using Suse 10.0 OSS. If I install a package from binary-rpm it will be detected as installed if I search for it with e.g. Yast.
I mean, when I start Yast-software and search for that package yast will show me that I have installed that package.
I don't know, but it is easy enough to test.

Quote:
When I make e.g. libraries from source, meaning ./configure make make install then Yast does not show me that I have installed that package. So if I want to install a package from rpm that depends on the package i built with make I cant install the rpm. How can I tell Yast that I have installed that package from source?
In principle, you can edit a YAST config file to make it believe just about anything. I would, however, regard this as something akin to juggling chainsaws.

Quote:
another question: Where can I find a good tutorial about the files config.in, config.am, configure, make, make.in, make.am and so on. I mean the files, that are used to build the sources.
Read any of numerous docs on building Linux SW--I would start at TLDP.org

Quote:
And a third question: In which directories does pkg-config look for the *.pc files? Where can I get *.pc files, wenn I did not install the package from rpm but from source? fltk2 e.g. does not have such a *.pc-file
Lazy way out of this one: As root, enter: "find / -name *.pc"

Also--I would use the package manager whenever you can, and then simply install anything else to /opt. You can then easily keep track of what YOU installed, vs what YAST did.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Symlinks in packages questions shotokan Slackware 2 02-25-2006 02:18 AM
A few newbie questions about general packages trxdraxon Linux - Newbie 2 01-12-2006 11:27 PM
PC BSD Packages and Questions webwolf70 *BSD 5 05-04-2005 07:48 PM
questions about packages salviadud Slackware 5 02-11-2005 02:07 PM
A couple of newbie questions regarding packages sharpie Slackware 7 04-12-2004 07:55 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration