Procedure to install linux on a dell dimension 4600.
I am a newbie on linux and need to install a red hat 9 version - the available one - on my dell dimension 4600. I started to do it, but had to stop in the second step. The problem, I think, is that its HD controller is not being recognized by red hat. It follows a description of my PC system.
1) Pentium 4, 8 GHz, MMT, INT, SNDNIC;
2) Keyboard 107 keys (ABNT-2 standard) (this is not a problem);
3) 256 MB DDR SDRAM 333MHz;
4) 48X CD-RW/DVD COMBO DRIVE tied;
5) Integrated audio;
6) Dell E733 monitor 17, BCC;
8) Integrated INTEL EXTREME GRAPHICS;
9)120GB SERIAL ATA, 7200RPM, TIED;
10) Network board INTEL PRO 100M PCI;
Another relevant informations are:
11) Intel 82865G graphics controller;
12) Intel 82801EB SM Bus controller - 24D3;
13) Intel 82801EB universal host controller;
14) Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA storage controllers;
16) Intel 82801EB USB Universal Host controller.
If somebody decides to help me, please consider that:
1) I´ve been using Linux/UNIX systems for a few years, so that
I´m familiar with command environment, text mode, vi editor, basic shell
scripting and I´m able to use some MS-DOS tools if necessary;
2) a computer works from the monitor to me and from me to the monitor (through keyboard, of course), because I DO NOT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING about hardware configuration, drivers installation and so on (but I can learn it quickly, I need to!).
Perhaps there is some missing detail on my description. If so, please make me know so that I can describe more precisely what´s going on. I will really appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance,
Rio de Janeiro-Brazil.