LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
mmorton89
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Columbus, OH
Distribution: Centos 6.3
Posts: 20

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
problems with yum


Ok so I used yum earlier to install gnome but for some reason I can't download java or screen I get these errors.

Install 1 Package(s)
Upgrade 0 Package(s)

Total download size: 494 k
Installed size: 795 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/cen...l6.x86_64.rpm: [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 6 - ""
Trying other mirror.
http://mirror.net.cen.ct.gov/centos/...l6.x86_64.rpm: [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 6 - ""
Trying other mirror.

Does anyone know what happened?
 
Old 07-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
kbp
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,790

Rep: Reputation: 650Reputation: 650Reputation: 650Reputation: 650Reputation: 650Reputation: 650
The target url seems to be valid so I'd guess that your internet connection/dns was failing at the time.
 
Old 07-22-2012, 03:41 AM   #3
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 16,817

Rep: Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408
off hand just HOW did you install Gnome ???

yum is very VERY dependent on some gnome files and on python

from the links you gave in the first post you are using CentOS6.3
Gnome 2 should have been Auto installed BY default
unless you instructed the installer NOT to , like for a headless server.

from your other post
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...5/#post4733930
Are you behind a router or proxy ?
 
Old 07-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
mmorton89
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Columbus, OH
Distribution: Centos 6.3
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
off hand just HOW did you install Gnome ???

yum is very VERY dependent on some gnome files and on python

from the links you gave in the first post you are using CentOS6.3
Gnome 2 should have been Auto installed BY default
unless you instructed the installer NOT to , like for a headless server.

from your other post
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...5/#post4733930
Are you behind a router or proxy ?
sorry about the double post, I posted one and did not see it posted on the forums. I don't know about the router or proxy I got the server from datashack.net and like the other post says my /etc/resolv.conf was blank and when I changed it to nameserver 8.8.8.8 it worked.

So I don't know if I did not do something I was supposed to, or if datashack missed something. I've gotten a server from them before and I never had any issues with the network, I was always able to use wget and yum.
 
Old 07-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 16,817

Rep: Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408
please post the FULL output of this
Code:
su -
yum repolist all
Quote:
I don't know about the router or proxy I got the server from datashack.net
HOW is it you do not know if there is a router between YOU and the web ( yes / no)
or if you ARE or ARE NOT using a proxy ( yes / no )


the std network tools for rhel6 are "ifup" "ifdown" "ifconfig"


and please ANSWER the question " How did you install Gnome??? "
yum is VERY dependent on python and Gnome is ALSO dependent on python that IS IN the "BASE" repo
please post the full command you gave to install gnome desktop
it is only one line of text
 
Old 07-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
mmorton89
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Columbus, OH
Distribution: Centos 6.3
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
please post the FULL output of this
Code:
su -
yum repolist all
Code:
[root@server ~]# yum repolist all
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: bay.uchicago.edu
 * extras: mirror.serversurgeon.com
 * updates: dist1.800hosting.com
repo id                    repo name                             status
base                       CentOS-6 - Base                       enabled: 6,261+85
c6-media                   CentOS-6 - Media                      disabled
centosplus                 CentOS-6 - Plus                       disabled
contrib                    CentOS-6 - Contrib                    disabled
debug                      CentOS-6 - Debuginfo                  disabled
extras                     CentOS-6 - Extras                     enabled:        4
updates                    CentOS-6 - Updates                    enabled:   229+27
repolist: 6,494
[root@server ~]#
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
HOW is it you do not know if there is a router between YOU and the web ( yes / no)
or if you ARE or ARE NOT using a proxy ( yes / no )


the std network tools for rhel6 are "ifup" "ifdown" "ifconfig"
router

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
and please ANSWER the question " How did you install Gnome??? "
yum is VERY dependent on python and Gnome is ALSO dependent on python that IS IN the "BASE" repo
please post the full command you gave to install gnome desktop
it is only one line of text
Code:
yum groupinstall desktop

Last edited by mmorton89; 07-25-2012 at 09:52 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
YUM problems kamaleshbv1 Linux - Newbie 4 06-23-2012 11:52 AM
yum problems swastikphulera Linux - Newbie 7 06-04-2011 02:36 PM
yum install flash ... yum: command not found ... which yum ... /usr/bin/yum tg3793 Fedora 8 04-13-2011 12:25 PM
Yum problems linuxdummy Fedora 11 01-24-2008 03:36 AM
Yum problems ace01000 Linux - Newbie 3 03-24-2007 08:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration