Welcome to LQ.
Let's back up a little here. Firstly, may I suggest that you go into Windows and re-format the pendrive from there - as Fat32, and add a couple of files to it.
Then, boot into Linux but do not boot with the pendrive attached - boot with it in your hand, not on the computer. Once it's up and running, plug in the device then open up a terminal (the thing that looks like a dos box) and type the following:
Look for a line like this::
2,0,0 200) 'Generic ' 'Traveling Disk ' '1.11' Removable Disk
If you have something similar, then lets play!
When you insert the pendrive, Linux sees it's a new usb device, and probes for it. It sees that it's a removable 'mass' storage device, and treats it like a removable scsi disk. With this in mind, we can look to see where it is:
If you have no other scsi disks (and I include ata/ide Zip drives in that) then it should come back with /dev/sda. If so, then we have found the device. Just check that it is working ok. For this next bit, you will need to change to root (type su root
, press enter and then enter root's password).
fdisk -l /dev/sda
(presuming it was /dev/sda).
It should come back with some information about the partitions on your pendrive. If all is OK, then it should only list 1 partition, /dev/sda1.
If you're still with me, then we'll get on with it.
Mandy 9.1 automagically tries to mount devices for you, and I find it annoying. However, it can be useful. It should have made a directory /mnt/removable
. Check to see if your files are in there (remember you put files on it above). If so, then you should be ready to rock and roll with it - but remember that you should, under KDE, right-click on the icon and unmount the device first, just like you should under Windows.
If there were no files there, then check the file /etc/fstab
and look to see if there is an entry for /mnt/removable. If so, then at the terminal, type mount /mnt/removable
and check again to see if your files are there.
Hopefully you should be up and running now.
Just a quick note, though: there should have been no need to edit usb.config, or whatever. It should work out of the box.
Hope this helps.