LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2004, 01:47 PM   #1
anttu
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 0
problems installing gd-library


I've got a problem when I'm trying to compile the gd-library version 2.0.28 on my RH 8.0 box.
Configure goes through without problem...
I have jpeg png gif and truetype2 support

I get the following when I run make:


rm -fr .libs/libgd.la .libs/libgd.* .libs/libgd.*
gcc -shared gd.lo gdfx.lo gd_gd.lo gd_gd2.lo gd_io.lo gd_io_dp.lo gd_gif_in.lo gd_gif_out.lo gd_io_file.lo gd_io_ss.lo gd_jpeg.lo gd_png.lo gd_ss.lo gd_topal.lo gd_wbmp.lo gdcache.lo gdfontg.lo gdfontl.lo gdfontmb.lo gdfonts.lo gdfontt.lo gdft.lo gdhelpers.lo gdkanji.lo gdtables.lo gdxpm.lo wbmp.lo -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -L/home/bla/files/linux_progs/source/gd-2.0.28 -ljpeg /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so -lpng12 -lz -lm -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -Wl,-rpath -Wl,-soname -Wl,libgd.so.2 -o .libs/libgd.so.2.0.0
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open libgd.so.2: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [libgd.la] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/bla/files/linux_progs/source/gd-2.0.28'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bla/files/linux_progs/source/gd-2.0.28'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I don't understand where it looks for libgd.so.2, it's present under /usr/local/lib/ but should it be somewhere else??

I'm stucked! HELP!

/Anttu

Last edited by anttu; 09-13-2004 at 03:32 PM.
 
Old 09-12-2004, 02:06 PM   #2
rjlee
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04
Posts: 1,990

Rep: Reputation: 69
I don't know, but it's not trying to read libgd.so.2.

If the output is libgd.so.2.0.0 (to which libgd.so.2 is just a symbolic link), then I wouldn't expect it to be reading libgd.so.2 at all.

This bit:[quote]-Wl,-soname -Wl,libgd.so.2[/code] just tells the linker the name of the shared object file it's to create, and I don't see any other reference to libgd.so.2 there.

It may actually be saying that it can't create the libgd.so.2 file (i.e. .libs/libgd.so.2.0.0). Does the .libs directory exist, and can you write to it?
 
Old 09-12-2004, 04:44 PM   #3
anttu
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rjlee
I don't know, but it's not trying to read libgd.so.2.

If the output is libgd.so.2.0.0 (to which libgd.so.2 is just a symbolic link), then I wouldn't expect it to be reading libgd.so.2 at all.

This bit:
Quote:
-Wl,-soname -Wl,libgd.so.2[/code] just tells the linker the name of the shared object file it's to create, and I don't see any other reference to libgd.so.2 there.

It may actually be saying that it can't create the libgd.so.2 file (i.e. .libs/libgd.so.2.0.0). Does the .libs directory exist, and can you write to it?

If it's trying to create the file, in which directory does it try to make it??
Is it in /usr/local/lib (.libs/libgd.so.2.0.0)
or
is it in /home/bla/...../gd-2.0.28/ (.libs/libgd.so.2.0.0) ??

under those directories there isn't any libs directory...
What should I do next??

/Anttu
 
Old 09-13-2004, 07:16 AM   #4
anttu
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
anyone!?!? HELP!!
 
Old 09-13-2004, 07:20 AM   #5
rjlee
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04
Posts: 1,990

Rep: Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally posted by anttu
If it's trying to create the file, in which directory does it try to make it??
Is it in /usr/local/lib (.libs/libgd.so.2.0.0)
or
is it in /home/bla/...../gd-2.0.28/ (.libs/libgd.so.2.0.0) ??

under those directories there isn't any libs directory...
What should I do next??

/Anttu
It should be creating it in /home/bla/...../gd-2.0.28/.libs

Note that .libs is (because of the leading dot) a hidden directory; you'll need to use ls -al .libs to see it.
 
Old 09-13-2004, 10:31 AM   #6
anttu
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by rjlee
It should be creating it in /home/bla/...../gd-2.0.28/.libs

Note that .libs is (because of the leading dot) a hidden directory; you'll need to use ls -al .libs to see it.
OK, the folder is there and I can create a file called libgd.so.2.0.0 by my self, but why can't make do it??
The folder has drwxr-xr-x permissions...

/Anttu
 
Old 09-13-2004, 02:48 PM   #7
rjlee
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04
Posts: 1,990

Rep: Reputation: 69
Are you running make as another user, such as root? If so, you won't be able to create the file because only the owner has write-access to that directory.
 
Old 09-13-2004, 03:21 PM   #8
anttu
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by rjlee
Are you running make as another user, such as root? If so, you won't be able to create the file because only the owner has write-access to that directory.
I run make as root, yes, but the directory is owned by root and it doesn't help that the whole tree down is owned by root....
I can't just understand what could be wrong!?!???!?!
I'm going crazy soon...
 
Old 09-14-2004, 04:28 AM   #9
anttu
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
up
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More library problems Outabux Debian 4 04-07-2004 09:33 PM
qt3 library problems kadaver Slackware 1 01-18-2004 06:04 PM
SERIOUS library problems... help! BroX Linux - Software 4 01-14-2004 04:14 AM
library problems Ismark Linux - Newbie 1 01-04-2002 06:50 PM
Library problems Ismark Linux - Software 3 01-04-2002 06:00 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration