Problems setting-up dialup modem
For reasons known only to U.S. Robotic their 5610B modem will only install itself on /dev/ttyS4 [COMM 5].
I recently install a copy of LibraNet 2.8.1 [Debian] on my multi-drive computer, and with the help of a "guru" on another forum I managed to get Libranet to "find" the dial-up modem.
On the first test run the modem connected for 5 seconds [I believe this 5 second interval is written into the kppp script] and then I got an error message.
"pppd daemon died unexpectedly"
This was with GNOME dialer, I tried Libranet's custom dialer and it connected for about 45 seconds. Error message this time was.
"alarm - connect script failed disconnected"
I suspect the problem is with the "AT string" BUT I don't know how to edit it to fix it.
Just to check, I fired up MDK 9.0 [different HD, same modem] and there was no problem connecting.