Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
I'm currently running Slackware 12 on a Pentium III 450Mhz, 192RAM, video #D Blaster Banshee.
I had problems when trying to play encoded DVD's with xine, so I decided to try with MPlayer, after having some initial problems, like with the codecs and to get gmplayer to work, I was finally able to watch the DVD (the only one actually). Well, two days later, just to be sure that everything was working I tried to play the exact same DVD and it starts giving me an error related to the fonts, after some research I was able to fix it but then a new error pops up:
too many video packets in the buffer (4096 in 8249046 bytes)
Also, some weird I notice is that the DVD doesn't start playing from the beginning, but briefly shows the initial language screen and jumps to the middle of the movie. This happened before I got the codecs working initially, and also the keyboard doesn't seem to work except for the Esc key to close MPlayer.
I'm not sure if any more details are required, actually, I cannot think of something else, since I don't understand why if I was actually able to watch the movie it stopped working afterwards. Maybe I did something wrong with the codecs, but I didn't touch them after watching that DVD, I just turned of the box.
are ou, by any chance, running compiz or beryl?
If so shut them down..
If not, then what have you altered since trying mplayer...
Too many packets... is usually when running any of the acceleration packages with 3D, like the cube you can have or water effects, etc....
I'm not running Beryl nor Compiz, I currently have KDE but I've been thinking to give Gnome a try.
And I also know that it is not because the machine is slow, since, as I said on my original post, I had already watched that movie without any issues. I'm thinking that it has to be something with the codecs. Maybe the first time I passed some argument that correctly mapped the codecs to gmplayer and that was lost after I shut down the machine.
Also, regarding 3d acceleration, I had a problem before because I was not using the correct driver for my card but that has been solved (in fact, I was able to watch the movie in the first place because this was solved), and I'm using the tdfx driver with my 3d Blaster Banshee.