LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-02-2009, 02:36 AM   #1
sagar.khanolkar
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
problem with installation


Hi

I have an Intel D945GCR motherboard intel dual core processor and western digital 160gb PATA hard disk when i try to install red hat linux on it , it says no hard drive found.
I have windows xp professional installed on same hard disk but i have kept around 6GB space for linux.


please help me in this regard.
 
Old 10-02-2009, 02:39 AM   #2
chrism01
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Centos 6.8, Centos 5.10
Posts: 17,245

Rep: Reputation: 2327Reputation: 2327Reputation: 2327Reputation: 2327Reputation: 2327Reputation: 2327Reputation: 2327Reputation: 2327Reputation: 2327Reputation: 2327Reputation: 2327
Exactly what version of Red Hat ? Hopefully not one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Linux

How are you trying to install?
Can you paste/type the exact error msg?
 
Old 10-02-2009, 03:36 AM   #3
AwesomeMachine
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: USA and Italy
Distribution: Debian testing/sid; OpenSuSE; Fedora
Posts: 1,899

Rep: Reputation: 268Reputation: 268Reputation: 268
My guess would be the red hat linux is too old to recognize the disk controller. You can install fedora 11.0. That's very similar to red hat, and free of charge. You would need to download the install disk from a fedora mirror.
 
Old 10-02-2009, 04:24 AM   #4
DrLove73
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Srbobran, Serbia
Distribution: CentOS 5.5 i386 & x86_64
Posts: 1,118
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 129Reputation: 129
RHEL/CentOS 5.3 can run on all HDD controllers I came across.

If it is ancient Rad Hat distro (any OS actualy, given Windows 3.0/DOS), it might help if you go to you BIOS and set SATA controller mode to NativeIDE or LegacyIDE.

Last edited by DrLove73; 10-02-2009 at 04:26 AM.
 
Old 10-02-2009, 04:59 AM   #5
computerophil
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Austria
Distribution: Various: Puppy, Knoppix, Openmamba, Mandriva,......
Posts: 102

Rep: Reputation: 18
Most distros nowadays offer the possibility to use them as a LiveCD/DVD.
So I think it is best to try some to find the one that fits best to my hardware and is as I want it to be. (GUI, programs,...)

I myself had excellent experience with:
openmamba (KDE) / RPM (APT)
Mandriva (GNOME, KDE) / RPM
SAM (XFCE) / RPM
SaxenOS (LXDE) / TGZ
Knoppix (LXDE) / DEB,
Puppy (JWM) / PET,

Last edited by computerophil; 10-02-2009 at 05:01 AM.
 
Old 10-03-2009, 01:36 AM   #6
sagar.khanolkar
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism01 View Post
Exactly what version of Red Hat ? Hopefully not one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Linux

How are you trying to install?
Can you paste/type the exact error msg?

1> The version is Red Hat Linux 9.

2> I am trying to install through a cd.

3> Error Message

>No hard drives have been found . you probably need to manually choose device drivers for installation to succeed? would you like to select drivers now?
 
Old 10-03-2009, 01:37 AM   #7
sagar.khanolkar
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeMachine View Post
My guess would be the red hat linux is too old to recognize the disk controller. You can install fedora 11.0. That's very similar to red hat, and free of charge. You would need to download the install disk from a fedora mirror.

fedora too gives me similar error
 
Old 10-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
DrLove73
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Srbobran, Serbia
Distribution: CentOS 5.5 i386 & x86_64
Posts: 1,118
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 129Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerophil View Post
Most distros nowadays offer the possibility to use them as a LiveCD/DVD.
So I think it is best to try some to find the one that fits best to my hardware and is as I want it to be. (GUI, programs,...)
Does not have to be better option. Easier maybe. I have several LiveCD's from few distro's. Few Fedora's can not see HDD with LiveCD. Can't remember the details. It's similar with CentOS LiveCD but with better luck. But full CentOS DVD is jet to fail me. Problem is in available space on the CD. Maybe if they would make LiveDVD's and put full kernel with all the drivers.... I think Knoppix is successful because of full kernel.
 
Old 10-04-2009, 12:41 AM   #9
divyashree
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Location: bbsr,orissa,India
Distribution: RHEL5 ,RHEL4,CENT OS5,FEDORA,UBUNTU
Posts: 1,362

Rep: Reputation: 135Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagar.khanolkar View Post
Hi

I have an Intel D945GCR motherboard intel dual core processor and western digital 160gb PATA hard disk when i try to install red hat linux on it , it says no hard drive found.
I have windows xp professional installed on same hard disk but i have kept around 6GB space for linux.


please help me in this regard.
U should use Latest version of REDHAT/FEDORA or if want to use old versions,use with updated/patched version .Bcoz the old version were unable to recognize the SATA HDD controllers.
 
Old 10-04-2009, 01:51 AM   #10
computerophil
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Austria
Distribution: Various: Puppy, Knoppix, Openmamba, Mandriva,......
Posts: 102

Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLove73 View Post
Does not have to be better option. Easier maybe. I have several LiveCD's from few distro's. Few Fedora's can not see HDD with LiveCD. Can't remember the details. It's similar with CentOS LiveCD but with better luck. But full CentOS DVD is jet to fail me. Problem is in available space on the CD. Maybe if they would make LiveDVD's and put full kernel with all the drivers.... I think Knoppix is successful because of full kernel.
I still think it is best option:
I could do it wuith most distros. With some (e.g. older Puppy) I have to mount the partitions with some others it's automatically.
I like Puppy and Knoppix but also openmamba, mandriva, sam, ...
With some you have to put "sudo su" to get full access.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PXE installation problem - can only select A series packages for installation Nylex Slackware 4 08-19-2010 03:15 PM
Installation of Binutils(configure:error:installation or configuration problem:C ...) h_r0019 Linux From Scratch 1 05-05-2007 08:40 AM
Redhat/Linux Installation Support??? Is It Red hat installation problem??? wanux Red Hat 1 08-01-2006 11:32 PM
LiLo Installation problem ?and (GNOME and KDE problem) hitesh_linux Linux - Software 1 01-01-2002 05:56 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration