LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2008, 03:09 AM   #16
Mega Man X
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Location: ~
Distribution: Ubuntu, FreeBSD, Solaris, DSL
Posts: 5,339

Rep: Reputation: 64
Question


Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE666 View Post
I am very happy for you,and glad that you enjoy show casing your sarcasm..
..If you have nothing constructive to add,why waste your time?
TRY A COMEDY FORUM!!....I guess we are allowed a little humour out here.
You may have wanted to add some advice though if you are truly a guru,do Gurus not usually advise, and offer assistance??as well as spread smiles???
Or maybe you are pulling some Zen shite on my a--?
It was a good one though,however maybe try adding some constructive criticism
I would likely laugh at any other time,however i just want to solve this issue...and today is not one that i am on the sunny side of the street.
I just wanted to say that I am adding you to my large (and growing) ignore list. You have the very worst attitude from any member I came across in this forum, ever.

You don't reply correctly when people ask you for more detail, you delete your posts almost every time your question was answered, so you are clearly not here to help others, but to only get help. You also write in CAPS a lot, which in the case you didn't know, it means SHOUTING. Go and shout at your dad's ear, not mine. You can't even spell the name of your distribution correctly.

And to sum up my very constructive reply (as requested), return your computer to the store where you bought it from or ask for help on a IRC channel, since you clearly don't understand what a forum and archiving is all about. Linux is clearly not for you, rude little man...

P.S: Thank you AceofSpades19

Last edited by Mega Man X; 01-30-2008 at 09:02 AM.
 
Old 01-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #17
AceofSpades19
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: Chilliwack,BC.Canada
Distribution: Slackware64 -current
Posts: 2,079

Rep: Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man X View Post
P.S: Thank you AceofSpades19
No problem
 
Old 01-31-2008, 07:11 PM   #18
DAVE666
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 145

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
[QUOTE=AceofSpades19;3039666]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE666 View Post

You need to calm down a bit, Mega Man X, as far as I can tell, was honestly trying to help you, its hard to help you if you think we are being sarcastic when we are actually trying to help you.
Unless there is some reason that you absolutely need realplayer, I would suggest using mplayer, which if you google around a bit, there are some guides that show you how to install it
I was not into any jokes at that time,i was attempting to be serious,maybe too so,in trying to solve my issue..
Thanks,all is cool..
 
Old 01-31-2008, 07:25 PM   #19
gankoji
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Location: Southern California
Distribution: Slackware-13.0 x86_64, Slackware 12.2, slackware64-current
Posts: 225

Rep: Reputation: 35
Just wanted to throw in my two cents here, but compiling from source and making life difficult are two different things :-P. Compiling from sources often involves three very easy steps (albeit they are on the command line) as opposed to trying to figure out what options to use with a package manager. I'm not saying package managers aren't awesome, I'm just saying compiling from source is cool too.

And thanks to both of you, Mega Man X and AceofSpades, for putting up with dopes and newbies like all of us start out as.
 
Old 01-31-2008, 07:28 PM   #20
DAVE666
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 145

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man X View Post
I just wanted to say that I am adding you to my large (and growing) ignore list. You have the very worst attitude from any member I came across in this forum, ever.

You don't reply correctly when people ask you for more detail, you delete your posts almost every time your question was answered, so you are clearly not here to help others, but to only get help. You also write in CAPS a lot, which in the case you didn't know, it means SHOUTING. Go and shout at your dad's ear, not mine. You can't even spell the name of your distribution correctly.

And to sum up my very constructive reply (as requested), return your computer to the store where you bought it from or ask for help on a IRC channel, since you clearly don't understand what a forum and archiving is all about. Linux is clearly not for you, rude little man...

P.S: Thank you AceofSpades19
RUDE LITTLE MAN!? I am very honored to be added to your shit list..I feel extremely important right now!
With a name like MEGA MAN! lol who is the ego maniac here!?
Don't bother replying,i really do not care about YOU!
If you ever bothered to read my post,not just pick,and find fault,which i noticed you do a lot! You just may have noticed that i have told everyone i am new to the forum world!...I have never been on one before! I also make mistakes,unlike you i guess!? And i frequently apologise for my mistakes!..For spelling..Who really cares as long as one gets the bloody point! Are we in English class here?
I also am here to share,and not just take, as you have ignorantly implied!
I deleted you door knob as i posted twice! I may not "reply correctly" as Linux is a new world, and new language for me! Hence the spelling mistakes! and on the subject of caps! I intend to point something out with them,forgive my errors.
I feel very lucky to be your new FRIEND!
And i took your little jab as an insult,you used the MS thingy as a dig.. I felt! as you did not even offer advice after making your joke..
Anyway we are done! I will not respond to you,DO NOT RESPOND TO ME!!.
 
Old 01-31-2008, 07:41 PM   #21
DAVE666
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 145

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gankoji View Post
Just wanted to throw in my two cents here, but compiling from source and making life difficult are two different things :-P. Compiling from sources often involves three very easy steps (albeit they are on the command line) as opposed to trying to figure out what options to use with a package manager. I'm not saying package managers aren't awesome, I'm just saying compiling from source is cool too.

And thanks to both of you, Mega Man X and AceofSpades, for putting up with dopes and newbies like all of us start out as.
Yes you were once a "dope and a newb" Or were you born knowing how to program??? Do not try to bring salvation to your rude comment above with "like all of us start out as".It doesn't work.
I have so far found a lot of people out here to be very ,extremely! patient and help full"with dopes and newbs",polite etc However there are several like Mega Dope! like yourself that could take a more polite approach with others..People like M D seem to like to point out everyones faults,by playing GOD.
I told everyone straight up that i have never been on a forum before,not everyone has! I am learning the ropes with a new OS as well as learning about Forums...
I mean read M D s reply to my post,if he truly was just making a joke that was misunderstood by myself,he should have responded by indicating that was so! However he seized the opportunity to go on the attack, and be an ignorant LITTLE MEGA MAN!..So his reply shows exactly why he is here,to play God and correct us "Newbs and Dopes"
I didn't like his joke,well actually it was ok,i just saw what he really was up to when he didn't offer any advice.I don't like him,he doesn't like me! Thats ok..We will no longer communicate.
I am shouting now! EVERYONE ,LETS END THIS RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE! NO MORE REPLIES TO THIS Thread..Its BS! Becoming personal..LETS ALL GET BACK TO WHAT WE ARE HERE FOR!
Maybe the moderators can lock this one down.
Thanks

Last edited by DAVE666; 01-31-2008 at 08:27 PM.
 
Old 01-31-2008, 07:52 PM   #22
DAVE666
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 145

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by oskar View Post
MY guess is that you downloaded the tar.gz with the sources. Or you are trying to execute a script that is not set to be executable. Right-click and make it executable. Try to do everything with the package manager for the start. You are making your life way too hard by trying to compile something, or getting programs from alien sources.
Get m-player or vlc along with the m-player plugin for firefox, and install the gstreamer plugins and ubuntu restricted extras. All of them are available through synaptic.
See Mega Mans link, and http://ubuntuguide.org/
Thanks to everyone who helped me on this..With the above, and i hate to admit it ,even with M Ms link,and everyones help,its resolved .
This thread has gotten personal,as i don't take shite! Especially from someone who is very rude and attacking.
I do apologise to everyone for my mistakes.I always have in the past,read my threads,as M M has obviously not!
He started way back,i likely should have brushed him off,but i refuse to be talked down to just because i am a "Newb and Dope"..Did everyone out here just spontaneously learn Linux and programming? Sometimes in learning something new we make a lot of mistakes! That is how we learn! ..People like M M make Linux look very cold,and unfriendly to the new commer.
Please close this Moderators...

Last edited by DAVE666; 01-31-2008 at 07:55 PM.
 
Old 01-31-2008, 08:02 PM   #23
DAVE666
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 145

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man X View Post
@DAVE666

I've noticed that you delete most of your questions once your problem has been solved. Stop doing that. The point in having a forum is that other users having similar problems to yours will find your thread through the search and fix their problems.

And just so you know... Real Player is awful too. Don't waste your time with it. Read this about installing programs in Ubuntu:

http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/
This is where your attitude started.
You talk to me like i am a child.
Instead of politely stating what you wanted to,you seize an opportunity to talk down to new people.
My post deletions were mistakes!
 
Old 01-31-2008, 08:06 PM   #24
DAVE666
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 145

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man X View Post
Try doing this in Xubuntu. Click in applications, then:

System -> Preferences ->Preferred Applications
On a parting note if you would like,maybe you could clear up what this advice was for?
I know it was a joke! My point in responding was that,you just threw it at me and didn't offer any advice after making it.
Anyway this thread is done,you and i are done.
 
Old 01-31-2008, 08:13 PM   #25
win32sux
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 9,870

Rep: Reputation: 377Reputation: 377Reputation: 377Reputation: 377
DAVE666, if you still have questions about the original issue you are welcome to post them. The way software packages are managed on GNU/Linux can indeed take some time to "get" when one is just getting started. That said, please refrain from making any more off-topic posts, this isn't your blog and it certainly isn't a chat room. At this point, I don't see any reason why this thread should be closed, because as long as everyone makes an effort to get it back on-topic there is still hope for it.
 
Old 01-31-2008, 08:16 PM   #26
DAVE666
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 145

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE666 View Post
On a parting note if you would like,maybe you could clear up what this advice was for?
I know it was a joke! My point in responding was that,you just threw it at me and didn't offer any advice after making it.
Anyway this thread is done,you and i are done.
To:Moderators
I just wanted to point out that some old timers like M M are making what this whole forum,and section is about very difficult for new people.
I mean it is very scary dropping an OS that you have used for years,and come to know as the only way etc,and then have to face rude arrogant people,people who seem to forget that they were not born programmers!
Yes new people may come across as being stupid,scatter brained,frustrated etc etc that is because most of us are!
I apologise to everyone out here who got in on this personal matter,i will not however feel sorry for what i said to M M,people like him do not help the Linux cause!!!.He claims to be a "LINUX GURU" Do not experienced,smart,Gurus offer solid advice,are patient and tolerant etc? He is anything but a "GURU"
Thanks..Please close this.

Last edited by DAVE666; 01-31-2008 at 08:30 PM.
 
Old 01-31-2008, 08:20 PM   #27
DAVE666
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 145

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by win32sux View Post
DAVE666, if you still have questions about the original issue you are welcome to post them. The way software packages are managed on GNU/Linux can indeed take some time to "get" when one is just getting started. That said, please refrain from making any more off-topic posts, this isn't your blog and it certainly isn't a chat room. At this point, I don't see any reason why this thread should be closed, because as long as everyone makes an effort to get it back on-topic there is still hope for it.
Thanks.
I started the thread by asking a question,and it was eventually answered,or actually through trial and error as well as patience it was resolved.
I will refrain from getting personal in the future.
You are dead right! It is not a chat room..I am here to learn,however i am not here to be talked down to.
I am loving my experience with Linux thus far ,and am learning something new everyday,i cannot say that for MS xp..Well actually MS taught me alot of things that i need to now un learn.
Thanks for your advice.
 
Old 01-31-2008, 08:29 PM   #28
win32sux
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 9,870

Rep: Reputation: 377Reputation: 377Reputation: 377Reputation: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE666 View Post
through trial and error as well as patience it was resolved.
Could you elaborate a bit? You managed to get the file to open with which program? Would it be possible for you to post a link to where you got the file which you were referring to? That way we can know exactly what kind of file it was/is.


EDIT: I just stopped by real.com and grabbed a RealPlayer10GOLD.bin file.

Is that the one you were referring to?

Last edited by win32sux; 01-31-2008 at 08:38 PM.
 
Old 01-31-2008, 09:00 PM   #29
DAVE666
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 145

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by win32sux View Post
Could you elaborate a bit? You managed to get the file to open with which program? Would it be possible for you to post a link to where you got the file which you were referring to? That way we can know exactly what kind of file it was/is.


EDIT: I just stopped by real.com and grabbed a RealPlayer10GOLD.bin file.

Is that the one you were referring to?
Good one..lol
First i switched from Real Player as the advice given was wrong,as some people indicated Real player was all right for what i wanted.
I installed the Gstreamer plugins..For Rythm box
I also found that by right clicking a file>properties,you can set default and several applications to open the file with,in the right click menu you can make a choice for regular file programs.
We can close this now,thanks.
 
Old 01-31-2008, 09:15 PM   #30
win32sux
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 9,870

Rep: Reputation: 377Reputation: 377Reputation: 377Reputation: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE666 View Post
Good one..lol
First i switched from Real Player as the advice given was wrong,as some people indicated Real player was all right for what i wanted.
I installed the Gstreamer plugins..For Rythm box
Oh, I see. Well, while on the subject of gstreamer plugins, I would like to say that you might be interested in a meta-package called ubuntu-restricted-extras. It'll install a crapload of plugins and codecs which will allow you to watch all sorts of media. For more info about this, click here.

Quote:
I also found that by right clicking a file>properties,you can set default and several applications to open the file with,in the right click menu you can make a choice for regular file programs.
True. But be careful with this. Take for example the RealPlayer10GOLD.bin file. If I double-click it I'll get a "No application suitable for automatic installation is available for handling this kind of file" error message. Depending on your level of security-awareness, this might or might not be a good thing. Personally, I would NOT change this behavior, as I feel more comfortable knowing that it'll be tough to accidentally execute some miscellaneous (and potentially dangerous) binary. In order to execute the RealPlayer10GOLD.bin file I'd actually need to open a terminal, make the file executable, and then execute it:
Code:
chmod +x RealPlayer10GOLD.bin

./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin
Quote:
We can close this now,thanks.
We don't close threads without valid reasons. If you have a valid reason for which you want this thread closed, please use the Report button instead of making the requests within the thread. Thanks.

Last edited by win32sux; 01-31-2008 at 09:16 PM.
 
  


Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
programs slow opening obstinatesod Linux - Software 1 12-10-2005 04:38 AM
Opening programs in Java Diederick Programming 6 06-27-2005 03:58 PM
Opening programs in Mandrake 8.0 DYFLID Linux - Newbie 5 12-15-2004 05:18 PM
Programs keep opening! antjessopuk Linux - Newbie 1 10-17-2003 06:52 AM
Slow opening programs t1mc00per Linux - General 19 04-10-2003 06:59 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration