LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
vincent90152900
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Posts: 23

Rep: Reputation: 15
Please suggest me a document management software.


Hi,

I am a IT volunteer works in the Solomon Islands.

Solomon Islands is a developing country and does not have much budget, so I think Linux is idea for Solomon Islands.

Solomon Islands Government has many thousands documents in hard copy for many years.

I want to find a solution for scan all the documents and stored it in the server.

Then, people can read the documents and update information about the documents via browser.

Also, I need membership function for manage users and permission to access documents.

Please give me some suggestions.

Many thanks.
 
Old 03-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
mark_alfred
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Distribution: Ubuntu Linux 16.04
Posts: 1,258

Rep: Reputation: 147Reputation: 147
xsane is for scanners, and once you have created a pnm graphic file, you can convert it to either djvu or pdf via gscan2pdf. In fact, you may not even need xsane, and be able to use the scanner with just gscan2pdf (though I've always used xsane to first create the graphic of the hard-copy, and then used gscan2pdf to convert the graphic to a document.)

Last edited by mark_alfred; 03-07-2010 at 10:08 PM.
 
Old 03-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
bret381
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Location: Alabama
Distribution: Arch x86_64
Posts: 650

Rep: Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent90152900 View Post
I want to find a solution for scan all the documents and stored it in the server.
Then, people can read the documents and update information about the documents via browser.
I don't think you will be able to do both.... You can scan the documents into the server, but then they will be image files and can not be edited via a browser.

However, you could use a wiki on a webserver to display the documents, after they were typed in by hand... ugh and then allow the files to be edited. So it's more of a question of which you want more. Easier availability to VIEW the documents, or to be able to edit the documents.
 
Old 03-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
mark_alfred
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Distribution: Ubuntu Linux 16.04
Posts: 1,258

Rep: Reputation: 147Reputation: 147
xsane has a function for converting the scanned image into text, but, admittedly, this function is quite error prone.
 
Old 03-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
bret381
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Location: Alabama
Distribution: Arch x86_64
Posts: 650

Rep: Reputation: 78
well I guess it's a start anyway. I didn't know that was possible
 
Old 03-07-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
Smartpatrol
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 196

Rep: Reputation: 38
...

Last edited by Smartpatrol; 03-11-2010 at 11:09 PM.
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
mark_alfred
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Distribution: Ubuntu Linux 16.04
Posts: 1,258

Rep: Reputation: 147Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bret381 View Post
well I guess it's a start anyway. I didn't know that was possible
Yes, it's called "optical character recognition". It'll only work if what is being scanned has been typewritten -- it won't work with handwritten documents.

It's not the best. Just now I tested it with a document that had the following:

"So, in future, if the News is publishing a piece that clearly is opinionated, then kindly label it as an editorial, rather than mislabelling it as balanced news coverage."

What I got was:

"So, in fure, if the News is publishing a piece that clearly is opinionated, then ndly label it as editorial, rather than mislabelling it as balanced news coverage."

So, several errors in one sentence, and the rest of the document likewise had errors. Still, as you say, it may be a start. It may, however, be faster to simply hire a bunch of typists to retype the hard copies into new documents on the computer, rather than scanning them into text and subsequently reviewing and correcting them.
 
Old 03-07-2010, 11:03 PM   #8
mark_alfred
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Distribution: Ubuntu Linux 16.04
Posts: 1,258

Rep: Reputation: 147Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartpatrol View Post
Microsoft Sharepoint Server will do exactly what you are looking for.
O3Spaces is a Linux equivalent to Sharepoint, and I'm guessing it would be less expensive.
 
Old 03-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #9
catkin
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Tamil Nadu, India
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 8,576
Blog Entries: 31

Rep: Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent90152900 View Post
Solomon Islands Government has many thousands documents in hard copy for many years.

I want to find a solution for scan all the documents and stored it in the server.

Then, people can read the documents and update information about the documents via browser.
A common situation and wish

Before you do too much work on the technology, it might be worth a quick calculation of how many person-hours it will take. Try scanning in one document and manually creating the keywords that would be necessary to search for it.

Another aspect to consider is the data volume and implications for backup. Without OCR (and the best OCR is expensive, the free OCR unsatisfactory as posted above) each page will be a graphic. How many TB will the "many thousands documents" be?
 
Old 03-08-2010, 04:09 AM   #10
vincent90152900
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Posts: 23

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_alfred View Post
xsane is for scanners, and once you have created a pnm graphic file, you can convert it to either djvu or pdf via gscan2pdf. In fact, you may not even need xsane, and be able to use the scanner with just gscan2pdf (though I've always used xsane to first create the graphic of the hard-copy, and then used gscan2pdf to convert the graphic to a document.)
Hi Mark,

Many thanks for your replying.

I will take a tried.
 
Old 03-08-2010, 04:17 AM   #11
vincent90152900
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Posts: 23

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bret381 View Post
I don't think you will be able to do both.... You can scan the documents into the server, but then they will be image files and can not be edited via a browser.

However, you could use a wiki on a webserver to display the documents, after they were typed in by hand... ugh and then allow the files to be edited. So it's more of a question of which you want more. Easier availability to VIEW the documents, or to be able to edit the documents.
Hi bret381,

Many thanks for your replying.

I do need to edit the image file.

I just want to provide some basic information for the documents for people to search it latter.

So I need a solution to find and view the documents fast.

Currently, it is impossible to find a document, because they only have hard copies and too many of them.

I need a solution for people to store image file of the document and provide basic information about the document.

Then people can search it and update the information about the document.

I need membership feature too, because some documents only for some members to view or update information about the documents.

Thank you very much.
 
Old 03-08-2010, 04:20 AM   #12
vincent90152900
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Posts: 23

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_alfred View Post
xsane has a function for converting the scanned image into text, but, admittedly, this function is quite error prone.
I think that I will use the OCR result as part of the basic information about the document.

This information is only for searching.

Many thanks for your replying.
 
Old 03-08-2010, 04:23 AM   #13
vincent90152900
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Posts: 23

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bret381 View Post
well I guess it's a start anyway. I didn't know that was possible
Hi bret381,

Many thanks for your replying.

Thank you very much.
 
Old 03-08-2010, 04:24 AM   #14
vincent90152900
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Posts: 23

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartpatrol View Post
Microsoft Sharepoint Server will do exactly what you are looking for.
Hi Smartpatrol,

Many thanks for your suggestion.

However, I am looking for a open source solution.
 
Old 03-08-2010, 04:26 AM   #15
vincent90152900
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Posts: 23

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_alfred View Post
O3Spaces is a Linux equivalent to Sharepoint, and I'm guessing it would be less expensive.

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for your suggestion.

I will take it a look.

Thank you again.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Enterprise Document Management Software MrJoshua Linux - Software 0 01-11-2007 10:37 AM
document management software kevinatkins Linux - Software 1 07-12-2006 01:01 PM
LXer: Knowledgetree Document Management Software Now Available in ... LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 05-10-2006 07:54 PM
any software for enterprise document management system??? yenonn Linux - Software 2 09-14-2005 01:44 AM
document management software suggestion Niceman2005 Linux - General 1 04-29-2005 08:29 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration