LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-27-2004, 11:07 PM   #1
m3s3lf
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Distribution: SuSe 9.1
Posts: 41

Rep: Reputation: 15
Angry Please help, very frustrated!


OK, got Suse 9.1 installed and I really want to like it. Never messed w/ Linux before, but I'm good with Winblows. Problem is, I can't get the friggin' permissions thing down to install anything! I download something from the internet and try to install it with a user login, but don't have permission to write to the folders I want to install to ("usr/local/bin" - I'm told), even though I give YaST my root password when it asks. So... I login as root, which takes me directly into YaST. Now I don't know how to get to the software I downloaded! I can't even find a way to get to a "command line" (pardon me if that's the the Linux term) and if I did, I wouldn't know what to do with it. For my user, I checked every box under "Additional Group Membership" and changed "Default group" to "root" trying to give my user permission, but to no avail! Some one please help!
 
Old 10-27-2004, 11:23 PM   #2
anubhuti_k
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: India
Distribution: Suse 9.1
Posts: 29

Rep: Reputation: 15
If u have download a software from a login other than root login i guess u might have pasted it in /home/username directory or /home/username/Desktop
You can open that directory using konqueror
in linux u can install anything only if u login as root
Command line which is called terminal or conaole in linux
u can get by preessing F1(main menu)
then move to system then terminal and finally Konsole
 
Old 10-27-2004, 11:29 PM   #3
detpenguin
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: lost in the midwest...
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,091

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
OK, got Suse 9.1 installed and I really want to like it. Never messed w/ Linux before, but I'm good with Winblows. Problem is, I can't get the friggin' permissions thing down to install anything! I download something from the internet and try to install it with a user login, but don't have permission to write to the folders I want to install to ("usr/local/bin" - I'm told), even though I give YaST my root password when it asks. So... I login as root, which takes me directly into YaST. Now I don't know how to get to the software I downloaded! I can't even find a way to get to a "command line" (pardon me if that's the the Linux term) and if I did, I wouldn't know what to do with it. For my user, I checked every box under "Additional Group Membership" and changed "Default group" to "root" trying to give my user permission, but to no avail! Some one please help!
welcome to linux!!! ok, to start...the things you downloaded probably downloaded into your home directory....so, logged in as user, open that directory, and you should see them. you're using suse, so i'm assuming you've downloaded the RPM file for whatever it is you wanna install. click on the rpm file, and you should be prompted for the root password..enter that, and then yast will open and install it for you.

the "command line" is anything in a terminal, basically, such as konsole or xterm. it's the little shell looking icon on your task bar if you're using KDE...

i highly recommend you check out:

http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/

it's an online tutorial that is full of useful information for you, and it's pretty easy to follow.
 
Old 10-28-2004, 12:01 AM   #4
m3s3lf
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Distribution: SuSe 9.1
Posts: 41

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by detpenguin
welcome to linux!!! ok, to start...the things you downloaded probably downloaded into your home directory....so, logged in as user, open that directory, and you should see them. you're using suse, so i'm assuming you've downloaded the RPM file for whatever it is you wanna install. click on the rpm file, and you should be prompted for the root password..enter that, and then yast will open and install it for you.

the "command line" is anything in a terminal, basically, such as konsole or xterm. it's the little shell looking icon on your task bar if you're using KDE...

i highly recommend you check out:

http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/

it's an online tutorial that is full of useful information for you, and it's pretty easy to follow.
First of all, thank you both for the quick and thurough responses. The Linux community is awesome!
You are correct, I have downloaded the RPM files to my "downloaded files" folder in my home directory (for that user). I click on the RPM file and put in my root password, but when YaST comes up, there's nothing in the box on the left. I can click on accept, but nothing happens... it just closes. This happens with every RPM file.
Thanks for your help,
Billy
 
Old 10-28-2004, 12:07 AM   #5
m3s3lf
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Distribution: SuSe 9.1
Posts: 41

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by anubhuti_k
If u have download a software from a login other than root login i guess u might have pasted it in /home/username directory or /home/username/Desktop
You can open that directory using konqueror
in linux u can install anything only if u login as root
Command line which is called terminal or conaole in linux
u can get by preessing F1(main menu)
then move to system then terminal and finally Konsole
Thanks for the response! I got to the Konsole, but I don't know how to use that to install it either. There's gotta be a way to do it through the GUI, right?
Thanks!
Billy
 
Old 10-28-2004, 12:21 AM   #6
itsjustme
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Earth
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, Smoothwall
Posts: 1,571

Rep: Reputation: 45
Personally, I've never clicked on an icon to install anything in linux, but I suppose it can be done.

Most of us have been frustrated when we came from wndows to linux. It takes a whole new mind set.

Keep at it. You'll get it.

If you're at a command line and have an .rpm file, as I recall, the command is:

rpm -ivh filename.rpm

Last edited by itsjustme; 10-28-2004 at 12:23 AM.
 
Old 10-28-2004, 12:26 AM   #7
m3s3lf
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Distribution: SuSe 9.1
Posts: 41

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by itsjustme
Personally, I've never clicked on an icon to install anything in linux, but I suppose it can be done.

Most of us have been frustrated when we came from wndows to linux. It takes a whole new mind set.

Keep at it. You'll get it.

If you're at a command line and have an .rpm file, as I recall, the command is:

rpm -ivh filename.rpm
The hardest part is being a again after being a "genious" at windows for as long as I can remember

I'll see what I can do with the command line. Thanks man!
Billy
 
Old 10-28-2004, 12:31 AM   #8
m3s3lf
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Distribution: SuSe 9.1
Posts: 41

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by m3s3lf

I'll see what I can do with the command line. Thanks man!
Billy
Real quick, what's the command to change directory to "My Downloads"? cd My Downloads doesn't work of course.
Thanks,
Billy

EDIT - got around it, but still curious.

Last edited by m3s3lf; 10-28-2004 at 12:34 AM.
 
Old 10-28-2004, 12:54 AM   #9
granny
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Distribution: RH
Posts: 141

Rep: Reputation: 15
ok, once you drop to a terminal, follow these instructions.

If you are logged in as a normal user...

su - This will switch you to root (you can tell because you will see a # instead of a $ at the end of the prompt!)

Then, if you are not in the right diretory try this...

cd ~user/my\ downloads these will be tricks in linux you want to learn. First off the ~ specified "home" . By typing ~user this will take you to /home/user or whatever the username is

Notice I put a \ after the word my and before downloads. Actually I put the \ before a space. This tells your shell to interprut the next characted literally as a space instead of a special/meta character of sorts. You can also use "" around whatever you type in to escape special character meaning.

Do an ls to make sure the file is there

Then run rpm -ivh softwareprogam.rpm

The i is for install, v is for verbose (tells you what it's doing) and h is to show hash marks (as it progresses) you don't need the v or h, but it let's you know what it is doing instead of just sitting there.

Hope this helps!!! Welcom to the world of the penguin!
 
Old 10-28-2004, 01:12 AM   #10
m3s3lf
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Distribution: SuSe 9.1
Posts: 41

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
You guys friggin' rock! I got like 3 programs installed!
Thanks a million!
 
Old 10-28-2004, 10:50 AM   #11
granny
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Distribution: RH
Posts: 141

Rep: Reputation: 15
now if you really wanna have some fun, start compiling programs from tarballs

then, find a debian based distro and figure out dpkg!

Once again, welcome to the Linux world. If ya need anymore help, just post!

And don't forget to have fun!!!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New and frustrated galantesghost LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 2 09-11-2005 05:16 PM
I am frustrated (HELP) dimsun Linux - Newbie 3 11-02-2004 09:29 PM
getting really frustrated... minm Linux - Software 17 09-27-2004 11:25 PM
Frustrated Linuxfrog Linux - Hardware 2 06-23-2004 06:06 PM
So frustrated!!! brit Mandriva 7 09-16-2003 07:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration