LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2006, 01:51 AM   #1
binjured
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Posts: 28

Rep: Reputation: 15
Please, help me make the switch!


I have wanted to make the switch from Windows for quite a long time now, probably a couple years actually. I tried Linux on my own back when Fedora Core 2 came out and was, overall, impressed with it. Unfortunately, the support for a few programs and hardware devices I needed was unavailable even through emulation. Well, more accurately most of my programs; I was quite windows-dependent. I've been working hard to curb my need for Windows and have replaced most of my general-purpose programs with OS or Linux-compatible programs. I use Firefox, Thunderbird, GAIM, Open Office, and so forth. However, I still have some dependencies that I need experienced Linux users to help me get to Linux -- or get an equivilent of. I have been racking my brain, going over all my installed programs, etc. Here's some general info:

My Occupation: Web Developer/Designer; Programmer
My Hobbies: Computer Gaming, Internet
Most Likely Distros: Fedora Core 5 or Ubuntu

Questions:

1) My biggest hitch right now is to Adobe Photoshop CS2. As a designer I use Photoshop quite often and have yet to find any program that actually allows me to run it under Linux. Is there a program I don't know about that will let me do this? I know about GIMP, but I haven't tried it and heard it differs largely from Photoshop; I am actually planning to try out Pixel, but I already know it's missing important tools like the Pen. Besides that, I have a large number of PSD files. This is the biggest stopper; if anyone can tell me how to get it running under Linux I will throw a penguin party in your honor!

2) Another program I use constantly under Windows is "Roboform". This program allows me to store passwords / form data and, through a Firefox plugin, fill in forms with passwords, personal data, and etc. It is also portable, unlike Firefox's autoform thing. Does a comparable program exist for Linux? This is another necessity for me as I have way too many logins to keep track of without help!

3) This may be a really stupid question, but do TrueType fonts work under Linux? Another designer thing... another probably really dumb but quick question: will my Gaim logs work under Linux?

4) I use Media Player Classic with quite a few codecs to watch XviD movies and things of that nature, while I am sure equal (or better) programs exist for Linux, does getting codecs and the like to work require a degree in Linuxology?

5) Does linux have good NTFS / FAT32 support? I have an external hdd (fat32) and a couple NTFS partions that hold only data, would I be able to use these under Linux or would I need to back everything up on the NTFS partitions and then dump the files into Linux?

6) I use Acronis TrueImage for backup, could you give me the name of a good backup program for Linux?

7) As for gaming, I know of programs like Wine and Cedega that allow you to play certain games under Linux, but for that I will probably just dual-boot a minimalist Windows install for gaming-only (I can stand being in it if I'm not actually looking at it )


Phew! I know there are a lot of questions, I bet a lot that have already been covered, but I did my best to Google everything before asking specifically about something (if I hadn't there would be about 100 more questions ). I really want to leave Windows, not only for the performance gain (it's been almost unbearable recently, I don't know what's going on), but also because as a web developer/programmer I find most of the development tools I want to use are made for Linux and a lot of them only have thorough documentation for Linux installation, configuration, and etc. Beyond that, I will soon have to Admin my own dedicated web server which will be running Linux, so I'd love to get a head start on that.

If you've gotten this far, thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any information you provide!

Last edited by binjured; 06-07-2006 at 02:09 AM.
 
Old 06-07-2006, 02:11 AM   #2
Robert0380
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: Atlanta
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 1,280

Rep: Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by binjured

1) My biggest hitch right now is to Adobe Photoshop CS2. As a designer I use Photoshop quite often and have yet to find any program that actually allows me to run it under Linux. Is there a program I don't know about that will let me do this? I know about GIMP, but I haven't tried it and heard it differs largely from Photoshop; I am actually planning to try out Pixel, but I already know it's missing important tools like the Pen. Besides that, I have a large number of PSD files. This is the biggest stopper; if anyone can tell me how to get it running under Linux I will throw a penguin party in your honor
You've answered your own question here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binjured
2) Another program I use constantly under Windows is "Roboform". This program allows me to store passwords / form data and, through a Firefox plugin, fill in forms with passwords, personal data, and etc. It is also portable, unlike Firefox's autoform thing. Does a comparable program exist for Linux? This is another necessity for me as I have way too many logins to keep track of without help!
Sounds very insecure to me and I would't recommend using anything that does this, not even in firefox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binjured
3) This may be a really stupid question, but do TrueType fonts work under Linux? Another designer thing... another probably really dumb but quick question: will my Gaim logs work under Linux?
I'm not big on font stuff, and I haven't useg Gaim in years but that should be an easy find, try googling for
"gaim logs" at google.com/linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by binjured
4) I use Media Player Classic with quite a few codecs to watch XviD movies and things of that nature, while I am sure equal (or better) programs exist for Linux, does getting codecs and the like to work require a degree in Linuxology?
mplayer works

Quote:
Originally Posted by binjured
5) Does linux have good NTFS / FAT32 support? I have an external hdd (fat32) and a couple NTFS partions that hold only data, would I be able to use these under Linux or would I need to back everything up on the NTFS partitions and then dump the files into Linux?
Linux can read and write to FAT32 with no problems, last I checked, NTFS reads were stable but not writing.
If anyone knows different, speak up

Quote:
Originally Posted by binjured
6) Is there a way to run (or equiv. of) Alcohol 120%?
no clue what that is

Quote:
Originally Posted by binjured
7) I use Acronis TrueImage for backup, could you give me the name of a good backup program for Linux?
the "dd" command works fine here, or "tar" , dd will copy the disk image, tar will create
an archive of files that can then be compressed using zip or more commonly in Linux gzip

Quote:
Originally Posted by binjured
8) As for gaming, I know of programs like Wine and Cedega that allow you to play certain games under Linux, but for that I will probably just dual-boot a minimalist Windows install for gaming-only (I can stand being in it if I'm not actually looking at it )
games like Unreal Tournament and Americas Army run natively in Linux. If you plan on dual booting,
you could also maybe keep around some of your other software that you're used to while you transition.


Good Luck,

Robert
 
Old 06-07-2006, 02:21 AM   #3
binjured
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Posts: 28

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thanks for the fast reply!

RE: Photoshop
Would "Win4Lin" be a suitable solution to this problem (would also nix the fonts issue)? I've been researching GIMP and I really don't think it's going to be a true replacement for PS and I don't really mind running a few programs within a Windows shell so long as it doesn't have to be open or active all the time; in that case I might as well just use Windows.

RE: Roboform
All the passwords are encrypted, it's quite secure I have become addicted to hitting "fill and submit" and never entering anything into a forum.

RE: Alcohol
Nevermind, I forgot I already looked at their site and saw they have a Linux version.


Thank you for the other answers
 
Old 06-07-2006, 02:25 AM   #4
BobNutfield
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Distribution: Fedora , Ubuntu, Slackware-Current
Posts: 1,477

Rep: Reputation: 51
Hi

Maybe it's premature, but welcome to Linux. If you are serious about wanting to dump the Redmond Rag, then you will ALL of your needs mentioned above above more than amply met in Linux (with the possible exception of the gaming issue. While gaming is available in Linux through Wine and Cedega, you are not yet going to get the same gaming experience under Linux.)

1. You mention that you familiar with the Gimp. I am not an expert, but I know experts who claim that not only is the Gimp as capable as Photoshop, but actually surpasses it in many areas. The only area I know of that the Gimp is lacking is in its use of RGB and lack of CYMK support (but that is due to be reconciled soon.)

2. The KWallet and similar programs all across the Linux distros have some sort of password storage program, and with your experience, creating your own would be rather simple.

3. Yes Linux supports True Type fonts, including Microsoft's.

4. In Windows, the Windows media player seems to want to control everything media-wise. While I know there is other software for media in Windows (PowerDVD, etc.) this is where I believe Linux whips Windows hands down. You will all the media players/creators you could ever want in Linux (Xine, mplayer, VLC, Rhythmbox, and on and on........)

5. Not only does Linux have NTFS/FAT support, you can now even write to NTFS from a mounted partition.

6. As far as A120%, burning CD's in Linux can be done with GUI software or from the command line with CDRECORD, and provide much more control over the process than A120% possibly could. Storing CD's for access (as I understand A120%'s main purpose, I don't use it), is no issue in Linux if you have the hard drive space.

7. I can think of at least a half dozen different means of backup under Linux, all of them as good or superior to Acronis.

8. Gaming, if you MUST have it, then I would keep a Windows partition available just for that reason.

You will get a number responses to a post like this with differing opinions, but you can answer most of these questions yourself with a little more research. I CAN tell you that there seems to be a far more helpful community of Linux users than I ever experienced with Windows. Oh, and by the way, in case you didn't know, Linux is far more secure (with common sense) and it is usually FREE!

Hope this helps

Bob
 
Old 06-07-2006, 02:27 AM   #5
rkelsen
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 1,960

Rep: Reputation: 333Reputation: 333Reputation: 333Reputation: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by binjured
3) This may be a really stupid question, but do TrueType fonts work under Linux?
Yes. Linux supports TTF and Type 1 fonts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binjured
6) Is there a way to run (or equiv. of) Alcohol 120%?
Yes, but it doesn't use a proprietary protocol under Linux.

We use iso9660 images (a.k.a. iso files). You can mount them with the 'mount' command. This is known as loop mounting.

Read the manpages for 'losetup' and 'mount' for more info.
 
Old 06-07-2006, 02:42 AM   #6
binjured
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Posts: 28

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Damn, more instantaneous replies!

Thanks for the welcome Bob, here's hoping I actually get to put both feet forward this time! I am actually not familiar with Gimp, but I will be testing it out prior to "leaving" Windows. I also read about Gimpshop which may be a helpful addition as well. At this point if I can just get an equiv. to Photoshop I will be good to go for the most part. It's going to take a lot more work to get really good with Linux, but I am really on my last nerve with Windows; I want to use it for games and that's it (and I'd rather just use an emulator or something like Win4Lin for that!).

Another BIG questions I forgot!
I run a local server, local as in it is on my LAN. With windows I simply set it up as a network drive and I can access all the shared folders, can I do this on Linux (assumedly with 'mount' or something)?

Last edited by binjured; 06-07-2006 at 03:20 AM.
 
Old 06-07-2006, 03:27 AM   #7
muha
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: xubuntu, grml
Posts: 451

Rep: Reputation: 37
@network-sharing: samba would be the way to go. Me myself i use a local webserver, apache. The drawback of apache is that you can't download a selection of files (at once)(without hacks at the client side) whereas with samba you can.

rute guide on samba

Last edited by muha; 06-07-2006 at 03:50 AM.
 
Old 06-07-2006, 04:17 AM   #8
luiz1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Location: San DIego
Distribution: SUSE
Posts: 10
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
You can emulate CS2 with winerack v 1.0
I've installed CS2 with this older version of winerack and it still works
go here http://www.codeweavers.com/products/
and you can even download a trial version of wine.
You will be able to install office and other windows applications.

And I know for a fact that SUSE has very good support on writting/reading to NTFS/FAT32 partitions. As for Fedora Core I've never tried it.
 
Old 06-07-2006, 04:32 AM   #9
binjured
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Posts: 28

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by luiz1
You can emulate CS2 with winerack v 1.0
I've installed CS2 with this older version of winerack and it still works
go here http://www.codeweavers.com/products/
and you can even download a trial version of wine.
You will be able to install office and other windows applications.

And I know for a fact that SUSE has very good support on writting/reading to NTFS/FAT32 partitions. As for Fedora Core I've never tried it.
Near as I can tell, Wine Rack was discontinued quite a while ago. Codeweavers now offers "Crossover Office" which, according to the apps db, is known to not work with Photoshop CS2. Wine has always been free (as far as I know), and WineX is apparently now Transgaming's Cedega. Am I missing something?
 
Old 06-07-2006, 05:28 AM   #10
craigevil
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: OZ
Distribution: Debian Sid
Posts: 4,734
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 461Reputation: 461Reputation: 461Reputation: 461Reputation: 461
Many people have had success using Photoshop with wine.

Gimpshop is GIMP only designed to look more like Photoshop, the only drawback to Gimpshop is its not updated as often as Gimp.

I found this book very helpful in switching from Photshop to the GIMP.
Grokking the GIMP
http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/Grokking_the_GIMP.html

MS Office 2000 will work in wine.

Why not just use the built-in password/form manager in Firefox instead of roboform?

Multimedia support in Linux is as good or even better than windows.

I suggest you try out a few LiveCDs to get a feel for how Linux looks and works. Maybe even install Vmplayer in windows.
 
Old 06-07-2006, 10:35 AM   #11
luiz1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Location: San DIego
Distribution: SUSE
Posts: 10
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by binjured
Near as I can tell, Wine Rack was discontinued quite a while ago. Codeweavers now offers "Crossover Office" which, according to the apps db, is known to not work with Photoshop CS2. Wine has always been free (as far as I know), and WineX is apparently now Transgaming's Cedega. Am I missing something?
Winerack v 1.0 came out before CS2 came out and it still works. I'm not saying that CODEWEAVERS emulation software will work for you , what I'm saying is that its worth a try.
 
Old 06-07-2006, 04:52 PM   #12
binjured
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Posts: 28

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by luiz1
Winerack v 1.0 came out before CS2 came out and it still works. I'm not saying that CODEWEAVERS emulation software will work for you , what I'm saying is that its worth a try.
Ah, I see. I looked around for a way to download Winerack but couldn't find it, I may give the trial of Codeweaver's program a try just to see if it will work with PS, but I am actually going to try my best to learn GIMP.

As of right now I have chosen to try out Ubuntu; after reading about it in Tux magazine I think it is a good fit for me and the community aspect of it should help me out greatly with my transition. I will be dual-booting to Windows because from what I've read none of the "play games on Linux" solutions create an environment as good as native Windows for gaming (which is a shame); I hope this changes in the future. One good thing is it will probably make me more productive as I will be forced to reboot in order to stop working and play a game (that, or I am just use my current server box for my linux box / true local server and use this for gaming, but that's a future change).

If you frequent this forum you will probably be seeing a lot of this Linux because my old one-month stint with Linux will probably not be sufficient. Hopefully this move will not only make my everyday computing experience better, but also make me a better and more well-rounded programmer to boot! I would like to thank everyone for their help so far; the quality of the Linux community as a whole, both now and in my previous experience, has been a big factor in my switch.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a good .NET IDE for Linux? I read somewhere that Visual Studio 2005 was coming to Linux, but I am pretty sure that was an April Fools joke.

Also, is there a way to Import e-mail/address book/settings from Thunderbird->Evolution? I'd kinda like to try out the program.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linux newbie trying to make the switch robogymnast LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 3 12-30-2005 04:29 PM
Just about ready to make the switch, but... Mizutsuki Linux - Games 10 11-09-2005 11:17 AM
All I need to make the switch BigDummy Linux - Newbie 8 03-15-2004 09:18 AM
My first attempt to make the XP switch killswitch1968 Linux - Newbie 5 03-09-2004 01:19 AM
I Want To Make The Switch To Linux, But... mistamike Linux - General 3 08-11-2003 09:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration