LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Please help! How can I get an iPod Touch 4g to work!!!!!!!! (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/please-help-how-can-i-get-an-ipod-touch-4g-to-work-933510/)

xxrevenge. 03-08-2012 07:51 PM

Please help! How can I get an iPod Touch 4g to work!!!!!!!!
 
Hey, I have an iPod touch 4g and it gets recognized only as a camera, it doesn't work on either Amarok or Rythmbox!!! Though it's recognized when I type the command lsusb as Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05ac:129e Apple, Inc. iPod Touch 4.Gen. Any help? I really need to use my iPod to sync songs and such... By the way I am using OpenSUSE 12.1 kde 64-bit. Thanks in advance :)

frankbell 03-08-2012 09:25 PM

This is one reason I don't use Apple. Their darned wall orchard.

This article might help:

http://www.viviendolinux.com/en/inst...#axzz1oaC3r1qN

I have no way of testing it.

Knightron 03-08-2012 09:29 PM

Gday mate, i don't think you can sync with ipods (not owning an ipod my self, someone please correct me if i'm wrong) I have two suggestions.
1) try Clementine, and see if it's 'devices' function can.
2) This may not be the case, but when i used to own an ipod five years back, the songs were located in a hidden folder, on the device. If this is still the case, you may be able to manually put your songs on it, the same way you'd put them on a usb drive.

TKH 03-09-2012 05:54 AM

Or, a desperate solution:
Install wine, and install iTunes for Windows

ArfaSmif 03-09-2012 06:47 AM

Is it getting mounted under "/home/username/.gvfs/" ? Have a look there.

I know "banshee" is supposed to work ok with an iPod touch 4G (if you are happy to install the mono dependency and the rest!)

xxrevenge. 03-09-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArfaSmif (Post 4622609)
Is it getting mounted under "/home/username/.gvfs/" ? Have a look there.

I know "banshee" is supposed to work ok with an iPod touch 4G (if you are happy to install the mono dependency and the rest!)

Hmm.....apparently there's no such thing as /home/username/.gvfs/ in my computer...

xxrevenge. 03-09-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knightron (Post 4622361)
Gday mate, i don't think you can sync with ipods (not owning an ipod my self, someone please correct me if i'm wrong) I have two suggestions.
1) try Clementine, and see if it's 'devices' function can.
2) This may not be the case, but when i used to own an ipod five years back, the songs were located in a hidden folder, on the device. If this is still the case, you may be able to manually put your songs on it, the same way you'd put them on a usb drive.

OMG it did recognize it but as an ithing or something, but soon after I click it the window closes itself...did it again and it tells me that it couldn't find an iPod database on /tmp/qt_temp.u24402.

PracticingLuddite 03-09-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbell (Post 4622359)
This is one reason I don't use Apple. Their darned wall orchard.

This article might help:

http://www.viviendolinux.com/en/inst...#axzz1oaC3r1qN

I have no way of testing this.

I completely agree with your opinion on Apple, and avoid them. And I'm wondering why the OP is using Linux on Apple to get the ipod and ipad to synch? Why not use the native apple apps? Isn't that what's supposed to be so great about apple?
Based on xxrevenge's (the original poster) answer below, you can disregard this comment.

xxrevenge. 03-09-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PracticingLuddite (Post 4622860)
I completely agree with your opinion on Apple, and avoid them. And I'm wondering why the OP is using Linux on Apple to get the ipod and ipad to synch? Why not use the native apple apps? Isn't that what's supposed to be so great about apple?

I'm not using Linux on apple. I'm using Linux on a former Windows PC.... I just have an iPod that I had before switching to Linux, which I love btw :) And I want to try and make my iPod work...

TroN-0074 03-09-2012 03:06 PM

Do you have access to Banshee? did you try GTkpod? did you already do a linux Ipod managers google search? Have look in to RockBox software?.

xxrevenge. 03-09-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroN-0074 (Post 4622957)
Do you have access to Banshee? did you try GTkpod? did you already do a linux Ipod managers google search? Have look in to RockBox software?.

Tried Banshee...somehow it doesn't want to open, GTKpod doesn't recognize my ipod at all....I have tried a couple of programs (Amarok, Rythmbox, Clementine, Banshee, Gtkpod...) and none of them really work for me XP

John VV 03-09-2012 07:06 PM

I am not sure about the new ipods
i have a very old nano ( gift )
GTKpod works just fine ( fat formatted nano )


did you activate this ipod on a Mac ? or on a Winfows computer

if a mac then the ipod is formatted as HFS+
if on windows it is fat32

xxrevenge. 03-09-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John VV (Post 4623048)
I am not sure about the new ipods
i have a very old nano ( gift )
GTKpod works just fine ( fat formatted nano )


did you activate this ipod on a Mac ? or on a Winfows computer

if a mac then the ipod is formatted as HFS+
if on windows it is fat32

Yeah, it was formatted on Windows... :/

TroN-0074 03-09-2012 09:08 PM

Even though Linux is great because its openness and workability for the user case like this makes me keep a blue box just for these close source devices. In your case your iPod in my case is my TV that wont display at the right resolution when plug my OpenSuSE laptop to it. It will be crisp display when I plug my W7 laptop, I hate it.

Perhaps if you want to keep using your iPod you will have to wait until somebody develop the right software for you device or create a partition in your computer and install some cheap form of 3rd world OS just to manage your iPod.

Good luck to you.

frankbell 03-09-2012 09:28 PM

I have heard on various Linux podcasts that later iPod firmware rebels when one attempts to mount it without using some kind of iJunk.

iTunes in a Windows VM might be the best option, but research what type of access to USB the virtualizer provides first. I believe, for example, that the open source VirtualBox does not allow USB access.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 PM.