LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
linux/unix87
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Posts: 190

Rep: Reputation: 6
PlayOnLinux


my play on linux wont work i go to download a game and it just freezes then it asks me to force quit or wait is because of the computer im using a netbook nb305 toshiba with a intel atom processor with ubuntu netbook os?
 
Old 10-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,066
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910
play what?
 
Old 10-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Samotnik
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Belarus
Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux testing/unstable
Posts: 471

Rep: Reputation: 40
1. PlayOnLinux is a simple front-end to wine. But wine for today only partly implements real Windows system, and has a very basic support for DirectX. So many games simply can't be runned via wine, and via PlayOnLinux respectively.
2. Yes. Netbook with Atom processor is too weak to play 3d-games.
 
Old 10-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
linux/unix87
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Posts: 190

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 6
wine and play on linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samotnik View Post
1. PlayOnLinux is a simple front-end to wine. But wine for today only partly implements real Windows system, and has a very basic support for DirectX. So many games simply can't be runned via wine, and via PlayOnLinux respectively.
2. Yes. Netbook with Atom processor is too weak to play 3d-games.
how do you delete this then ill just use my other computer thanks for the info i appreciate it
 
Old 10-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,066
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910
I took the liberty to update the title so it matches the spelling
of the project, rather than it being a "weird sentence".
 
Old 10-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
linux/unix87
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Posts: 190

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkster View Post
I took the liberty to update the title so it matches the spelling
of the project, rather than it being a "weird sentence".
im just asking for a starting point thats all i would like to figure it out myself but im new so i dont know how to use the terminal or nolthing really ive already tried to delete it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Tinkster; 10-28-2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Pointless swearing removed...
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
evo2
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Japan
Distribution: Mostly Debian and Scientific Linux
Posts: 5,753

Rep: Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288
Dear OP,

Tinkster *was* helping.

By changing the subject of your post to something directly related to your problem the number of people who are familiar with that software and are therefore able to help will increase. I strongly suggest that you think a little and take a couple of deep breaths before posting further (that is if you haven't been banned already).

Evo2.
 
Old 10-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
linux/unix87
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Posts: 190

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo2 View Post
Dear OP,

Tinkster *was* helping.

By changing the subject of your post to something directly related to your problem the number of people who are familiar with that software and are therefore able to help will increase. I strongly suggest that you think a little and take a couple of deep breaths before posting further (that is if you haven't been banned already).

Evo2.
ok i really dont understand what he just said so what weird sentence and what other way could i put the subject it says to use keywords and if i do get banned there is other forums but i thought he was just being an ass and ive been fustrated with this for a while so thats probly what set me off. im new to forums so i dont know how they work at all i never used them so its a headache when i try to use the forums.
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #9
evo2
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Japan
Distribution: Mostly Debian and Scientific Linux
Posts: 5,753

Rep: Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288
Hi,

I'm not familiar with PlayOnLinux, but once I know how you instaleld it I can probably workout how to uninstall it.

I had a look at www.playonlinux.com and it seems that if you followed the instructions there you may have downloaded a .list file to /etc/apt/sorces.list.d/ and then installed it with the command "sudo apt-get install playonlinux". If this is the case, then you can remove it from your system with the following command.

Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge playonlinux
To really remove all traces of of it from your system you can also remove the .list file.
Code:
sudo rm /etc/apt/soures.list.d/playonlinux.list
HTH,

Evo2.
 
Old 10-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #10
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,066
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux/unix87 View Post
ok i really dont understand what he just said so what weird sentence and what other way could i put the subject it says to use keywords and if i do get banned there is other forums but i thought he was just being an ass and ive been fustrated with this for a while so thats probly what set me off. im new to forums so i dont know how they work at all i never used them so its a headache when i try to use the forums.

And I bet that with your attitude you'll be ever so popular
where ever you go... Tip for "the other forums": Try not to
insult moderators, it's commonly not too well received.


Cheers,
Tink

Last edited by Tinkster; 10-28-2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Punctuation
 
Old 10-28-2010, 11:39 PM   #11
linux/unix87
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Posts: 190

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkster View Post
And I bet that with your attitude you'll be ever so popular
where ever you go... Tip for "the other forums": Try not to
insult moderators, it's commonly not too well received.


Cheers,
Tink
well all i can say is sorry and by the way what is moderators out of curosity?
 
Old 10-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #12
linux/unix87
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Posts: 190

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 6
i tried those codes and i wasnt thinking but i already deleted play on linux but what i cant delete is wine thanks oh and how did you learn the code or where to find it i cant figure it out it would be much appreciated really. thanks again
 
Old 10-28-2010, 11:48 PM   #13
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Moderators are the tireless workers who make it possible for you to ask reasonable questions and get useful answers. Moderators are moderate in temperament and never get annoyed otherwise we'd call them immoderators. Above all, they all have an incredibly well developed sense of humour. At least I hope they do.
jdk
 
Old 10-29-2010, 12:00 AM   #14
evo2
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Japan
Distribution: Mostly Debian and Scientific Linux
Posts: 5,753

Rep: Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux/unix87 View Post
i tried those codes and i wasnt thinking but i already deleted play on linux but what i cant delete is wine thanks
You should be able to remove wine in the same way.
Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge wine
Quote:
oh and how did you learn the code or where to find it i cant figure it out it would be much appreciated really. thanks again
By reading the documentation and many years of experience working with linux every day.

"apt-get" is a package manager that you can use on debian derived systems (such as ubuntu) to install, remove, and in general manage packages of software. Try searching the web for something like "apt-get howto".

Cheers,

Evo2.
 
Old 10-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #15
linux/unix87
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Posts: 190

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 6
i tried that code and it said E: Invalid operation wine
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: PlayOnLinux 3.8.1 has been released LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-13-2010 12:20 PM
LXer: PlayOnLinux 3.7.6 is available LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 05-04-2010 02:30 AM
LXer: PlayOnLinux 3.7.5 is now available LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-29-2010 01:50 PM
where is playonlinux jbumgarjr Linux - Newbie 5 04-01-2010 04:01 AM
LXer: Review of PlayOnLinux LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 01-17-2008 03:50 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration